Author Topic: An alternative to ENY as we know it  (Read 320 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
An alternative to ENY as we know it
« on: September 06, 2004, 01:10:04 PM »
From what Ive seen the eny restrictions havent done much to make people switch sides to fly what they want. I still see the same faces, many of those who complain in here regularly on how they hate not being able to fly their rides of choice. But still they stay with their side and fight.

To me and apparantly many in here, the game is more about flying with friends you've flown with for a long time, and the odd loyalties online games have. A person that switches to the lowest numbered side every time he logs on may be having fun, but I personally doubt he is getting out of the game, those that fly as a team, together do.

That said, I do like the idea of limiting planes in some way. But rather than making it a global restriction, Id like to see it affect damaged bases. Such as, if a base loses the fuel and ammo, then the ENY is set at like 24 or so, for that base. That would have the effect of slowing done a bases offensive power. A couple outnumbered guys could still get in and destroy those targets, forcing the high numbered side to resort to low end attack planes, or go elsewhere. (edit)The low numbered teams wouldnt be affected by this only the high numbered team.

The other undamaged bases could still support all aircraft making those that want to fly a certain plane happier, although they may have to fly a little further to use it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 05:36:28 PM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
Re: An alternative to ENY as we know it
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
    A person that switches to the lowest numbered side every time he logs on may be having fun, but I personally doubt he is getting out of the game, those that fly as a team, together do.

Agreed.  

HTC may have assumed that squadrons would have no problem moving 30+ people from one country to another just to balance the arena out on any given day.  :rolleyes:  And, I think they failed to recognize just how team-oriented many of their customers actually are.

That said, I do like the idea of limiting planes in some way. But rather than making it a global restriction, Id like to see it affect damaged bases. Such as, if a base loses the fuel and ammo, then the ENY is set at like 24 or so, for that base. That would have the effect of slowing done a bases offensive power. A couple outnumbered guys could still get in and destroy those targets, forcing the high numbered side to resort to low end attack planes, or go elsewhere.

The other undamaged bases could still support all aircraft making those that want to fly a certain plane happier, although they may have to fly a little further to use it.

If a base is destroyed, the ENY-r at that base won't matter anyway.  So, maybe the ENY-r would have to be extended 1 or 2 sectors around the damaged base?

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 02:11:34 PM »
more whines.  that is all i can say flit.  the furballers would just come screaming back.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »
I agree, Skull. That being the case .. let's go ahead and expand it to the entire map. Sounds like fun. :D

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 05:35:37 PM »
Well I was thinking it would help the low numbered folk if they could pork a base down to eny levels. Their own front base is likely mincemeat by that time anyways. (OH BTW!!!  I meant to say that it only affects the high numbered guys. The low numbered team could still use better planes)

~AoM~

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 05:48:50 PM »
Nonono ... I like the idea of stubborn chesspiece loyalty forcing everyone on every side the fly high eny planes. Then everyone can feel the hate.

aside to DoK GonZo:

DoK ... man ... it's fair ... and .... the hate! Sounds like fun to me. :D

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 03:50:01 AM »
Ummmm the ENY limmit should not be there to make people swich sides. It should be there to ballance the strenghts of each sides forces.

A bigger side in lesser planes should be equal to a smaller side in better planes. Im not sure this does work in theory BUT it does bring the strenghts of the sides closer then in unlimmited situation.

The real problem of the ENY limmit system is that people refuse to fly a lesser plane. They need their uber plane or they quit. They are to spoiled to take the challange of flying something less good.

Squads that fly 51-Ds exclusivly refuse to have a backup plane to fly. They refuse to fly the 51-B instead or the 47, 40 or 38.

The problem doesnt lay in people not swiching sides, because that shouldnt be the issue at the first place. The problem is players beeing to spolied to fly something other then THEIR toy.

I think since the community is spoiled to this extream level the only way to do a ballancing by numbers is to perk up planes and not locking them. This way you will achive a slighter down grade in fleet strength as players who refuse to get out of their planes will buy em for perks but the players who dont mind a down grade will do so.

Also the squads who fly 51Ds exclusivly should have so many perks stacked up that it doesnt hurt them to pay for the 51Ds now and then.

I think doing it through perking planes would achive the same thing BUT it would give the players an option.

Tex

Tex

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 03:53:31 AM »
I dont care about any ENY limiter I just want to play!:D

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:38:28 AM »
Maybe a combination of the two suggestions?

When a base has its ammo and fuel destroyed this base and the adjacent bases (parameter to work out) should have a HEAVY (another parameter to work out) Perk-Tag on the planes.

This way everyone can fly what he/she wants, even free, but not in the immediate vicinity (sp?) of an attacked field. If they want to furball in a 51D all day, they are either gonna spend some perkies or fly for quite some time. Or fly long once and try to rearm on an attacked field :rofl

Still some will whine (LA-7-Furballers maybe?) but it would give everyone a fair chance to fly whatever he wants I think.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 07:56:43 AM »
I personally don't have a problem with the Eny limiter the way it is, A6M pilo here;) .   But I do like the rising- falling perk idea I do think that would kill some of the "I WANT TO FLY MY SO AND SO PLANE" gripe and yes I know some people have 10 gazillion fighter perks stacked up but I think sooner or l8er everyone would have to fly the lower end planes to get those perks back... Either that or they will have to fly the plane of choice really well while it's not perked. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 07:59:25 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 08:07:07 AM »
I flew the f4uc alot last month and died alot. I had aquired 1000 or so perks from when I started in June, but now Im down to about 3oo. I am now in the process of rebuilding.  Seems that even tho I got some kills in the f4uc, just 1 death was usually 3 times more costly than the kills I got.

~AoM~

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 08:19:26 AM »
I wish those low eny planes that become disabled turned into low cost perk planes instead...Would have same effect without making some people mad they are unable to fly them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 08:22:35 AM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**