Author Topic: Marine Story in Najaf  (Read 490 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »
New York Times article, so take its authenticity for what its worth...

The battle has been surreal, focused largely in the cemetery, where families continue burying their dead even as I swoop in low overhead to make sure they aren't sneaking in behind our forces' flanks, or pulling a surface-to-air missile out of the coffin. Children continue playing soccer in the dirt fields next door, and locals wave to us as we fly over their rooftops in preparation for gun runs into the enemy's positions.

Sure, some of those people might be waving just to make sure we don't shoot them, but I think the majority are on our side. I've learned that this enemy is not just a mass of angry Iraqis who want us to leave their country, as some would have you believe. The forces we're fighting around Iraq are a conglomeration of renegade Shiites, former Baathists, Iranians, Syrians, terrorists with ties to Ansar al-Islam and Al Qaeda, petty criminals, destitute citizens looking for excitement or money, and yes, even a few frustrated Iraqis who worry about Wal-Mart culture infringing on their neighborhood.  

Quote:
When critics of the war say their advocacy is on behalf of those of us risking our lives here, it's a type of false patriotism. I believe that when Americans say they "support our troops," it should include supporting our mission, not just sending us care packages. They don't have to believe in the cause as I do; but they should not denigrate it. That only aids the enemy in defeating us strategically.  

I think the last sentence is speaking to alot of you on this UBB.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/23/opinion/23butler.html?pagewanted=2

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:40:03 PM »
wait i thought all the insurgents were ungrateful iraqi schoolteachers and laborers who hate the us because were wantonly killing civvies and raping the women and they liked hussein all along. if this isnt the case im suing university of oslo for my money back that online degree in international relations isnt worth a damn thing! :)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:42:23 PM »
It still does not matter to most arabs that Marines are fighting and taking casualties in order to prevent damage to holey sites and deaths of non combatents.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:37:28 AM »
RPM..GS...NASH...MIDNIGHT TARGET...PONGO...SUBAROS....B EETLE

All the others ,where are you,I found only three post and I am going to bring it to the front page for youall.

Ok is this marine a lier? This is what the letters we have recieved said ,Are they all lierS?

I am not putting anyone down just wonder where all the responses are. Come on guys this isnt 35 years ago, it is now, any comments? Just one.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 03:20:58 AM »
Just because someone supports the troops does not mean they have to support a campaign or war or whatever. A soldier just does the bidding of his leaders.

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 03:32:13 AM »
Would you like to elaborate on that?

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:33:27 AM »
Not really.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 03:35:34 AM »
The guy's prolly BS'sing about his service....

I bet he runs like a girl the minute actual danger rears its ugly head.

You just can't trust these military types anymore. For every one of these guys, I bet ya can find 10 more that sez he is full of chit.

I mean really... you never know these days. So fahgedabout it...

As far as I'm concerned, these guys should just shut up and fight. They're not paid to do otherwise, and nobody ever said that these folks are inherently intelligent people in the first place. So their high-school informed intellect should mean what to me?

Especially because it's just gotta be bulchit. Like I said.... You just cannot trust these military types anymore.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 03:56:56 AM »
yeah.. let's better hide in our homes and think that's not our business :rolleyes:

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 03:58:34 AM »
Originally posted by senna
Would you like to elaborate on that?

Well since you asked I'll give you an example.  Take Bush for example. He did not go to Vietnam or serve there. Instead he served in the National Guard flying F-102s. I take it then that he probably did not personaly support that war or he would have went. I guess also that if you were to ask him today, if he supported the veterans that served there he would say yes. As it stands, he supports the troops today so I assume he supports the troops then.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 04:22:17 AM »
I dont question the military and its abilities. You put the modern US forces anywhere and it will do a dam fine job. The question here is Iraq and with hindsite and the current topic of whats on the agenda for the US. I was originaly for the Iraq deal however with the lack of post invasion reasoning, I am unsure of the whole thing. Afganistan was the right thing to do. With hindsite, I personaly think Iraq has been costly. Just my opinion.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 10:03:47 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
The guy's prolly BS'sing about his service....

I bet he runs like a girl the minute actual danger rears its ugly head.

You just can't trust these military types anymore. For every one of these guys, I bet ya can find 10 more that sez he is full of chit.

I mean really... you never know these days. So fahgedabout it...

As far as I'm concerned, these guys should just shut up and fight. They're not paid to do otherwise, and nobody ever said that these folks are inherently intelligent people in the first place. So their high-school informed intellect should mean what to me?

Especially because it's just gotta be bulchit. Like I said.... You just cannot trust these military types anymore.

Not even a nibble?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
The fish must be sleeping.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 10:48:25 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
The fish must be sleeping.

Nah, fish don't bite tainted bait. ;)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Marine Story in Najaf
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »
nice article...

the dems will say it's all lies though...
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.