Author Topic: Changing Tack, Bush Says Terror War Winnable  (Read 885 times)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Changing Tack, Bush Says Terror War Winnable
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 08:45:26 PM »
Who said this:

"Saddam Hussein signed that agreement. Saddam Hussein is in office today because of that agreement. It is the only reason he survived in 1991. In 1991, the world collectively made a judgment that this man should not have weapons of mass destruction. And we are here today in the year 2002 with an uninspected 4-year interval during which time we know through intelligence he not only has kept them, but he continues to grow them.

I believe the record of Saddam Hussein's ruthless, reckless breach of international values and standards of behavior which is at the core of the cease-fire agreement, with no reach, no stretch, is cause enough for the world community to hold him accountable by use of force, if necessary. The threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but as I said, it is not new. It has been with us since the end of that war, and particularly in the last 4 years we know after Operation Desert Fox failed to force him to reaccept them, that he has continued to build those weapons."

It was the same guy who later said this in 2004:

"Look, this administration misled the American people, abused the power that they were given, and has run an ineffective war on terror. Saddam Hussein was way down the list, with respect to the targets, even on the Pentagon's own list of targets. And what they did was supplant Iraq for the real war on terror, which is Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and terror across the world. The war on terror is less of a military operation and far more of an intelligence-gathering and law-enforcement operation. And we deserve presidential leadership that knows that and knows how to make America safer, and I will do that."

That is waffling.  Or more accurrately, political opportunism.  

ra

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 08:45:35 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Grun,

As in the steps you've outlined, the best you can do with terroism is manage it best you can. Point is the war on terror itself can never be won hence my original message and points.

...-Gixer

This is obviously a war aginst global fanatic islamic terrorism. A battle aginst terrorism inspired by that movement.

That can be ended as a serious threat, but it will take time.

Nothing will end terrorism as a tactic. Just as nothingg will end war as a tactic.

Its like saying that we didnt win ww2 because the korean war came after it.

Offline OneWordAnswer

• Copper Member
      • http://www.theanswerman.org/
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 08:47:41 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
grun terror is a factor of life.  we will always suffer at the hands of terrorist.  there is simple nonthing you can do.

French.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 08:50:25 PM »
Grun i disagree this "war" is not just against islam but all the terror in the world.  Terrorist aren't just limited to islam.  America has even provided its own Christian terror who claimed  "I was on a mission from god".  So no its not just Islam.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 08:52:22 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
A working democracy/republic in the Middle East would be a step down the road out of the Dark Ages.

But it's a long, long road.

Actually, I cannot imagine it.  Not when I consider the population, the politics, the history of the region.    It just seems real unlikely to me.

I think the best we can achieve is some kind of puppet regime, strongly supported by the U.S.   And that won't end the violence, it will prolong it.    What a mess.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 08:54:06 PM »
I think the best we can achieve is some kind of puppet regime, strongly supported by the U.S. And that won't end the violence, it will prolong it. What a mess.

Then what will end it?

Offline OneWordAnswer

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 08:54:50 PM »
"I was on a mission from god".  

Movie.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 08:57:10 PM »
Originally posted by OneWordAnswer
Movie.
el wrong.  maybe you should watch america's most wanted.  they did on one terrorist once, and it said "He told friends that he was on a mission from god"  he is just a wacko.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline OneWordAnswer

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:32 PM »
el wrong.  maybe you should watch america's most wanted.  they did on one terrorist once, and it said "He told friends that he was on a mission from god"  he is just a wacko.

Criminal.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2004, 09:02:16 PM »
Originally posted by OneWordAnswer
Criminal.
no terrorist.  it was a special on 10 most wanted terrorist.  it was reight after 9/11
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2004, 09:05:43 PM »
Gixer.....sure, will try.

I havent heard bush give a fear message so cant comment on that. So far as terror message goes, to say he as president should stop giving them, is the same as saying , if we dont think about it it will go away. Evil has never done that.

War on terror is a proper term as we are at war, problem is bush so far is to pc to say the truth, which is, were are in a reglious war, not anything we want, but there it is.

Muslim against just about anything else. All muslims ?, no of course not,  but at the least 150 million of them and at most 800 million of them. Do you not remember all of the centuries old buildings of the buddest faith they destoryed a few years ago, and yet they cry about their so called holy stuff.

If you take out hate and them from your list, the rest is intertwined , and evil. This terrorism isnt new, it has been around since the muslim religion took hold. Just different weapons,[ a real problem] and more of them and they have the oil.

It has been defeated before, and can again, Isreal could stop it in less than three months if we let them. It will take us a long time, because of most of the left here and world opionion.

There are just 2 many people that say the war on terror is pointless,yet the goal is to get it back to being like murder, happens once in a while and is not a threat to millions of people.

These people will never, ever have more of a reason to live than to die. As you know they believe they will win because, qoute.... ,we love death and you love life. My goodness that saying has been around as long as their religion has, most people just dont know it.

Although many are beginning to realize, we are at war with a religion, and not a people, the majority dont. That is one of the 5 reasons we went into Iraq, and of these 5 it is amazing how many dont know or have heard of 2 of them.

To those on the left, a warning.....We are at war, this is ww3 as sure as ww2 was ww2. If we as a nation do not wake up,it is possible millions of us and our children will die.

I know how this sounds, I asure you I and others like me are not nut cases, I just dont believe most of those here has really thought about how easy it would be to take us down. There is truth to the saying...united we stand , divided we fall,  and divided we are.

NO disrespect intended.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2004, 09:30:05 PM »
Grun i disagree this "war" is not just against islam but all the terror in the world.  Terrorist aren't just limited to islam.  America has even provided its own Christian terror who claimed  "I was on a mission from god".  So no its not just Islam.

This is not a war aginst the IRA.

This is a war aginst the movement that attcaked us on 911...

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 09:35:08 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
This is not a war aginst the IRA.

This is a war aginst the movement that attcaked us on 911...
and that movement can never be stopped.  Just like the idea of Freedom in the british colnies in the late 1800's.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 09:44:55 PM »
and that movement can never be stopped.  Just like the idea of Freedom in the british colnies in the late 1800's.

Then, as a nation and a civilization lets give up and do nothing.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 09:53:51 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Then, as a nation and a civilization lets give up and do nothing.
yes let do that.  but might i suggust we stop wasting money oversea's  that will in the end just end up being a waste and focus more of that money on homeland security?  That makes much more sense than spend $1 million to fire a cruise missle and kill few terrorist.  That $1 million could be spent on make a New military branch type thing that is regulated by the air force.  this military force would be Secruity at airport, train's and all types of Pulbic transport.  imo that would be much more resourceful than launch the missle.  it is almost as if we are flushing money down the toliet.

i meant to throw in there that instead of ki8lling a few replaceable men, my idea would stop all attempts at terrorist involving transportation items.  discouraging them from tring again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 09:56:18 PM by B17Skull12 »
II/JG3 DGS II