Author Topic: Newbies in the Training Arena  (Read 256 times)

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
Newbies in the Training Arena
« on: January 07, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
Most of you that know me know that I have no problem with newbie or rookie pilots. I get a whole lot of enjoyment out of helping pilots who are new to the game and need some flight training. To be honest to there is nothing I like more than taking a Rookie for a spin in a couple of P38's.

BUT.

With this whole two week trial thing in place we have had a lot of people coming into the training arena and asking for help. FINE I really have no problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is when then come in without a joystick and then complain that the game really sucks.

I have had a few people who have been kinda abusive to me about the game and myself because they didn't have a joystick to play the game with.

HTC. Is there any chance you could include this in some part of the 2 week trial online agreement that you really "DO" need a joystick to play the game. I believe people would enjoy the game a lot more playing with one than coming in without one for the first time.

Am I being stupid?

Online Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
Joystick nothing you need a full hotas system complete with rudder pedals. at least a microsnot sidewinder or onother twisty stick. besides you thinks thats bad wait till they have a run in with xhunterx or pt108. That will really scare them off.

------------------
Mayhem 33rd S.G.
"Destination anywhere, so far gone, I'm already there!"
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
Once upon a time this sim wouldn't even load up unless it detected a joystick. Has that changed?

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »

Joystick nothing you need a full hotas system complete with rudder pedals. at least a microsnot sidewinder or onother twisty stick.

There are many pilots kicking bellybutton with less.  Try as you might.. the stick is not to blame.

AKDejaVu

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
Jez, i got a basic 4 button stick and pedals and thats it, and i do pretty well with it.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Ya I remember thinkin I could tear up Hollywood at the '97 Con when he disabled somebody's rudder and throttle so he could use the keyboard and Topgun stick in AW. Easy to think when your sitting behind Big-T's uber-setup. God he reamed me  

Just make sure you put a Yoke disclaimer on AH  

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Betown:

More annoying is when they jump into the Main Arena and ask "How to I drop bombs?"  "Where's the bombsight?"...and I am sure the list goes on and on.

One one hand, Id love to see them have their OWN 2-week Freebie room so they do not harass the paying folks

Yet then again, its nice to get a few easy kills  :-)  I love it when they fly level behind my bombers! hehe

Paul

Online Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by LePaul:
Betown:

More annoying is when they jump into the Main Arena and ask "How to I drop bombs?"  "Where's the bombsight?"...and I am sure the list goes on and on.

One one hand, Id love to see them have their OWN 2-week Freebie room so they do not harass the paying folks

Yet then again, its nice to get a few easy kills  :-)  I love it when they fly level behind my bombers! hehe

Paul

heh but then you would have us harassing them  

Actually In MA I ignore them. In TA I try to help them or I at least tell them to read the instruction at the web sight.

------------------
Mayhem 33rd S.G.
"Destination anywhere, so far gone, I'm already there!"
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Spatula:
Jez, i got a basic 4 button stick and pedals and thats it, and i do pretty well with it.

Ditto, But I agree that a warning that a stick is a "virtual necessity" (pun intended) is a good idea. It is TOUGH to fly with only a mouse and keyboard! For a newbie especially.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

TheWobble

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2001, 09:21:00 PM »
I dont mind heling mister newbie when he joins one of my games, but what annoys me is when the \newbie has quite obviously not even looked at the key mapping, they just join a game and want someone to tell them what every key does

Some of my favorite Newbie questions top 10

10. "how much are you charging for this game wobble?"

9."these AI planes sure are good"

8. "what plane is best?"

7. "how do i turn off the engine?"

6. "where are the jets"

5. "I cannot find missle sight"

4. "watch for sams"

3. screaming YOU bastards at enemy over and over again on team channel.

2.  "radi 1 2..that it?....radio 12...that it?....radio 21..that it...etc?

1. "what do i press to type messages?"

those are my fav's

Jay_76

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
The call me "Mr Newbie"...

Folks, as a newbie, I can say without reservation, there's a bit of a learning curve for people who've cut their teeth on games NOT intended for online play.  Cases in point, all the Sierra CFS's, half a dozen of the Microprose ones, Falcon 3, etc.  Not even the Lucasarts lineup had command line options to enable/disable for radios, salvo settings, etc, but I learned how to fly a bombing raid in SWOTL (while fending off the fighters with the .50's) so it couldn't have been all bad.

Its when people take the time to help newbies out that they decide to spend more time learning, not vice versa.  2 week trial isn't a lotta time, and most people just want to get up in the air and see what its all about.  Sure, a majority might leave and never come back- but a few will stick it out.

I had the hardest time learning all your wonderful acronyms (ain't no website covering them, is there??) for planes, intentions, and so forth, and I wouldn't have had a chance had I not flown in MSFS98 online, typing over the stupid chat window. Seriously, though, the acronyms must be the most confusing thing to people who've never encountered c.WW2 a/c before... Who the hell knows why they call 'em "Goons" unless you know a DC-3's nickname?

With FS98, at the same time I was flying online the most, there was the release of the Squawk Box flight controller software, which was fun and great at first- and then it got all elitist, to the point where you had to register for an account, study and be tested on basic knowledge before you could even fly on their CAS servers.  I guess it was their choice to go that way, and those that didn't like it didn't play, plain and simple.  

My point is, there's no such system here- you get thrown into the fight and you sink or swim.  If you don't give newbies a chance, AH will die off like anything else.

That all being said, I'm glad to say there's been lotsa folks who've given me a hand in learning basics, prolly without their even knowing.  I see the same attitude of helpfulness in this thread... just hope you don't go the road of elitist thinking.

Anyhow, 'nuff for me.

Jay.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Just to give the "equipment challenged" newbie a taste of the game in the TA, you could suggest that they fly a bomber using auto takeoff, put it in auto level, and jump to a gunner position.  Then attack them in a fighter and let them shoot at you.

Cheap thrills.  
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
Hmmmm... seems to me we'd want the total newbies to go to the TA and ask all the questions.  Beats the hell out of seeing them asked in the MA.

Seems to be more of an issue of no available "official" trainers than out-of-line newbies.

I'm sorry, but "how do you drop a bomb" is not an absurd qestion in the TA.  As a matter of fact, if I hear the question asked in the MA, I usually suggest that the individual hook up with a trainer and spend some time in the TA.. it will help immensely.

AKDejaVu

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
And that is exactly the right suggestion to make AKDejavu.

There ARE no stupid questions in the Training Arena.  I want the rawest of the raw base newbies in the training arena.. bring 'em on.  We'll hook 'em up with trainers and help get them straightened away.  If you are practicing in the TA and there are a bunch of newbies asking questions, try to help if you can.  If you are busy, have them check the help section on the HTC web site and email me or any of the other trainers for more help.

Remember, new people are the life blood of a game like AH, so please try to keep them around by helping out a bit.  If a newbie is asking lots of basic questions in the MA, help them out if you have time.  If not, a short private note asking them to check the HTC web site and hook up with a trainer or try to find one in the training arena will do the trick.

You can also give any newbie my personal email address, which is also posted on the HTC web site.  sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca  I'll make sure they get hooked up for training.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Maybe the training room needs a REALLY BRIGHT neon light saying "NEWBIES, START HERE".

That's what its there for.  I've spent a good deal of time there and I've been playing for almost a year.  I was in there recently trying to figure out how to milk some speed out of the P-51.  A few folks in there talked me through it (even flew my wing) a got me to the point where I could zoom in and out, pick my fights and run and much more.  And since Im largely a bomber/gooney guy, I found this very helpful.  After a few hours in the training room, I was ready for the Main Arena.

Jay_76:  That's what the training room is all about.  I understand you wanting to dive into the game since 2 weeks isnt a lot of time.  But, its there so you can figure out the game, its aircraft, weapons and such.  There are plenty in here, like that Cannuck Lephturn (   ) that can help ya out.

A friend of mine is learning to play Aces High.  He's an airline pilot who also flew KC-135s in the military.  While he loves the game so far, he's hearing the stall horn everytime he maneuvers and such....typical newbie problems with WW2 airplanes.  (Of course, his other major complaints are "No stewardesses" and "Where's the thrust reversers?")

Hang in there.  Its fun, really!

Paul