Author Topic: Plz correct me if I'm wrong....  (Read 372 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Plz correct me if I'm wrong....
« on: January 08, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
...and I'm sure you will   , but don't perk points simply reward the pilots who need them the least?

[This message has been edited by aztec (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Seems your confusing what the actual benefits of the perk system is, thinking it's only to give high point player better aircraft. That's not what its all about.

I don't think they are as much about "rewarding" someone, as they are to try and balance out the MA by giving people incentive to fly say a LA5, rather than a Chog every mission. Thats a good thing.

Also, it will supposably allow introduction of diffrent late war fighters, in a non-balance destroying fashion. That in fact "rewards" everyone by allowing more cool features.

Will that be worth having to put up with people crying and pissing, and moaning?

I suppose, cuz if its not cannon, FM, padlock, not enough of one country planeset, gangbanging, killstealing, cheating, muteing, hardware requirments, etc... it will be the next game change, in this case a new perk system, that is whined about. (remember the Osti? holy....!)

If it makes you feel better, I think some of the higher scoring pilots are going to cash in on their perk, only drive themselves nuts running around at 35K in their Dora staying outta any possible perk losing dogfights.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
I guess I am confused creamo.

After reading the post about how many perk points some people were racking up, it seems that for the most part the more capable planes will largely be in the hands of the more capable pilots.

It looks to me as though this will result in *more* disparity not less.  

Of course my feelings are from the viewpont of an, <ahem> less than outstanding pilot  

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Aztec,

You are not the only player with that feeling. While Creamo has some good points about perks limiting the number of perk planes in the MA, the ones who are the best gamers WILL be the ones with the most perk points. If you have to drop to a "low performance" plane to gain perk points at a rapid rate, only those who have the game nailed will excel at gaining the perks. Thus, as you and I fear, the best will be rewarded for being the best. The ones who really don't need the additional abilities afforded by the perk planes will get them the most.

There might be a mitigating factor where the perk planes will be hunted more by non perk pilots. Frankly if there is a significant performance difference (like the 262) the hunt will only work if the perk pilot dives into a furball and throws his E away. Only the most foolish will dump their perk points into a plane and try to take off from a capped field in a gangbang situation.

All of this is simply speculation at this point as there are no perk planes in the game unless you want to count the chog. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I sincerely hope you and I are wrong in our perceptions.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
even when they do get the perk plane it has to get shot down or miff-landed eventually then the whole thing starts over and mr.perfectscore is back up in the 202 and prob not much of a threat

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
Well, I have racked up a whopping 104 fighter perk points, compared to say someone else that has 400 - 600. Even heard someone had 1600?!

Obviously, many other players will have these shiny new planes unlike us, but I really don't foresee them cleaning up on me any more than usual. Do you really think you will be cleaned up by Hblair in a Dora, much worse than he would in any other 190 or 109? Especially when it's drawing the attention of the entire FDB squad?!

Matter fact, if the top players play 8 hours a day, that's 8 hours they will be in a low perk point scoring perk ride (drastically less points for killing in it) and that much more chance to lose the points if they get it shot out from under them.

See what I mean?

I see no late war fighter that will be a F16. Again, just furball and have a blast, look up at the guys circling at 35K in their perk planes, laugh at them, and then keep having fun.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
FYI, the guy with 1600+ perk points is a squaddie of mine, and his K/D ratio is less than 1 to 1.

You're missing the point on how to acquire perk points, if you think its hovering at 35k waiting to jump unsuspecting fighters for 8 hours a day, then you need a VMF-323 Strat lesson.  

------------------

~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons
If you cannot do something well,
learn to enjoy doing it poorly!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
Oh brother...

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Some interesting points creamo and your right...a good pilot in a 202 or any plane for that matter, can and does hand me my bellybutton no matter what I'm flying. Thx for your thougts, aztec

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
I think from my perception of the perk system, once one of these experten start flying a perk plane and stay strictly to A-A his perk points will not increase much due to the low value of points they will acquire for kills.

AKskurj

-towd_

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
but he wont need um is the point they are making . they will eternaly have perked planes . bad things man bad things more domination less nubys stayin as squades play the vulch card 24/7 for perk points , hell they do it now just for points .

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Towd? Nothing personal, but do you type with your toes or something?  

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2001, 05:14:00 AM »
I guess I also feel that for those who don't have as much time to fly (and aquire points), their money isn't buying the same game.

Nevermind...didn't realize this point had been argued pretty much to death in a previuos thread  

[This message has been edited by aztec (edited 01-09-2001).]

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2001, 07:02:00 AM »

FYI, the guy with 1600+ perk points is a squaddie of mine, and his K/D ratio is less than 1 to 1.

I guess I also feel that for those who don't have as much time to fly (and aquire points), their money isn't buying the same game

Thats what I dont like of the perk-system. The 10-hours-a-day-guys racking points: take-off, kill, die, take-off, kill, kill, die ...

Anyway, lets wait and see.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2001, 07:31:00 AM »
I don't play the game that much compared to some either.  I'd be lucky to get 8 hours a week most times in the MA.  However, although I will have fewer perk points than some other folks, I won't have as much time to spend them either.    A perk every week or two will do me just fine.

Lets wait and see how this works out.  I'm betting that as a percentage of my online time, I get to fly perks more than the point weenies do.  Pyro will make sure that pilots will be able to afford a perk or two during a tour by virtue of logging in I believe.  All he has to do is start folks out with a reasonable ammount of points per tour.  I think it is going to work out pretty well.  They'll have to tune it I'm sure, but it's a good idea IMHO.

I'm looking forward to my P-47N.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"