Author Topic: Killed, and booted to system reboot!  (Read 304 times)

Offline TCFkas

• Zinc Member
Killed, and booted to system reboot!
« on: August 29, 2004, 07:48:02 PM »
Ok, I'm really tired of this.  Tonight in "Tank Town" everytime I get killed I get booted from AHII and my system reboots.  This is not the first time I've logged on since since installing SP2.  But, since V10 I've noticed it happening occasionally, but usually only when I get iced in a field gun.  WTF!!!!!!!:mad:

Offline TCFkas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »
Ok, not necessarily because I was getting killed...or so it seemed later in the evening.  Went through task manager and shut down many things (system items I wasn't allowed to shut down) but still had problem, just not as severe.

Offline trox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 12:10:03 PM »
Rebooting of the system might be caused by overheating of CPU, GPU or memory.
Also memory that doesnt work good anymore may cause a reboot.
Check fans/coolers if they are still working, PC-case works as a vacuum cleaner so they may be dirty as well.

Offline TCFkas

• Zinc Member
Nope
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 03:21:56 PM »
Thanks, but that's not it.  It's a new system, P4 3.2 w/ 528 mg memory and 128 vid card.  I wish I knew what all these things in Task Manager were, some I can shut down, some the system won't let me, and some crash the system when shut down  :)

But, shutting them down does help some.

Thanks again.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »
At the top of the tech support forum are some "sticky" posts. In one of them is a list of services in Windows you can turn off to get better performance.

The big ones are firewall, anti virus programs, Windows Update and Messenger but there are a dozen more that you can shut down too.

Give it a look.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nope
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 12:32:45 PM »
Originally posted by TCFkas
Thanks, but that's not it.  It's a new system, P4 3.2 w/ 528 mg memory and 128 vid card.  I wish I knew what all these things in Task Manager were, some I can shut down, some the system won't let me, and some crash the system when shut down  :)

But, shutting them down does help some.

Thanks again.

This is from Skuzzys Hints and Tips...GENERAL CPU UTILIZATION

Windows, by default, has several processes which run in background, that can cause odd problems with online gaming as well as security issues.
For Windows 2000 and XP users:
Go to your Control Panel and doule click the "Administrative Tools" ICON. Then double-click the "Services" ICON.
This will show you a list of processes Windows will run or start at boot time. Some will show as "Running". To alter the state of any of the listed processes, simply right-click on it, and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
The processes you can safely "Disable" are as follows:

Automatic Updates (this is one nasty program)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Fax Service (NOTE: unless you are using your computer to send/receive FAXES)
Internet Connection Sharing (NOTE: unless you use your computer so that other computers access the Internet through it)
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Messenger
Print Spooler (unless you have a printer connected)
Remote Registry Service
Routing and Remote Access (unless your computer is also acting as a router for the LAN)
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
Task Scheduler (unless you have your computer automatically run programs for you...not recommended to leave enabled)
Telephony (NOTE: XP and Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later users may not be able to disable this without it disabling your Internet connection)
Telnet (unless you want to be able to telnet to your computer from a remote location......not recommended to leave enabled)
Uninterruptible Power Supply (unless you have a Windows compliant UPS system)

All others are at your discretion, but take care. Windows will allow you to shut off services that can keep your computer from booting. The ones you must not touch have RPC in the name.

A well tuned Windows 2000/XP system should only have about 16 background processes running.

Offline TCFkas

• Zinc Member
Neg
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks, but I had already been through all that, and those didn't help.  But I think I've got it now.  Everytime I boot up to play I'll just have to go to task mgr and close stuff out.  I think I've figured out what I can and can't shut down in there.  But, should would be nice to know what each is.

Thanks for the helpful tips all.