Author Topic: Whats the longest distance that you have got a kill from?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Whats the longest distance that you have got a kill from?
« on: February 02, 2000, 04:22:00 AM »
Hi there.

Can you all answer this two questions for me?

#1 What is the longest distance that you  have got an kill from?

#2 at what distance do you usually open fire from?

Regards.

// -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2000, 04:52:00 AM »
1 - longest kill: 1200 with 109G10 (3 20mm set). The victim was P51.

2 - Normal distance: It depends. For example, when you go HO (and you cant evade HO) against a F4UC, a good tactic is to start firing from more than 1000 just to hide your plane behind your shots. As you know, with so excesive smoke trails you can hide yourself with your own bullets. But the normal distance for me is about 400 - 700 (depending on the rate of closure) for non maneouvering targets and 100 - 400 for turning battles.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2000, 07:08:00 AM »
My longest kill was from 33k using a 500lber.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2000, 10:08:00 AM »
 Early on in the beta while flying a B17 I got a niki at 1300 yards. Can we say spray and pray? this time someone was listening  
Now I try to show some restraint and hold my shot to 400 yards at the absolute max, trying for 200 or less most of the time. It seems to be working, I got some 4 and 5 kill sorties last night. It was a nice change of pace  

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
Longest: 800 yds.  Was a hail mary shot at a fleeing P-51.

Usual: 200-300 for fighters, 400-500 for buffs.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
My longest kill was about 800yds on a spit.
But my normal range is about 400.

I think you'll notice that a majority if not all of the long range kills will be on the p51 with is glass stab that comes off with 2 pings or less usually.

baneX
=357th Pony Express=
"Need a package delivered? Call the Pony Express"

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2000, 10:31:00 AM »
My longest kill was 10,000 miles when I blew the wings off of some dweeb in Australia.  

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
My normal shots ring in at about 200-350 (I like to get in close) and I have taken a liking to the 109g10 with either 3 20mm, or the 30mm with the gondolas....rip em up, then reverse and nail their chute with them cannons  
SPLAT!

Oh yeah, and the longest range is a 900-850 burst on a chute with those cannons, and it wasn't open yet  

BTW, I never knew that WW2 pilots carried TNT in their pockets, that's perty cool  

------------------
-Rebel
"With a Rebel yell!"

[This message has been edited by Rebel (edited 02-02-2000).]
"You rebel scum"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2000, 10:54:00 AM »

rofl....

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
800yrd is longest kill,but took a lot of ammo from me p51.

On average,i hold off and let loose from 175 to 300. Except in HO. Against any AC ill start letting rounds off at 1200yrd to get the hit range,then full trigger when i see hits. And i have taken out every AC in AH including F4U-C  

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »
Longest kill in fighter 1k, in bomber 1.4k. (Note: Big waste of ammo firing beyond 1k in fighter IMO and 1.5k in bomber.  Also, any hits are spead apart and weak.)
I usually try to wait until about 1.2k in a bomber, but only fire a few bursts for targeting, then open fire around 900.  In a fighter, I usually wait until about 450 yds.  If the target doesn't see me, I'll wait until 200.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2000, 05:46:00 PM »
Longest kill was in a P51 shooting at a 109. I Saw hits start at about 1000 and ending about 900.  Saw the wing depart from the 109.

It was a pure luck shot and I havent reproduced it since.  Most extreme range seems to be around 750-800 now.

I have conv set for 400.  Thats where I usually try to keep things targeted.

PS
I have noticed that the 20mms' on the F4U-1C seem to pack an awesome wallup out past 600.
Maybe its the cyclic rate but they are ferocious.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 02-02-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Longest kill here was from 980 yards.  Chasing an FW-190 in my 109G-10, he was pulling away right on the deck.  Let a one second burst of MG fire go with him at the bottom of my gunsight.  He was startled and reefed it into the ground attempting a break turn but I don't think the bullets did enough damage for an outright kill.  Second longest kill was on an F4U-1C from 820 yards in my own -1 charlie.  40 rounds with maybe 8-10 hits.

300-400 yards is normal firing range here unless the bandit is pulling out of range or I'm attempting to shoot him off of a wingman's tail.

MiG

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2000, 08:19:00 PM »
I've picked a few guys off the top of their manuver.. hung still and helpless like a motionless target.. as far out as 1000 yards. Hail Mary shots...   Every time it's taken most if not all my stang's ammo to do it.

Usually, I open fire at d300 or less.. and then only if the shot is pretty certain.. he ain't manuvering.

For manuvering targets, it's much closer; 150 yards; or less. My convergence is set to 150; all 6 guns. Eric Hartmann style.   If yah let me get close; or start a scissors with me; yer in deeeeep deeeep doggie dooo.  

Hang (ruh roh!)

------------------
PALE HORSES
"I looked, and behold; a Pale Horse, and it's riders name was Death, and Hell followed with him" Rev 6.8
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2000, 09:15:00 PM »
This wasn't a kill, but a while back I was being tailed by a con in my B17.  I was considerably higher than him, and he was sitting there at 1.7k away grabbing alt.  I zoomed into my tailgunner sight, and started shooting rounds, 1/2 second bursts at a time, to save ammo.  Low and behold, at 1.7k, 3 pings registered across his wings...musta really scared the poor guy, cause he split-s'd off the instant after the shots registered.  Funny, he didn't even grab to try again    I don't normally shoot at that range but it was a long mission and that was he only con I encountered the whole time...talk about boredom    In the buff I start shooting seriously at 1.2k to 1k with well planned bursts, and full fire going on him below 1k, zoomed into the sight of course.

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group