Author Topic: When Is It Safe To Turn Off Anti-Virus?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
When Is It Safe To Turn Off Anti-Virus?
« on: September 03, 2004, 12:17:07 AM »
I've seen the threads and posts about turning off anti-virus programs while playing Aces High to improve the connection, but it still makes me uncomfortable to ever turn off anti-virus protection while doing anything on the internet.  

I'd appreciate clarification on the following:

1.  Is it totally safe to turn off anti-virus protection while playing Aces High?

2.  Is it totally safe to turn off anti-virus protection while reading the Aces High bulletin board?

3.  Is it totally safe to turn off anti-virus protection while following links on the Aces High bulletin board?

4.  Is it totally safe to turn off anti-virus protection while downloading any file linked to the Aces High bulletin board?

I'm guessing the answers are:

1.  Yes (but I'd still rather leave anti-virus on).

2.  No.

3.  No.

4.  No.

How'd I do?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 01:43:20 AM »
there isnt any bad scripts "bugs" on this bbs ..Skuzzy has it well under control ..  but the links can be a different story ..

as for turning off AV it depends on which one your running .

Ive been using Fix it utilities(trend micro av patterns) for the last 3 years and ive never had to turn mine off (note its set to manual update so that doesnt go off while gaming) except for a couple of troubleshooting issues ..

note : if your net bios and other protocals arnt configured correctly they can get in your pc at anytime ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 03:47:29 AM »
I have AV running at all times except I turn off real time virus protection while playing AH or any offline game.  I leave firewall running ALL THE TIME. never any problems.

Trend Micro Internet Security

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 04:02:17 AM »
Originally posted by FOGOLD
I have AV running at all times except I turn off real time virus protection while playing AH or any offline game.  I leave firewall running ALL THE TIME. never any problems.

Trend Micro Internet Security

FOGOLD has it on the money here.  Turning off your AV program won't hurt you a bit.  Disabling your firewall, if you have one, is where you will run into problems.  The only time that your AV program is ultilized is when the "automatic update" or "real time protection" is enabled or when it's scanning both emails and your system.  I'm sure that you wouldn't be snoopin' around in your email while playing AH, so you will be ok.  However, for peace of mind sake, you might run it right before you play...and then shut it off.:aok

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 09:24:50 AM »
Free and also very good (pro version ($) has been rated #1 for years - maybe the best still)

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_51_011.exe

Free aniti virus

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 06:44:18 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I run Norton Anti-Virus with manual updates.  Norton usually updates on Thursday unless there is a special problem warranting more immediate update.

I have a physical firewall in Linksys net plus Microsoft 2 pack.

From your replies, good to know that:

(1) it seems to be safe to play Aces High without an antivirus program running,

(2) it seems to be safe to read the Aces High bulletin board without an antivirus program running (but better to leave it on anyway since no interference),

(3) it's best to be running an antivirus program if following any links off the Aces High bulletin board,

(4) it's best to be running an antivirus program if downloading any file linked to the Aces High bulletin board.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous