Author Topic: Bad Idea to Tazer Granny  (Read 914 times)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2004, 07:01:39 PM »
Btw Beet1e, what was the crock part?  You saying that and using the rolleyes is ambiguous.  Please explain.

Les

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2004, 07:22:23 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
What a crock. :rolleyes:

Im agreeing with the Beet oh my!
Leslie must not be to bright.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2004, 08:19:50 PM »
I heard from inside sources that the cops are Democrats and the Elderly couple are  Republicans....

Their Bumper sticker said

"Honk if you like GeeDub!"

:aok

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Was'nt she just sitting in the driveway honking the horn for slo-poke Fred? No radio call, right?

That is entirely possible RPM, and if so then the police over reacted.  I was only speculating on a possible hypothetical situation.  I'm sure the police have been there and done that, so to speak.  I certainly don't see anything wrong with calling in to get a second opinion, before doing something irreversible, as these officers took upon themselves to do.  Once action or a commitment was taken, it was there.

There's a lot of misunderstanding in this world that turns small misunderstandings into serious problems.  And that very well may have been what happened.  

This world is not a perfect place.  If it was, there would be no police or a need for them.  I absolutely condemn police brutality in any way, shape or form.  I find that stupid.  Police are representatives of the state, and what they can and can't do are covered by the constitution.

............................. ............................. .

Beet1e, I was completely serious about my first post.  And though I was perhaps wrong to attack you personally, it was good natured.  I was trying to get your goat.  I apologize for that.

X2Lee, I thank you for setting me straight, however I don't recall Beet1e saying I was stupid.   He only said my post was a crock.  You on the other hand added something to the  discussion beyond your ken imo.  I was interested in what Beet1e had to say, because I respect his opinion as well as yours.  

Now excuse me while I get back to my usual pursuit of not being too bright.  

Les

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2004, 09:36:29 PM »
Seems a whole lot of folks here been making judgements based on hearsay and a couple links of newspaper articles. Let the investigation and litigation continue. The results will likely be published later on.

The court is supposed to hear both sides of the situation before making a judgement. So far I have not seen but one side posted here. I'm not saying the situation was justified but I won't condemn or condone with only one side of the story.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2004, 09:52:56 PM »
Well, at least no one got hurt.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2004, 10:02:38 PM »
Originally posted by Drunky
Well, at least no one got hurt.

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com/joomla/index.php
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 11:10:49 PM »
Seems a whole lot of folks here been making judgements based on hearsay and a couple links of newspaper articles. Let the investigation and litigation continue.

The first sentence tells you it's not all hearsay:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Police said Friday two officers have been disciplined and department policy changed following an investigation into the officers use of a taser when arresting a 66-year-old grandmother who honked her car horn at a police cruiser.

Apparently someone in the investigation even thought they went to far if they disciplined them and changed department policy.

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 11:37:57 PM »
Anyone ever see that Sanderson Farms chicken commercial? Maybe the Granny was injected with phosphates and chicken broth - "BAKAWWWW!!"

Well maybe..

Offline SC-Sp00k

• Nickel Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 03:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by parker00
The first sentence tells you it's not all hearsay:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Police said Friday two officers have been disciplined and department policy changed following an investigation into the officers use of a taser when arresting a 66-year-old grandmother who honked her car horn at a police cruiser.

Apparently someone in the investigation even thought they went to far if they disciplined them and changed department policy.

Sorry mate. but are we reading the same first sentence? It tells me 2 fifths of sweet bugger all. Discipline in the Police as with any institution of its type takes many forms.  Examples include suspension, counselling (ie, youve been a very bad boy today, dont do it again), monetary penalties etc etc.  For all that sentence tells me, they may have been given a slap on the wrist for over exuberance but could still have been technically correct on their use of force given the "actual" incident.   Which I might add, at no point in either this discussion or related media attachments explains to me exactly what happened and why.

Les's hypothetical scenerio could well be true for all any of us know.  The Police dept isnt going to discuss a matter in depth down to the nitty gritty prior to a prosecution case being enacted.

It pays for Granny to arc up and claim to be the dischanted innocent victim, particularly in your country where the threat of civil litigation is a Police officers nightmare and probably does far more harm than good to yourself and the everyday population around you.  The one thing every media outlet loves is a jolly good victim.

Then again, it may be completely correct and thats how it went down with no extenuating circumstances which warrant disciplinary action.

However, like OC spray, the Tazer is a tool which can be employed upon the Police Officer themselves in training, so they know its capabilities and limitations.  It would be a completely stupid act if unwarranted.   Police officers are also aware of the consequences of excessive use of force (not saying it doesnt happen anyway)  All this leads me to be skeptical that this has occurred without some details being missed out.

As for Granny honking the horn.  If its legislation and she broke it, they have every right to follow it up.  I personally wouldnt unless Granny was being a right pain in the proverbials on top of committing an otherwise minor traffic offence, but they have a duty and they are within their rights to act upon it.

Next time you may be the unwarranted victim of a minor offence. Lets see how loud you scream, when the Police officers attending, turn around and say, No jobs to small.....except this one..goodbye.  Generally the general public cry a waste of Police resources until they themselves are involved.

At least you know where you stand with the crims, its everyday joe and jane, the neighbourhood citizens that tend to get up my nose at the first hint of victimisation.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2004, 03:46:37 AM »
Doesn't the use of force come with a "reasonable" attached?
Even then, doesn't it usually require that force to allso not be deadly, or occasioning grevious bodily harm unless the officer using that force genuinely fears for his or her own life, or the lives or safety of other nearby people?
I was taught it was OK to go up one level from that being applied to either yourself, or the third person victim you are assisting.
Surely no police officer with even the most mediocre training would whip out the old Tazer and give Granny a buzz unless the situation warranted such action in his/her belief.

Theres gotta be more to this story....there just has to be, surely power tripping morons get weeded out before the uniform is issued?
Granny had to be doing something we arent being told about.

Not saying I agree with assaulting old ladies with potentially lethal weapons is cool so long as you are a cop, just that unless the KC PD is completely incompetant in it's recruit/officer screening (which I very much doubt), the whole story smells like media hyping one side of a two sided story.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Bad Idea to Tazer Granny
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2004, 05:26:07 AM »
Wait to make your judgements peoples. These horn honking grandma stories usually turn out she was on PCP.  Let the police investigation and litigation continue. The results will likely be published by the department and be completely fair.

Remember, the court is supposed to hear both sides of the situation before making a judgement. I saw the Rodney King tape and thought it was a whole buncha cops wailing the **** out of a guy, but it turns out he was drinking alcohol and it's lucky a few cops laying their lives on the line everyday weren't killed. And that's why you always ignore the obvious and wait till it goes to court.