Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 151373 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #195 on: June 05, 2005, 06:28:49 PM »
AW handle:  Brook
GEnie AW player id:  5965

Excellent!  Even though this topic isn't all that new, I just found it.

My first flight in Air Warrior was in 1988, with most of my heavy-duty AW flying occurring from about 1992 until 1999.

I'm looking forward to reading through this topic.

For AW folks who are interested, I'm putting together pictorials and after-action reports from old AW scenarios.  I'm only part way in, but the results so far are here:

http://www.electraforge.com/scenarios

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
OD!!
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2005, 11:25:31 PM »
Hehe OD ltns.. Lots of us here from AW. Gumby and Kimmy are trying to make a come back, Steve is here, some 479th, OL'ONZ,
-=MW=-, 367th, some rogue 4 wing, 52nd, Nightmares, SOGs, MAWs, NoseDiggers err GraveDiggers, 327th, JB# guys, and lots more. Definitely worth you tryin bud, but all I can say is this game is a lot different than AW when you first start, but once you get the hang of it, its the same. Flight models, learning curve, and community is a lot different here, icandy is too. This is the game AW4 should have been, but never was. Look forward to seein ya up bud.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2005, 05:08:03 AM »
OK, now I've gone through and read all the messages in this topic.

As I wrote earlier, I started in 1988 -- very briefly.  Horn posted part of campaign 2, but he didn't go far enough down the list to find me (ranked 527th with 8 whole points!). :)  I remember that first time on a Mac SE, taking off in a P-51 with 100% fuel, knowing nothing about flaps or air combat and getting shot down again and again and again.  I think it was Biggles who kept shooting me down.  It didn't matter, though -- I loved it.  I loved it so much that I quit after that first time because I was in grad school and knew I'd easily get hooked on the game and blow all my money (it was $6/hour or higher back then).

It was several years later when I was able to get back into it.  I got a position as an assistant on GEnie in the writer's roundtable.  I administered a writers' workshop, and they gave me some free time.  I used it all on Air Warrior, and I got totally hooked.

I remember my transition from dweeb to good pilot.  It was through lots and lots of fights with WildThing, who I also saw here in Aces High about a month back.  I remember in the early days fighting Ghost Rider, Bushwacker, B-Man, DeathWish, and Airmigan a lot, and 715 once in a while.  Airmigan was a wizard in the P-38, and I remember fighting him a lot one on one, P-38 to P-38 while he taught me his technique of using rudder and flaps in the P-38 at the top of steep high yo-yo reversals in angles fights back in the pre-SVGA Air Warrior days.

I remember lots of participation in the GEnie discussion areas with (in no particular order) Blue Baron (whom I remember from when he first joined), Eyeballs, Cookie, Quarters, DeadDuck, Rapier, Pangloss, Airmigan, DoK, Vossman, Moggy, Gypsy Baron, Gray Eagle, Rocketman, Black Hawk, Bug, Chick, and Volstag (who was hilarious and who sent me an e-mail a couple months ago), among many others.  I remember annoying personalities like Slyman (although his annoying nature sort of wrapped around to endearing in some ways).

At one point, starting in 1991, we had a squad called the "Werepigeons," which consisted of me, DoK, Airmigan, J-Wolff, V, and Commander Merkin (and I think Anvil, but I'm not sure about that).  It didn't last long, as most of the members moved on to focusing away from the main area (such as in scenarios or just drifting away from the game), but it was devoted to energy and B&Z fighting, sort of as a statement against Air Warrior becoming "Spit Warrior".

I remember when DoK invented scenarios and what it was like to play in my first one (Indian Ocean in 1992).  I remember becoming a trainer in the start of the Air Warrior Training Academy (which Airmigan managed for a time) in 1993.  I remember the start of the Scenario Masters' Guild in 1997, a group devoted to putting out more scenarios for Air Warrior.  Others in the founding of it included Rocketman, Black Hawk, Cookie, and Quarters, among others.  I remember meeting GMan, Acid Mentality, Rapier, Fencer, Velcro Fly, Gray Eagle, and Blue Baron at an Air Warrior convention in Los Angeles in the 1990's, going with some of them to the Planes of Fame air museum in Chino (which is excellent), and remember meeting Moggy (Moggy, that was you, right?) at an Air Warrior booth set up at the Reno air races in 2000 or 2001.  He gave me an Air Warrior hat that still sits atop my computer monitor today.

Ah, the memories.  To see old Air Warriors coming out of the woodwork and congregating here in Aces High is excellent.  I'm working on getting DeadDuck and Blue Baron over here.  Blue Baron probably won't, but I have hopes for DeadDuck.  Looks like Moggy might be on the verge of getting back into virtual skies if he can get his setup worked out.  That would be great.  And Airmigan . . . holy crap!  I haven't talked to him in over a decade.

Airmigan, do you remember me at all?  Are you going to get back into some on-line flying, especially scenarios?  You should! :)

Offline Wulfmen

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.Blackadders.de
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2005, 05:53:08 AM »
AW-FR
Squad: BlackAdders
Cpid: ede
B-Land (i think)

Winner of one "King of the Hill" contest against Kappa :D
was a great time in AW.

Offline wldmn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »
Got started in late 90's, $ACE$ kept after me at work until I gave in and got hooked.  Flew FR with DDZ Az until AW went under.  Remember lots of low level stuff with FiltH and getting my Arse whoopped a lot by him.  

Went by wldmn in AW same now with AH.

ol' aw dudes

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2005, 11:38:28 PM »
Crap!  Haven't seen a thing here from Airmigan since I asked if he remembered me.  Air, don't worry if you don't remember me -- it was more than a decade ago!  Come back, Air! :)

Also, Moggy, how's that setup going?  Did the setup guide help at all?  If not, give me a call 425-827-2486, and I'll see if I can help.  I've got all CH Products gear.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2005, 11:55:08 PM »
GEnie. Toad. 5279 or maybe 5729..... don't remember. I do remember big bills and playing a lot on Sat morning.

Good game. Addictive as hell........ good times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2005, 02:53:40 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
GEnie. Toad. 5279 or maybe 5729..... don't remember. I do remember big bills and playing a lot on Sat morning.

Good game. Addictive as hell........ good times.

You were 5279. :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
Thought so... thx!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
BTW
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2005, 04:09:15 PM »
Gotta get some things straight...

1: lol Rice1 = Ruaml's newphew. Seriously.

2: KillnU, Special Eds were never Bz, they went Cz. VMPR could never make it on Bz cuz no one liked him over there. Especially me :)

3: Cz didn't rule crap , Az were the "horde" with little skill, and Bz had the better quality of pilots.

Now as to me flying..
Started in '97 on AOL shortly before we went to GS. Flew all the way til AW died, and been in AH on and off since. In AW I joined a lot of squads, and built a lot too. So I hate the pleasure to meet and fly with a lot of good people. Guys like Marar, WATEV, JMV, Shagr, NEV, and of course Caps and OLKEG. (Me and Caps been wingmen and good friends since AW2. Still to this day talk to him on a regular basis.) For those of you who fought me on a regular basis always knew I was up for a good fight in my A8, and would turn with any of yas. :)

to all my old friends and foes of AW, was truely a fun time. Just a dam shame it had to come to an end.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: BTW
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »
Originally posted by PK1Mw

2: KillnU, Special Eds were never Bz, they went Cz. VMPR could never make it on Bz cuz no one liked him over there. Especially me :)

38 Specials had a policy of being on the country that needed pilots the most.  Bz was never seriously in the bucket during that time.  Skillets were Bz, and many of them got along with vmpr just fine.

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
Uhh...
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2005, 05:16:24 PM »
No they just tolerated him :)

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2005, 05:53:19 PM »
Just a FYI since he was brought up here....Nev is flying in WWIIOL these days.

Offline Airmigan

• Zinc Member
Hell yes I remember!
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2005, 06:03:25 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting.  I've had a bad week here.  Way to much going on and haven't had time to sit in front of the PC hardly at all until tonight.

I remember you very well, Brooke.  I would venture to say that you were the most prolific writer in the game back then.  And fun to fly with also.  Good to see you again my friend.  

And yes, if I do anything at all in this game, I will definitely be signing up for the scenarios.  That was always my favorite thing to do.  I would plan for those for days, printing maps and drawing all over them and making customized lists that I taped to the monitor for use during the scenario.  I goofed around a lot while just flying AW, but I got real serious about the scenarios.

I am probably going to start paying for AH again soon.  We are trying to finish up with the deal on our old home and remodel a kitchen and get ready for a party next Saturday and, and ....  It's just been real hectic here and will be for a while longer, but after it slows down, I'll most likely renew my account and try to learn how to fly the unfriendly skies again.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2005, 10:26:31 PM »
And you think you would be getting some royalties for all those stories of your bombing feats in them old days :D

I remember a few times you parking a tank behind a runway and blowing up eveything that spawned. That takes patience !