Author Topic: Channel 1 warning  (Read 2222 times)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
That would require monitoring 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and that is simply not possible.

Truth is, we should not have to monitor it at all.  Requiring us to monitor it 24x7 is not solving the base problem.

You can say I am not right all day long, but it does not add any solution to the issue.  If you advocate abusive behavior is acceptable, you are wrong, regardless of why you take that position.
I am not advocating the abusive behavior. I am advocating “Same Rules for All”.

It’s up to HTC to find the solution which will work for the majority. Right now, the “System” is broken and unfair.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 03:55:15 PM »
Squelching an abusive player is a bandaid for the real problem.  The abusive player is the problem.  And we have an answer for that.  Mute, eject, and ban if necessary.

No one should have to listen to it and it is unfair to use the "squelch them if you don't like it" answer.  See above.

By saying, "if you don't like it, squelch it", you are saying that it is ok for a player to be abusive.  Point of fact, it is not ok.

It is about choices.  If a player chooses to be abusive, then that player better be ready to handle the ramifications of that choice.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 04:06:30 PM »
ok skuzzy, let's see your take on this:

player 1 (use me for example if you want) says:

lol, you hordemonkey ackhugging basebunnies, takes 5 of you as usual.

or

learn to fly that plane, 3 v 1 and all of you went down. can we say suckage?

or

the TA is ------>   go make use of it.

and player 2 responds back with something like:

you homo, i bet your mother doesn't even love you. I don't live in AH like you do. Why are you such an ass?

then players 3,4,5 and 6+ go off in the same vein as player #2.

who's being "abusive"?

personally, i never go outside of the game context unless someone says something like the above, which happens quite often because they can't seem to think of some game-related comeback, or possess the willingness to learn their plane.
and even then i'll usually stick with game context related barbs.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 04:09:14 PM »
aww no one seen the south park film?

and cant i have your meds instead skuzzy? they are more fun.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 04:18:20 PM »
I have seen and own the film Furball.  I would have made a reference to Saddam, but I I felt it could be construed as being a bit over the top.  You couldn't handle my meds. :)

Shane, there is a huge difference between taunting and being abusive.  There is nothing wrong with a good taunt, as long as the person taunting knows there is a line that can be crossed.

The response you gave to the taunting was over the top.  BUT, if the person taunting keeps feeding them, then he/she is just as guilty.

If I come into a situation where multiple players are just having a good old fashion flamefest on the open channel, I will mute them all and privately tell them why.  I can get away with this.  The MA moderators cannot do this.
Depending on what was being said, I may unmute them with the clear understanding they need to calm it down.

It is understood there are times when people will get miffed.  We would like to hope that an angry player will have enough sense to back away and cool off, but in reality, it seldom happens.
This player will usually apologize for his/her behavior later on.  Not always, but it is something to watch for.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Shane, there is a huge difference between taunting and being abusive.  There is nothing wrong with a good taunt, as long as the person taunting knows there is a line that can be crossed.

OK, I was lumping taunting in with abusive. I see what you are saying about crossing a line and abusive being unacceptable and I agree.

The problem is, some of the more dainty and easily offended dont want you to hear even a single negative (IE a taunt not abuse) thing. To some folks the accurate description of another player as an  "Alt monkey cherrypicker" or "ack hugger" or "gangbanger"  is not actually a description, its abuse.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »
Wow, cant we all just get along.  I leave for a week and come back to this?

If you are playing the game, and having a good time, abusive behavior on the channels should never happen.  

If the first part of that sentence does not hold true, what the heck are you doing playing?  I have a wall you could beat your head against.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »
you want the meds?!?! you cannt hanndle the meds!

you no meds handler youu!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

VWE

Channel 1 warning
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 04:50:22 PM »
player 1 (use me for example if you want) says:

lol, you hordemonkey ackhugging basebunnies, takes 5 of you as usual.

or

learn to fly that plane, 3 v 1 and all of you went down. can we say suckage?

or

the TA is ------> go make use of it.

Gee shane, did you pull these dingers off of some of your text sceen shots?  

:rofl

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 04:51:15 PM »
Some people will take a taunt as being abusive.  That is true.  Then you know the line with that player and should just recognize it and move along.

If you persist, after you know the player is going to take it personal, then you crossed the line.

A good taunt will provoke someone to engage.  It is a lure, bait for the unsuspecting.  Used in that manner, it can be a lot of fun.  It becomes abusive when the player you are taunting reacts negatively and you keep going on with the taunt.

I look at it like this;  If a player responds negatively to a taunt, then that player is not going to be any fun anyways.  They probably will not grant a when it is over and are more likely to just go on a verbal tirade if they are shot down.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
I do believe that this is the most I've ever seen Skuzzy in the CT or its forum.  Sorry for the circumstances, but good to see you, Skuzzy!

Wish I'd been online to see Sakai v. the Vulchers.  Must have been a classic.  

- oldman (headed for vacation, see youse guys in a week or so)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2004, 05:01:47 PM »
Even if those self-same players may taunt others themselves?

Heck sometimes I'll be taunting player A, and then unrelated, not in area (depending on arena) players B, C and D start humping merrily away on my ankle. :eek:

It doesn't bother me, per se, i have thick skin, but... yanno? I won't maintain a verbal engagement past the initial one. If player A doesn't respond, or merely says, "too bad, suck it down" I'll generally leave it at that. But nooooo, some people just have to try and play word warrior and then act all offended when they lose that, too. :rolleyes:

ah well.  :D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2004, 05:09:03 PM »
X2Lee's actions were handled within the policies set by HTC.  His 'waaaaa' comment was right after I asked a few pilots to ease up on their remarks to one another.  I dealt with his actions but he left the arena before I could say why he was muted or unmute his account.

No one should receive any unwanted abuse from other CT players, especially toward the volunetter CT Staff.  As volunteers, we put a lot of free time into the arena and abuse from players is not appreciated.  

This isn't a hard concept: if you were at a soup kitchen, do you think poking fun at the people serving out the soup will get you hero cookie as a bonus?  Do you think a volunteer in any organization would put up harrassment from people using it's services?  This has everything to do with respect for your fellow player.  If you can't be respectful to one another, channel 1 will be turned off just as it is in the MA.

Personally, I like the ability to chat on channel 1 with everyone, especially as staff, but lately there have been a few Keyboard Generals ruining it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 05:11:29 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2004, 05:17:40 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Wish I'd been online to see Sakai v. the Vulchers.  Must have been a classic.

If it was the night in the 2nd week of the slot I am thinking of, it was classic.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Channel 1 warning
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2004, 05:27:10 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
To some folks the accurate description of another player as an  "Alt monkey cherrypicker" or "ack hugger" or "gangbanger"  is not actually a description, its abuse.

First off ... "accurate descriptions" are often not. I'd venture that half the time it's frustration. With Shane it's more akin to Tourettes.

Second ... it may be getting officially classified as abuse by Skuzzy and moderators but you know that I know that you know that I know that they're actually whines. And as such, I've made my mirth over such whines known from day one. But that may have to change as well because .. well ... that's just plain `ol abusive, yaknow. :D