Author Topic: Think ditching mode is to easy now  (Read 970 times)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Think ditching mode is to easy now
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 10:04:39 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
ROD...PUT A CORK IN IT!!!

I ditched missing a wing, ground looped and survived :D

Actually, it would be kind of nice if every ditch attempt that fails didn't result in a death. Some were survivable.

lol you quote someone else and tell me to put a cork in it lol

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »
Too easy ditching have previously been an issue in the old AH1: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5081
That would be around v1.02 or something like that.

As I remember it, it was a bit more forgiving than the current one, and no ground clutter made the difference higher.
Then came they update it, which made any rough landing being an instant death.
I kinda like the current modelling.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 10:09:02 AM »
This is funny guys saying ditching model seems  believeable  and more to real life....................... How many times have you ditch your real life planes lol

I've seen falling cockpits from 4 k ditch lol   i'm sure falling cockpits from 4000 ft pilot ditch 90% time........

I had a20 blown to bits by flak only cockpit left an landed ok.... so Pretty sure its 2 easy now
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 10:23:50 AM by rod367th »

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Re: Think ditching mode is to easy now
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 10:20:14 AM »
Originally posted by rod367th
Shot p51's wing off and he ditches plane for 2k ............just a little to easy ditching mode?

yes

was doing 350 in a 190 @ 200feet. 1 wing got taken off by a osty and i ditched it! :rofl
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 10:50:35 AM »
Yah, i got a Typhoon down to no wings/tail and he missled into the water but didnt die. He sat there for a second and ended mission. Since he was near his territory, he didnt get captured and I didnt get a kill.

The ditching model might be a bit too easy, although I agree it makes for more exciting gameplay. I just wish if someone got major damage on you, and you had to ditch, they would get a kill for it.  In combat, a kill is counted when you destroy a plane. The pilot has nothing to do with it. If i shoot someone down and they are missing both wings, I really dont think that plane will ever see flight again. That should be a kill.

That being said, I think if something like this were ever implemented, HTC would also have to consider relaxing landing requirements at bases. Landing 10 feet off the concrete at an airbase shouldnt count as a ditch IMO.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 12:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

I have no idea if that was more realistic, but seeing many real life accidents/ditch attempts end up in valiant efforts of the pilot with tragic results, I think it was more understandable that way.

I don't know about that Kweassa. There is a huge structural difference between the average civilian aircraft and a military warbird.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 05:48:28 PM »
I've got some experience when it comes to what some birds would look like after a crash.  

We had a brand new F-15E Strike Eagle crash when I was stationed at a particular base.  While on approach one the mains blew out right after touch down.  They were going at about 160kts or so.  The bird had 3 external wing tanks on board along with a travel pod, and 2 LANTIRN pods. The bird skidded a long way down the strip and then veered off into the grassy area to the left of the runway.  The left wing tip dug in and start to spin the aircraft around.  Around the same time the nose dug in bring the rear of the jet in the air, 180 degree turn and slamming it to the ground.  In the end the forward fuselage was ripped away from the center and aft fuselage.  The canopy was completely gone and the radome was tore off.  The variable inlets had punctured through the skin and into the WSOs cockpit area.  

The only injuries suffered were some bumps and bruises to the pilot and a cut open bicep and a few broken ribs on the WSO.  I was amazed at the durability of our aircraft after such a crash.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 06:06:20 PM »
Consider the famous footage of a Hellcat returning to land on a carrier after a big battle (Midway?): The damaged hellcat comes it, veers to the side, SLAMS into the tower at high speed, WHIPS around, rips the ENTIRE TAIL off, behind the cockpit, noses down and slides off for at least 12 more feet. Pilot is alive, conscious, and moving, and is helped out of the cockpit by deck crew.

I think:

1) You all are under estimating how much a plane could take vs how much the pilot could take. Just because the PLANE loses a wing doesn't mean the PILOT gets hurt.

2) The ditch is fine, but the damage is wrong. I've ditched many times with a PERFECT ditch that then lost me an entire wing, a tail, and half another wing. I think you are seeing all this damage and going "No way! The ditch model is wrong!!" when in fact you should be saying "Huh, cool ditch, but that damage model is WAY wrong!".

My $0.02

No wait, I'm broke, I'm charging YOU $0.02 just for reading that!

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 06:55:03 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Consider the famous footage of a Hellcat returning to land on a carrier after a big battle (Midway?): The damaged hellcat comes it, veers to the side, SLAMS into the tower at high speed, WHIPS around, rips the ENTIRE TAIL off, behind the cockpit, noses down and slides off for at least 12 more feet. Pilot is alive, conscious, and moving, and is helped out of the cockpit by deck crew.

I think:

1) You all are under estimating how much a plane could take vs how much the pilot could take. Just because the PLANE loses a wing doesn't mean the PILOT gets hurt.

2) The ditch is fine, but the damage is wrong. I've ditched many times with a PERFECT ditch that then lost me an entire wing, a tail, and half another wing. I think you are seeing all this damage and going "No way! The ditch model is wrong!!" when in fact you should be saying "Huh, cool ditch, but that damage model is WAY wrong!".

My $0.02

No wait, I'm broke, I'm charging YOU $0.02 just for reading that!

yeah... a plane coming in to land at 120mph max onto a deck doing 30mph...so thats like 90mph max. Just a regular car crash that is.......

we are talking about 300mph HARD CRASHES. How many videos of WWII planes have you seen crashing into the sea or ground @ speed, not landing? most the time the engine block gets burried 10foot into the soft ground while the rest of the plane INCLUDING the pilot disintegrates.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:58 PM »

I don't know about that Kweassa. There is a huge structural difference between the average civilian aircraft and a military warbird.

You all are under estimating how much a plane could take vs how much the pilot could take. Just because the PLANE loses a wing doesn't mean the PILOT gets hurt.

I understand the general premises, and I think it makes sense. I'd understand that if it was something between 100~200mph, the pilot trying to nurse his plane into a belly landing - which, was indeed, a real-life procedure taught to pilots in case the landing gears were working unevenly...

But a safe ditch at 300mph?

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 10:00:11 PM »
I know I've had a few times where I've ended up getting a safe ditch but it was never above 200mph.  Everytime I got my safe ditches I always came in some what flat and never with any kind of high RoD.  I almost always came out with nothing left but the forward fuselage either.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2004, 12:55:26 AM »
Originally posted by rod367th
This is funny guys saying ditching model seems  believeable  and more to real life....................... How many times have you ditch your real life planes lol

I've seen falling cockpits from 4 k ditch lol   i'm sure falling cockpits from 4000 ft pilot ditch 90% time........

I had a20 blown to bits by flak only cockpit left an landed ok.... so Pretty sure its 2 easy now

That's a flight model problem. Some planes can be flown relatively gently to the ground with full rudder when they are missing an entire wing.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2004, 09:57:04 AM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
I was trying to land my FM2 on a carrier and hit the deck pretty hard.
Some how my plane went throught the deck and I ended up parked in the hanger  backwards cruising along with the ship.. :lol  can't remember if it was a ditch or a landing.

was a landing, been there done that 4 times now ;)
once was on takeoff hit contower ,CV was turning, fell through to hanger.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2004, 10:11:47 AM »
go skip some rocks across a pond. ya might learn something.

:)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2004, 11:37:59 AM »
Originally posted by DieAz
go skip some rocks across a pond. ya might learn something.

:)

Please don't tell me you think plane and rocks act same lol.. oh wait rocks have explosives and fuel on board. Oh and try skipping stone wrong that is how plane with no wings would skip lol......