Author Topic: A picture you don't see everyday  (Read 520 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
A picture you don't see everyday
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 07:15:19 PM »
You used to be able to park at the end of the runway at Dallas Naval Air Station before it closed. Watched a lot of Phantoms fly in and out of there when I was a kid.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 07:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by sullie363
When I look back, it probably wasn't the best idea to be where I was.  Any problem the pilot had could of become my problem rather fast.  But hey, it got a unique shot.  There were also F-16s, F-18s, and F-4s.  I thought I would get a great shot of the KC-135 as it came back but it landed on the other end of the runway.

When I worked ATC mait. at yuma we used to sit on top of our precision approach radar and watch the F-5s land.  These were the agressor squadron.

The PAR was located right at the overrun/underun of one of the runways.  The pilots used to fly so close you could see their class rings.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 07:20:36 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
You used to be able to park at the end of the runway at Dallas Naval Air Station before it closed. Watched a lot of Phantoms fly in and out of there when I was a kid.

You can watch the F/A-18's/F-14's from Oceana Blvd. There is a curve that goes right around the end of the runway. The planes are that close all the time. There is even a parking area on the curve where you can park and watch and take pictures of them coming and going. Also from my apartment 1 mile(as the crow flies) from the base They come just about that low (as they have been doing now for the past 2 hours) on approach DIRECTLY over my building(my 2 and 3 year olds love it "Air-pane daddy Air-pane!!!"{2 year old}). I'll try to get some pics 2-morrow when it's light again to post seeing how Navy planes are far more impressive than Air Fart planes:D

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 08:04:29 PM »
Did the aircraft in the pic have a landing gear problem?

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 08:18:24 PM »
No, he made it.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 08:25:28 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
You can watch the F/A-18's/F-14's from Oceana Blvd. There is a curve that goes right around the end of the runway. The planes are that close all the time. There is even a parking area on the curve where you can park and watch and take pictures of them coming and going. Also from my apartment 1 mile(as the crow flies) from the base They come just about that low (as they have been doing now for the past 2 hours) on approach DIRECTLY over my building(my 2 and 3 year olds love it "Air-pane daddy Air-pane!!!"{2 year old}). I'll try to get some pics 2-morrow when it's light again to post seeing how Navy planes are far more impressive than Air Fart planes:D

I got one of those.

Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB