Author Topic: Sound experts: MPEG Layer-3 & MS Sound Recorder question  (Read 103 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Sound experts: MPEG Layer-3 & MS Sound Recorder question
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »
I teach computers at a K-8 school.  This weekend I created a lesson using Microsoft’s Sound Recorder.  Students will record their voice in MPEG Layer-3 format.  I designed my lesson on my home Windows ME machine and then tested everything at school on 3 PCs to make sure that it was all the same on XP machines.  Just before my class arrived I did another test, only to find that MPEG Layer-3 was no longer a recording format option.  Puzzled, I burned up the few minutes that I had before class trying to figure out what happened.  Confused, I bailed on the lesson for today.  After class I checked the student machines (Identical to mine); the four that I looked at could all record in MPEG Layer-3 format.  Somehow, over the weekend, just my PC lost the ability to record in MPEG Layer-3 format.  It lists 11 out of the 12 formats that the other PCs have, but no longer MPEG Layer-3.  It can open a MPEG Layer-3 file, but after clicking: Save as > Change - there is no option to resave as an MPEG Layer-3.  

What in the world could have happened?
How can I fix the sound recorder on my PC?

Thanks,

eskimo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:13:33 PM »
If the file is already an MP3, the option to save as an MP3 will not show as the file is already an MP3.  You just save the file.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 05:17:14 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
If the file is already an MP3, the option to save as an MP3 will not show as the file is already an MP3.  You just save the file.

Skuzzy,

Thanks for your reply but the problem is that there no longer an option to record live sound, with a mic, in MPEG format.  It has disappeared from the list on one machine.

Any ideas?

eskimo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 05:50:51 PM »
I misunderstood.  I thought you were doing a "Save as" on a file that was already in MP3 format.

The only time I have seen an option to "Save as" disappear from the list occurs when the data is already in the format of that option.

Odd.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 05:59:02 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I misunderstood.  I thought you were doing a "Save as" on a file that was already in MP3 format.

The only time I have seen an option to "Save as" disappear from the list occurs when the data is already in the format of that option.

Odd.

Do you think that there is an option to reinstall the MS Sound Recorder from the Windows CD?

Is it possible (or likely considering how weird this is) that a virus brought in by an MPEG file could have messed with that format?

eskimo