Author Topic: P40e  (Read 1181 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« on: August 19, 2004, 10:17:52 PM »
Hi Guys, have been working on the P40E, very slow.

Based in Port Moresby, New Guinea, April 42

75 sqdn RAAF.

[/IMG]

It is a slow work in progress. I still have to work out where the exhaust stack is on the bmp to paint it. :D
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
P40e
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 02:19:16 PM »
Looks good, keep it up.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 07:37:37 PM »
The latest shots.. All comments welcome (but I do tend to weep hysterically:D )

Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:39:08 PM »
Raw Prawns      

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 07:40:57 PM »
I like it but the circles look like blurry and the nose does too but very good :aok :aok :aok :aok  i hope to see it get published!:cool:

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 07:45:06 PM »
Thanks man, the circles? you mean the blue and white emblems? Ok I'll look at it.

I just saw nopoops P47, mine looks like a kindergarten attempt compared to his. Oh well.

Back to the drawing board. :lol
Raw Prawns      

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P40e
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 07:47:22 PM »
Looking good, and nice choice of subject!    

You could crank down the opacity of the panel lines - they look a bit too dark...

Keep at it!   I wanna see this one in game!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
P40e
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 08:05:19 PM »
FT it IS looking good. Your options depend what program your using. If possible make your panel lines one pixel in width. You make a black one and then back off on the opacity. Back it off until it looks "real" at the distance of your shot.

Then copy it and paste the copy over the top. Change the color to white, offset it one pixel and back that one off also. Now you have a 2 pixel width line, one side black, one side white ( keep them seperate ) Adjust them until they look right.

When they look good, start a shadow layer. Airbrush it maybe 8 or ten pixels wide in over your lines. ( experiment ) Then back that one off until it just a shadow.

Now you have the line, the highlight and the shadow. Just keep fiddling, you'll be surprised.

Hope this helps.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 08:13:01 PM »
Oboe, thanks for the comments I will work on the opacity.

Nopoop. First outstanding job on that P47, you da man.

Second. Im only dabbling in my spare time. How do I change the pixel size? Im using Paint shop pro 9. If I can work that part out I'll be able to follow the suggestion.

Also does merging the layers make a difference?

Thanks again guys.
Raw Prawns      

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 08:31:55 PM »
Oh one more thing to keep inmind if your making the plane have a "weathered" look make some exhaust soot it makes it look cool (see Cobra412s P51 skin for a GREAT example)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 08:49:04 PM »
thebest, thanks I already have the exhaust soot, its just to fine a detail to see in those photo's.

Nopoop. I've just been looking at reducing the opacity. Trouble is I've copied the panel lines a couple of times so that I could have different colours on each layer. Therefore I am getting up to 3 sets of panel lines  and if I decrease the opacity the colour goes out the window!. So How do I paint different colours without having to copy onto a panel line?

Thanks in advance
Raw Prawns      

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P40e
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 09:56:24 PM »
Can you make a layer containing just the panel lines and nothing else?  That's what most do I think.   You don't want 3 layers of panel lines on top of each other....

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 10:31:53 PM »
yes u can Oboe and then u can make it darker or lighter! :)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
P40e
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 11:50:27 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Can you make a layer containing just the panel lines and nothing else?  That's what most do I think.   You don't want 3 layers of panel lines on top of each other....

You can merge them but you don't want to. If you have a white panel line/rivit layer and a black panel line/rivit layer you can vary the opacity of each depending on what colors your painting.

Before I merged the black panel lines with the black rivits I copied them and made a white panel line/rivit layer. THEN I blurred the black rivits and merged them with the black panel lines. That way when you lay the white layer offset one pixel over the black, the black rivits are blurred with a sharp white "dot" offset on top.

So I use two layers of panel line/rivits. One white, one black. And adjust opacity of each depending on the color of the paint I'm working with. What looks good on an olive drab skin looks funny on a natural skin and visa versa.

Then when you weather you add more layers and mess with them while they sit on top of the ones you have already done.

For example look at the panel lines/rivits in this picture

It's essentially just four layers. A black layer with blurred rivits, an offset white layer and another full white layer layed directly over the top of the original white layer. The full white layer is erased with different opacities to give the effect of worn paint. Greebo taught me that.

The last layer is a shadow layer over the panel lines only to give them alittle depth.

If you keep the white and black panel line/rivit layers ALWAYS seperate, you can use them in any paint scheme.

I'm totally confused now but I hope that makes sense :D

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
P40e
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 06:20:43 AM »
I think Im going to start again, now its been mentioned to me the rivet lines stick out like the proverable dogs xxxxx's

I'll get back to you all. Thanks for the input
Raw Prawns