Author Topic: Think ditching mode is to easy now  (Read 971 times)

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Think ditching mode is to easy now
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
Shot p51's wing off and he ditches plane for 2k ............just a little to easy ditching mode?

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »
I got shot down in the BoB scenario; I was flying a SpitI at 150', I was in a hard bankin turn when the 4 Germans on me finally shot me down.

I ended up ditching inverted in the water, with only 1 wing, no tail and a dead engine.

I just 'bailed' from it with not even a pilot wound.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Re: Think ditching mode is to easy now
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
Shot p51's wing off and he ditches plane for 2k ............just a little to easy ditching mode?

next time don't shot like the wimp you are, make em explode instead:aok

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 06:08:47 PM »
Yes ditces are too generous especially when kills are awarded only for planes killed outright or ditched in friendly territory. Now you loose kills a lot more over enemy territory cuz the ditch model is so easy, even planes with a full wing shot off and for all intents and purposes written off.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Yes ditces are too generous especially when kills are awarded only for planes killed outright or ditched in friendly territory. Now you loose kills a lot more over enemy territory cuz the ditch model is so easy, even planes with a full wing shot off and for all intents and purposes written off.

Maybe just change it so you get credit for the kill for anything other then a landing at an airfeild.
Isnt that how they counted em anyway?

Maybe its a bit too easy but it can be a hell of alot of fun. And funny.

the other day I was shot up and headed down and was tryign to hold it as steady as possible to get the ditch which I just barely managed to do.
Was going pretty fast when I touched down and was like "Whew.. made it" and I was sliding along on the ground for what seemed like forever  When all of a sudden I looked up and saw a building getting larger.
Only had enough time to utter the expression that Im sure must have been uttered countless times before.

"ut oh"  BOOOM!
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 07:05:40 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

ROD...PUT A CORK IN IT!!!

I ditched missing a wing, ground looped and survived :D

Actually, it would be kind of nice if every ditch attempt that fails didn't result in a death. Some were survivable.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »
yup.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 08:41:29 PM »
saw an odd ditch today,  a Rook Fw190  ditched in the water west of A17 this morning missing all kinds of  parts, funny thing was he was upside down, one would assume if ya plane started flipping on the water you would be a gonner for sure, unlike in land , in the water upside down you would drown. but anyhow he escapes with a successful ditch, even with 5 enemys flying all around him and him shot to ......well you know what I mean :)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:01:15 PM »
I don't remember the story exactly, but some friends of mine talked to a B-26 crew member whose aircraft was torn apart at 50 or 100'...  I think the wings were ripped or shot off at flying speeds.  It hit the ground and slid a long way.  Most or all of the crew survived.  

eskimo

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:34:31 PM »
Just ditched my P-51D on the back of a CV... Funny thing was, the CV started to turn and I came in too low. At the last second, I applied full power to try and clear the fan-tail, but I ended up colliding with it with my engine cowling just below the flight-deck.

Smashed off both wings and the horizontal stab... ended up alive on the deck.. sucessfull landing.... Heh

It used to be if you so much as touched the CV you would explode instantly.

All in all, I think the new ditch model is more fun than it used to be, but perhaps a touch on the easy side. However I would rather it is left the way it is now over going back to insta-death for everything.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:36:43 PM »
I clipped a hangar in a P-40E doing about 200mph knocked my wing off and sent me sliding on my canopy across the grass...All i lost was left wing right wing tip and rudder

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 10:40:37 PM »
I havent yet tried out the new model, but from all of your posts it seems that the ditching model is more realistic.  In real life, a plane doesnt instantly explode if it falls, going forward, from 100 feet or so.  It will most likely hit and slide, breaking up as it goes along.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 11:49:40 PM »
I was trying to land my FM2 on a carrier and hit the deck pretty hard.
Some how my plane went throught the deck and I ended up parked in the hanger  backwards cruising along with the ship.. :lol  can't remember if it was a ditch or a landing.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 12:52:02 AM »
I think the ditch model might be a temporary make-shift until HTC got their priorities sorted out.

Some versions ago, typically in the betas, ditches were a lot harder. You had to nurse your plane under 150mph in most cases, find a really flat spot on the terrain and gently settle it down.

I have no idea if that was more realistic, but seeing many real life accidents/ditch attempts end up in valiant efforts of the pilot with tragic results, I think it was more understandable that way.

In my general feeling, the physical model of how planes react to various forces while ditching, felt a lot more realistic in previous versions of AH2.

Except, some planes were impossible to ditch due to weird bugs - like, even after a plane comes to a complete stop it would start bouncing all over, and the bouncing would amplify and then the plane would blow up. In other cases, contact with the ground almost immediately blew up the plane.

So, my guess is HTC just generally toughened up the "ditch integrity" of planes as a whole, as a simple, temporary fix.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 08:12:52 AM »
Originally posted by United
I havent yet tried out the new model, but from all of your posts it seems that the ditching model is more realistic.  In real life, a plane doesnt instantly explode if it falls, going forward, from 100 feet or so.  It will most likely hit and slide, breaking up as it goes along.

AH2 doesn't model any rocks or other small obstacles, which IRL would break up your plane as it slides along. Currently the terrain is modelled like a soccer field with a few trees and bumps.

The ditching itself feels pretty realistic but most of the ground should be more rough. Water should also be modelled correctly.

The maximum descent rate of a survivable ditch is definately more realistic now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:19:48 AM by mora »