Author Topic: Swedish Airforce Day (I got to fly this baby...)  (Read 392 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Swedish Airforce Day (I got to fly this baby...)
« on: September 03, 2004, 02:52:56 AM »
Annual Swedish Airforce day, held at F17 Kallinge this year.
About 50+ civilians (+ about 40 000 more who came by car and buss etc) flew there in their small planes, I was one of them (acting co-pilot). Everybody who flew there had to participate in a so called "arrival contest".

Rules were, that at a specific time, you were to pass above a church in a small town a few kilometers away from the field, this was to make sure all planes didn't come at once, every plane/pilot had their own time. Our time was 09.39:00.

The three best times won a ride in a 4 seat SK60. The SK60 is the Swedish airforces school plane. It is also an attack plane however it is not used for any sort of attack or combat role anymore, stricly training. They've all got newly installed engines and the top speed is a bit more then 600km/h.

Me and my pilot won the contest, we arrived exactly 09.39:00 ( :D ), number 2 and 3 both came +2 seconds on their time so they got to split the second place. My pilot gave the SK60 spot to me as he had flown them lots before, aswell as the Lansen back when he was a fighter pilot. He recently retired from commercial flying with between 18 000 and 20 000 flight hours behind him.

Of course, as #1 I got to sit in the front and fly aswell :)

Anyway, here are some pictures, starting with the ones of me and the SK60.

It's me waving my hand.

Getting ready.

Waiting.

Stepping in.

Ready to go.

Taxing out!

Happy!

No pictures of the actual flight, the plane took off a bit too far away from the stop plate.

I can tell ya this, it was one hell of a fun ride! Very nice to get to fly a Jet, very VERY easy specially compared to a Glider where one has to work the rudders. No need for rudders at all in Jets. Above 300km/h in the SK60 the plane flew completely "clean" without using the rudders in rolls and turns. The elevator got very heavy when pulling 4G's in 600Km/h as there were no hydralics for the elevator, only the ailerons.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 03:19:59 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 02:57:49 AM »
wtg lucky boy !

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:59:00 AM »
dweeb.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 03:07:37 AM »
Cool !
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 03:18:06 AM »
Enough of the gloating for now

Now to the other pictures!

Several airforces had come to Sweden that day, Danish and Dutch and German airplanes were there.

It was also the first time I had the plessure of seing a "division" of Gripens in the air, very nice I have to say. The F16, F18 and Mirage 2000 all flew and all put up a very nice show.

"Vingarna" (Helicopter group).

A Danish Chopper on the ground.

Swedish HKP4 (HKP = Helikopter = Helicopter)

Now to the old Swedish Fighter J32 Lansen, it was later replaced by the more well Known J35 Draken. The Lansen was what the pilot I flew to the show with flew when he was a fighter pilot.

Sk60 on the ground (2 seat version).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 03:21:02 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 03:23:33 AM »
SAAB B17. This a great for Sweden, to finally have a Warbird era plane flying again. This is a Swedish light dive Bomber, the first plane entered service in December 1941 and used a Radial engine (the Swedes had mannaged to copy a Prat and Whitney engine and then built it without lisence ). It was SO great to see this bird in the air again!

Mirage 2000

Hercules

SU26

Tornado

Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 03:29:20 AM »
Dutch F16 (think it was Dutch) put on a very nice show, looked like the pilot really wanted to show up what he and his plane could do.

F18 (Swiss?). This pilot also put up a very nice show, the F18 has got a very impressive Alpha.

Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 03:34:13 AM »
Now to the first 4:th Generation fighter in the world.

Gripen, these guys flew kind of close.

Team 60

And finally, the Swedish Flag :)

Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 03:36:20 AM »
Once again, a BIG THANK YOU to my friend Harppa for putting these files on his webspace!

(more B17 info here)

(LOL @ Skull :D )
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 03:38:55 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 04:26:56 AM »
you're still a Dweeb.  I christen thee "Jet Dweeb":D
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 05:20:18 AM »
Nice Wilbus, did u puke? :)

Thx for the pictures.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 05:37:09 AM »
No, I didn't puke but I felt very light headed at times, it's like a drug :)

I'm a glider pilot so had some experience, of course, flying at 90-150Km/h in a glider is not exactly the same thing as flying at 600Km/h and pulling 4G's (although 4 ain't that much) for several seconds :)

The pilot also took us up above the cloud layer, about 3000 meters alt or so and played around, flying directly above the clouds pretending it was the ground, 600Km/h, it really felt like flying along the ground, clouds wizzing by fast as hell, going through one or two clouds, I love it, wanna do it again, greatest experience I've ever had, even better then gliding! The pilot loved flying just above the clouds like that, he said it's the only way you're alowed to fly "low level" anymore.

The pilot had also flown two years as a JA37 Viggen pilot and had now converted to JAS 39 Gripen, he had some 500 flight hours total (a bit less then then 20 000 my friend has got ;) ). He liked the SK60 alot but complained some that it didn't "quite" have the engine power of his Gripen
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 05:38:39 AM »
BTW, if anyone would like bigger pictures I can mail them to you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 06:04:28 AM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 06:28:41 AM »
Nice pics Wilbus & congrats on the jet ride/fly. It's funny how my mental image of people I hear on Vox almost always turns out to be 100% wrong ;)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 06:30:41 AM »
Yup Chortle, same here, mental image is pretty much always 100% wrong.

How did you imagine me? Older? ;)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson