Author Topic: Would like some ?'s answered  (Read 1352 times)

Offline thummper

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.113thluckystrikes.com
Would like some ?'s answered
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:39:42 PM »
Now that I have 3 of the basics down (taking off, landing, pulling the trigger) I am starting to look at improving the finers points to make it more fun for me and the opposition.
My primary bomber is a Lanc. The reason is, I have discovered it takes me all 14 bombs and 3 passes to take out all FH at large bases, 3 passes for a medium FH with the VH and 3 passes for small FH BH VH and ords in a Lanc.
Questions
1) If I feel I nail each individual target about 90% to 98% of the time why does my score state the following vs objects?
  Bomber Hit percentage
 156.814 %
2)I do okay time to time on smoking fighters to run them off. I have taken the time to learn left is left of the dot right is right of the dot etc., but still learning to shoot. What the heck are the other two bombers shooting at. Once a fighter is in close I see no help from these guys. How do I, if possible change this? I tried the convergance but this is for the individual guns.
3)Why on S and N approches I can see gv's and ack on the field and nail them from 15K but on E and W I can't spot them in time to set up.
4)What is the best place to hit a fighter? Wings, tail, nose etc.
As for fighters, I try different ones all the time.
Questions
1) Someone is diving down I have used slipping turning climbing diving and still get nailed what am I missing? When I dive in someone turns and I can't follow without blacking out.
2)Some of the better pilots have offered to help me but I have not had the time to get them in the TA. What is the possibility of riding around with a few of you fellas to see what you do?
3)How do I set one gunnery sight for all my planes. I think it would help if it isn't different for every ride.
4)I just started AH regularly in Feb as my first sim ever, so I had to learn to crawl first. Now I want to start tweeking things. How do I set my rudders from bouncing me around when I let off of them?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Would like some ?'s answered
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »
1) If I feel I nail each individual target about 90% to 98% of the time why does my score state the following vs objects?
  Bomber Hit percentage
 156.814 %

For the most part, you are destroying more objects than bombs dropped. If you dropped 14 bombs and destroyed 14 objects it would be 100 %

2)I do okay time to time on smoking fighters to run them off. I have taken the time to learn left is left of the dot right is right of the dot etc., but still learning to shoot. What the heck are the other two bombers shooting at. Once a fighter is in close I see no help from these guys. How do I, if possible change this? I tried the convergance but this is for the individual guns.

All 3 bombers fire at the same time and the same target you are shooting at. All guns on bombers are set to 500 convergence from what I have read.

3)Why on S and N approches I can see gv's and ack on the field and nail them from 15K but on E and W I can't spot them in time to set up.

Have no clue. I have never seen this.

Best place is the cockpit (kill pilot) after that, its anywhere I can land the rounds ... wingtips are good tho.

Questions

1) Someone is diving down I have used slipping turning climbing diving and still get nailed what am I missing? When I dive in someone turns and I can't follow without blacking out.

You probably have "stall limiter" turned on, which is not allowing you to turn the plane as sharply as you might want.

2)Some of the better pilots have offered to help me but I have not had the time to get them in the TA. What is the possibility of riding around with a few of you fellas to see what you do?

Most won't care and if you want to "join" someone, ask first on private channel. If I am on and you want to join ... send me a message and I will let you onboard ... I fly Knights

3)How do I set one gunnery sight for all my planes. I think it would help if it isn't different for every ride.

Typically, the game is set to use the "default.bmp" for all planes. To change this setting, you have to get into SETUP (from the clipboard) and make the changes manually.

4)I just started AH regularly in Feb as my first sim ever, so I had to learn to crawl first. Now I want to start tweeking things. How do I set my rudders from bouncing me around when I let off of them?

You will want to set the "deadband" higher ... do it in increments until you like what you have. Also, you might want to "calibrate" in game to see if that is the problem too.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 04:49:30 PM »
Just top up the stuff that Slapshot gave you:

Exactly, the guns on all bombers converge at D500 so that is the point of most effect.  By the time something moves to D300, or D700, the gun convergence is such that the angle they are shooting at makes only 1 set hit you.  If you can, get a second gunner to join you, then you really get the impact of two sets of independent guns.

I've never noticed this either.  Has your graphical settings distance changed?  It shoudl be the same regardless of heading.

Cockpit, tail, wingtips... but if in a bomber gun just try and hit them square in the engine/cockpit.  you may be able to knock out their engine or give them an oil leak (which makes it tough to see from the cockpit).  Don't try and get too tricky, just hit them as hard as you can and the fuselage gives you the best target.

It's not just in the maneuver, it's also in the timing.  You need to learn exactly the point at which a defensive maneuver is going to be most effective.  Too early and they can follow, too late and you will eat lead.  I think that's the problem, you might not be timing the defense quite correctly.

Try emailing the trainers corps (trainers@hitechcreations.com) and arrange a time that you can meet.  We try and  keep a pretty flexible schedule and give ride alongs or demonstrations, or just answer questions.  If you catch me only in the MA you can ask me too, I don't mind generally.

Deadband and dampening might help.  You need to try each axis to get the feel just right.  Each player is a bit different in what they like so you'll just have to try different settings until you get something that feels "right" to you.
--------------------------------------

I think Slapshot covered the rest pretty well.....

Offline thummper

• Zinc Member
thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 09:41:39 AM »
Got the graphic thing worked out it. I guess I had change the graphic detail on the range. I was more patient in lining up my shots last night, waiting for planes to close in, aiming for the cockpit and had better hits on planes with the lancs guns. Except when Mak1 vulched me on take off in his Zeke lol Mak1. Turned off the stall limiter and Wow! New way to fly, now I have to learn to not over do it. Looking for a good targeting sight to stick with but figured out how to put the same one in all planes. Thanks for all the answers it made it a new game last night.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 10:20:14 AM »
There have been quite a few variants of gunsights posted in this forum in the past.  You might want to do a serach and it'll probably turn up quite a few that you can try.  Some like the super simple "dot" approach, others historical sights (with aiming aids if you know how to use them), while others use sights that, at least to me, seem WAY too cluttered.  It guess it's whatever works for you.  In general though, the closer you can get the easier your shot and hence the lesser requirement for a complicated gunsight.  I don't know if you can change a tail-gunners sight... I don't think you can.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 11:38:19 AM »
if you're not seeing the drones fire make sure you are using the correct trigger button, as a bomber gunner there are two commands to fire your weapon, (at work and I don't recall what the key is exactly off hand)  one key will only fire your station.  The other will fire any gun that can be brought to bear on the target.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline thummper

• Zinc Member
Thanks Soulyss
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 07:32:31 AM »
:lol  Okay I feel like an idiot. Playing for months and guess what. It is a heck of alot easier to smoke fighters with all guns firing. Guess I set it up wrong on my stick mapping. Spit rolled in last night and boom it was losing fuel on the second pass snap its wing came right off. Thanks.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 10:05:35 AM »
np. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline DOWJackL

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 11:55:55 AM »
A couple follow ups:

I'm not 100% clear on this, but I believe the bomber hit percentage has to do with how many structures you hit with each bomb.  I have seen people with percentages over 1000%.  I started carrying larger bombs and spreading them out more and my percentage usually gets up to 400+.  This works the same for bombers, attack and boats (using rockets on the PT).

On the question of gunnery sights, I went into the Aces High\sights folder, renamed the file 'default.bmp' to 'default.bmp.bu', then copied a sight I prefer and called it 'default.bmp'.  I used a P-51 sight and that is now the one I see in every plane.

Offline ace31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 12:03:37 PM »
hell i cant stand the 51 sight so i replaced it with a spitfire 9s sight which is much better to me

Offline One0One

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 01:17:45 PM »
Give me a yell if you see me online.IŽll be more than happy to go to the TA or Da to help you with the fighter part.:)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 02:18:58 PM »
Originally posted by DOWJackL
A couple follow ups:

I'm not 100% clear on this, but I believe the bomber hit percentage has to do with how many structures you hit with each bomb.  I have seen people with percentages over 1000%.  I started carrying larger bombs and spreading them out more and my percentage usually gets up to 400+.  This works the same for bombers, attack and boats (using rockets on the PT).

I wouldn't worry that much about hit% in bombers unless you are really concerned about  score.  400% is pretty good and indicates you are damaging/destroying multiple targets with each bomb.  The 1000% numbers you see are typically from people flying Lancasters and using the 4,000lb bomb option on a group of closely spaced targets.  Remember when you are packing 1,000lb bombs, which is typical in many bombers, that it only takes 250lb's to destroy most small targets, hence the reason you can knock out many with each bomb.  It makes proper spacing really important as having the bombs fall too close together may not hit as many items.  I typically set my salvo to 1 and drop them at regular intervals though you can also set you delay to automatically space them for you.

Offline thummper

• Zinc Member
Soda and One0One
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks One0one I'll take ya up on that. Soda, When I first started I worked to get my score under 1000, then 800 and so on. Then I realized that made me not enjoy AH as much and doesn't really matter. Mine might be better than so and so's but they still shoot my tail off everytime we meet. So score is not a concern. I just like blowing things up. Self satisfaction of taking out all the FH's at a base, hitting CV's with my second shot from the big guns,and watching planes fall apart before mine does. I am more into the fun of learning the strat and ACM's of fighting, and frustrating the opposing forces. Just started looking at the page that shows what killed you, what you were killed in and all that. Went back and looked at the Score page to see my accuracy % to see if I was improving on my bombing and didn't understand. Thanks for the answers though. Makes sense now.

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 12:17:37 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
...I don't know if you can change a tail-gunners sight... I don't think you can.

Yes you can.  I've changed all the gunner positions in the bombers to a simple dot sight.  Just go to preferences, gunsights, choose the plane you want, and all the gunner positions are listed there - I think they are numbered with the pilot's position being no. 1, etc.