Author Topic: whats your opinion of this  (Read 286 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
whats your opinion of this
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 12:04:51 PM »
I think it is good.  The cowards of the Mahdi "army" should leave the shrine and their women protectors.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
Are you serious?

You really expect anyone to be for children as shields?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 12:08:36 PM »
You are an adult and want to risk your life for something you believe in?  Fine.  But for crying out loud, don't risk your childrens lives.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 12:10:39 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Are you serious?

You really expect anyone to be for children as shields?

of course not. and you should be ashamed. you taught me what a straw man was and you just did it didnt you? i want opinions. i want to hear from people who judge action of combat troops how they would handle such a situation. i want to hear from people eager to post "civilians killed by coalition totals" if they were ever aware of this practice. what do you think should be done to iraqi adults who take kids into harms way? what do you think about it?

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 12:11:11 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
You are an adult and want to risk your life for something you believe in?  Fine.  But for crying out loud, don't risk your childrens lives.

Thrawn, you are letting your liberal side again.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:13:11 PM »
i wonder sometime if adult iraqi women understand lethality of modern munitions. those women might think that only way those kids could be hurt is if bomb is targeted on mosque. i dont think they understand that a single 40mm grenade hitting anywhere near the entrance of that room is going to kill or severly injure a couple of those kids.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 12:14:27 PM »
Originally posted by Drunky
Thrawn, you are letting your liberal side again.

why is that being liberal. i agree with thrawn. just dont "go norwegian" and call me a war criminal if one of those ladies gets hurt or killed when im clearing the structure of armed opposition.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 12:16:48 PM »
Originally posted by anonymous
of course not. and you should be ashamed. you taught me what a straw man was and you just did it didnt you? i want opinions. i want to hear from people who judge action of combat troops how they would handle such a situation. i want to hear from people eager to post "civilians killed by coalition totals" if they were ever aware of this practice. what do you think should be done to iraqi adults who take kids into harms way? what do you think about it?

I accept your explaination. However, I was pointing out in my own subtle way that I felt your post was the strawman... ie. Just another "ain't those people full of Shiite" circle jerk. I was wrong, but I was not setting up a strawman.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 12:22:29 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
I accept your explaination. However, I was pointing out in my own subtle way that I felt your post was the strawman... ie. Just another "ain't those people full of Shiite" circle jerk. I was wrong, but I was not setting up a strawman.

strawman as you explained is very not my style. what surprised me is this is first example i have seen of mainstream media showing kids being intentionally put into harms way. ive seen reports before of civilian being killed in wartime and no mention of situation so "antiwar" crowd free to assign blame as their political officers see fit. many times civilian are killed or hurt its because they lack ability to "get out of the way". but also you have this nonsense. enemy who understands media and western standards with regards to value of human life especially innocent human life and they play the whole situation like a fiddle. set up ambush position in apt building and keep occupants from fleeing.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 12:23:30 PM »
Originally posted by anonymous
why is that being liberal. i agree with thrawn. just dont "go norwegian" and call me a war criminal if one of those ladies gets hurt or killed when im clearing the structure of armed opposition.

You are showing your panties in a bunch. ;)

I was teasing Thrawn.  I've teased him before for being a liberal Democratic Cannuck.

You war criminal you  ;)
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »
Originally posted by Drunky
You are showing your panties in a bunch. ;)

I was teasing Thrawn.  I've teased him before for being a liberal Democratic Cannuck.

You war criminal you  ;)

im no good at catching the sarcasm and the joking when it comes to typed words. lack of experience on my part. big lack. :)

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »
'sokay :D
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 01:28:23 PM »
"Fallacy: Straw Man

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Straw Man

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

1. Person A has position X.
2. Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
3. Person B attacks position Y.
4. Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

Examples of Straw Man

Prof. Jones: "The university just cut our yearly budget by $10,000."
Prof. Smith: "What are we going to do?"
Prof. Brown: "I think we should eliminate one of the teaching assistant positions. That would take care of it."
Prof. Jones: "We could reduce our scheduled raises instead."
Prof. Brown: " I can't understand why you want to bleed us dry like that, Jones."

"Senator Jones says that we should not fund the attack submarine program. I disagree entirely. I can't understand why he wants to leave us defenseless like that."

Bill and Jill are arguing about cleaning out their closets:
Jill: "We should clean out the closets. They are getting a bit messy."
Bill: "Why, we just went through those closets last year. Do we have to clean them out everyday?"
Jill: "I never said anything about cleaning them out every day. You just want too keep all your junk forever, which is just ridiculous." "

Please, everyone who hasn't, I beg you to check out this site.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

It will be for the benefit of yourself, your arguements and general discourse on this BBS.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 01:39:45 PM »
women and children are far too small to be shields, what the hell were they thinking?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --