Author Topic: What car should i get?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: What car should i get?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2004, 05:02:10 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
Acura Integra GS-R, 1995 or so.  0-60 under 7 sec, great handling, great fuel economy, great reliability, great resale value, and a huge aftermarket.

Yep. That would be a good sport car choice.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
What car should i get?
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2004, 05:12:24 PM »
Also a Mazda Miata of similar vintage if you want a "pure" sports car.  They are a little underpowered but great handling cars.  You could autocross it bone stock, and again a huge aftermarket.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2004, 05:55:23 PM »
I would concur that a Miata is a great sports car.  I wouldn't mind having one as a second car.  

Not very practical for a daily diver though IMO.

J_A_B

Offline Irocz

• Zinc Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »
500 hp on wrong-wheel-drive, crazy.

Torque steer won't be that bad considering if he wants to put that power to the ground without sending his diff through the casing ,he's gonna need a strong LSD and the LSD will usually discourage torque steer. I just love the duality of these cars,stay off the gas and its a mid-size sedan that sounds like it has a vacuum leak and then when you hop on it, you're instantly reminded whats under there and many don't realize what these cars are capable of(which is a good thing). My GS whistles like crazy under load almost reminds me of a 737 starting up. I also liked the last gen. Maximas,test drove a 02' GXE and was very impressed,tranny felt a little weird but was car was very responsive in everyway. But I believe the pricetag on that was 18500 with 41,xxx miles, so I guess thats out of the question.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 08:59:23 PM by Irocz »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
What car should i get?
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2004, 09:01:38 PM »
Yep turbos are fun.
With FWD you can get an LSD (or a spool) and you can learn to deal with torque steer, but you can't do anything about weight transfer.  RWD car is always going to have an advantage off the line if everything else is equal.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Re: What car should i get?
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2004, 09:14:48 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I just got my drivers' licence today, and i have $7,000 somewhere in my room :D

My question is what car should i get? used Hondas, Toyotas, or Ford?

just sit outside any pawn boker in Vegas with in a hr or two some slob will come with his baby to hock it or sell it.  Picked up some nice cars that way when I lived in Reno.

Or best car for money is go to banks ask them what repo's they taking bids on. When bank repo's car they put them up for sealed bids. Seen  new cars  go for 1 to 4K  and only have 2k miles . Had friend pick up a nice 2003 mustang  5 k miles for 1500 bid.

But if you buy used car to a CARFAX its free on internet. Do this before you buy can save your money from being lost..............

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
Re: What car should i get?
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2004, 10:46:25 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I just got my drivers' licence today, and i have $7,000 somewhere in my room :D

My question is what car should i get? used Hondas, Toyotas, or Ford?

Ford pickup mid 70s or earlier, around $800 -$900 save rest of your $$$ for when you move or emergencies. upside you'll have something to haul your stuff when you move.

if you do get a pickup truck, remb this rule if nothing else. keep the bed clean, and I mean clean, sweep, wash etc. let nothing stay in bed more than a couple days. prevents rusting.

if these already been said etc sorry didn't bother read much after this post.

Good Luck

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2004, 11:12:25 PM »
Use your imagination.  All these and more are on Ebay for <7k

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2004, 07:46:10 AM »
twin turbo charged v8 intercooled.  you mean aftercooled.  inter cooler goes between turbos and superchager.  
 daily ride is 1994 peterbilt 379 3412 cat v12 twin turbo air to air aftercooler 1100hp. first trans is 18speed second trans 4speed overdrive rear end 3.55.  3mpg.  but back to your car.  watch silver streak. then get the jag.  7k get you a good one in las vegas.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2004, 08:01:58 AM »
JAB I bought the Lincloln for several reasons.  I needed a big luxury cruiser and it had to be rear wheel drive.   I had thought Impala SS but... I really didn't need another hot rod.   I knew it was not gonna get driven much.   My son was a limo driver in his off time a few years ago and he is also a mechanic.   He told me that the Lincolns were extremely reliable.   the cadilacs have really spotty reputations.   The town car has a full frame under it an is actually a pretty nice car.   Hard to find a good used one tho for a decent price..  No way could I have gotten an impala with all the luxo stuff as the Lincoln for anything close to the price.

lazs

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
What car should i get?
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »
Funked~

The thought occured to me that a LOT of people make fun of and refuse to buy the classic American auto due to large size and unspectacular handling.   The most common comment I get on the Buick is that I have an "old man's car" and not something a younger person would want.  Yet, many of these same people go out and buy SUV's, which are typically large and handle so horribly they make my Buick seem like a Porche in comparison.  Well....except they handle badly AND ride badly too, the worst of both worlds.

Doesn't it seem a bit ironic?   That the vehicle once villified as outdated and out of place in the modern world....is actually a more efficient and logical choice than it's apparent successor?

I still view SUV's as nothing more than jacked-up station wagons with pre-packaged "attitude" and without the wood sides.  Countrary to the popular trend, I think of SUV's as ideal old people's cars because the height makes it easier to get in for an older individual.

J_A_B