Author Topic: Rainbow Trout  (Read 561 times)

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Rainbow Trout
« on: September 02, 2004, 09:20:56 AM »
Rainbow season is almost upon us up here in Western NY. Gona be a long one too ! Im stockn up on heatn pads now.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 10:38:12 AM »
Season? Rainbows can be had here 12 months a year. Just drive to a mountain lake.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »
Here too. Got any good recipes?

h

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »
mmm... Rainbow Trout

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 11:25:30 AM »
They are less active in the heat of summer. so some of the best fishing for them is after the waters cool. but you can catch them all year if you know what your doing.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 11:41:31 AM »
Yes you can catch em all year round, but with the lack of a completly built boat, fishing in lake Erie deep water is alittle hard. Its really lake trout, but everyone calls it Rainbow anyway. But it only safe to eat em around here towards fall. When there fatter. Only allowed to eat one fish a month up here. Otherwise you may become sick, but that hasnt stopped me. They put up better fights in the colder months too.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 11:45:24 AM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Yes you can catch em all year round, but with the lack of a completly built boat, fishing in lake Erie deep water is alittle hard. Its really lake trout, but everyone calls it Rainbow anyway. But it only safe to eat em around here towards fall. When there fatter. Only allowed to eat one fish a month up here. Otherwise you may become sick, but that hasnt stopped me. They put up better fights in the colder months too.

whats in those fish if you may get sick after one?

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 12:25:45 PM »
Lake Erie aint the cleanest lake. Its had a bad past and is finally coming around to being nice again. It was flamable in some parts bout 20 years ago. Some fish have parasites, others have stuff scientists dont know about. I can give you more details on whats in em later. My step dad is a marine biolgist that works for a company that does maps on contaminated areas in NY. I can then find out what is in em. I know that you dont eat any bottom feeders here eccept maybe 1 catfish a year. One of 2 public beaches is located next to a sewage plant, and after it rains the beach is closed because the plant overflows into the lake.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:39:43 PM by BlueJ1 »
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 12:47:25 PM »
Originally posted by Horn
Here too. Got any good recipes?

h

simpler is beter with rainbows-
 they should be cooked with the head on, they just don't taste right if you cut it off before cooking.

gut them and squeaze a bit of lemon juice in the gut cavity.
 roll the fish in a mix of flour, pepper, and a little salt.
 then either pan fry, grill them (on a grill or a stick over the fire), or wrap in foil and set in the edge of the fire.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 12:48:54 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Season? Rainbows can be had here 12 months a year. Just drive to a mountain lake.

Hmmm... I'm fairly certain that this is not true state-wide.
sand

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 01:00:10 PM »
Lake Erie aint the cleanest lake. Its had a bad past and is finally coming around to being nice again. It was flamable in some parts bout 20 years ago. Some fish have parasites, others have stuff scientists dont know about. I can give you more details on whats in em later. My step dad is a marine biolgist that works for a company that does maps on contaminated areas in NY. I can then find out what is in em. I know that you dont eat any bottom feeders here eccept maybe 1 catfish a year. One of 2 public beaches is located next to a sewage plant, and after it rains the beach is closed because the plant overflows into the lake.

aha i see.. leftover from the daker days of the industry. was like that in some places here too in the 70-80's, but in the last 10 years or so they have had extremly strict rules. whats in the waters now are only the leftovers from that era that hasnt been cleaned out yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:51:55 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 01:06:38 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
simpler is beter with rainbows-
 they should be cooked with the head on, they just don't taste right if you cut it off before cooking.

gut them and squeaze a bit of lemon juice in the gut cavity.
 roll the fish in a mix of flour, pepper, and a little salt.
 then either pan fry, grill them (on a grill or a stick over the fire), or wrap in foil and set in the edge of the fire.

Yeah not bad, been eating them that way for a long time--trout is a staple around here tho most don't like the rainbows as they tend to be "white meat" fish and as such are bland when compared to the pink meat of a brown or a brook. Depends on what they are feeding on mostly.

Try this one:

4 med (3/4 lb) trout, cleaned, head on
2 tsps salt
1 cup vinegar, heated
4 cups water
1/4 cup dry white wine
sprig 'o parsley
1 lemon sliced
1 tomato sliced

Sprinkle inside of trout w about 1/4 tsp of salt. Set in a large platter and cover w/ hot vinegar (It will turn the trout blue). In a gal saucepan, combine water, rest of salt and the wine to a simmer. Carefully remove trout from platter and place in water and simmer (NOT BOIL) trout for about 15 minutes.

Take fish out of water and drain on paper towels. Serve garnished with the lemon, tomato and sprig of parsley.

If you want to almondine it a bit, slice up some almonds and dry cook in a small skillet til they start to brown and sprinkle on the fish after cooking.

h

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 01:14:21 PM »
One of 2 pubic beaches  

tee-hee hee.. that what you call nudey beaches? pubic beaches?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:56:10 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »
no we got 2 public beaches, and a whole lotta beach that is free to go on, just aint "clean". Nude beaches are every night during the summer bout 20 feet away from the bonfire. :aok
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Rainbow Trout
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 01:38:31 PM »
you missed out the l on public, hence pubic (like pubic hair, pubic region) hence me asking about nudey beaches ;)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --