Author Topic: Back in the game & I like it?  (Read 701 times)

Offline rv6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.aircombatusa.com/AC_Testimonial.htm#James
Back in the game & I like it?
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:02:44 AM »
Went from a somewhat addictive 4~6hrs a day in AH1, to 0 hrs & took the summer off, when AH2 hardware req. did me in.

Gave my "computer guy" the specs for AH2 (+ $$$), and just last week, got a new "box".

Tweaked the graphics up MAX Detail on all, hi-res, and voila~  The sim is smooth as ice-cream, with frame rates between 40~60!

And the graphics!  On my 21" crt, is like taking off from any standard, FBO airfield.  The fuel tanks actually glisten in the sunlight.

From about 600' agl over a base, it LOOKS JUST LIKE A BASE! (I've flown over a few for real).  In hi-res, a countrymens' airplane, in formation, LOOKS LIKE REAL!  An engagement, looks like color footage from real WWII gun cams!

Flying a real plane wings level from place to place is boring!  Lining a bug splat on windscreen up with the tail of another 172 Skyhawk in the downwind, and pushing the PTT button, saying "rat-tat-tat" just don't do it.  AH2, on a big wide CRT and 3D sound system does!  (at $15 per hr, instead of $80+ per)

And yet, I just read endless page after page of "I QUIT!",, "THIS SUCKS!" ,, "HOW DARE U LIMIT MY PLANE TYPES!" ,, type posts?

My good gawd.  Who cares!  Anybody out there recall the GEnie AW days?  $6 per credit card hr, and the planes displayed in EGA, looked like little black plus signs? haahahaaa!!

I'll take a Curtiss bi-plane up,, for the vicarious thrill of being able to shoot at another aircraft in flight, virtually piloted by another human being,, over any "out of box AI" sim, anyday!

Best wishes to all

RV6

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:17:55 AM »
Welcome back, RV6.

I wish there were more with your attitude. We need about 3000 RV6 clones to compensate for the hard core of selfishness currently being exhibited on this board.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:25:52 AM »
I agree completely, rv6 - I think this game is still great.  Not had as much time to play recently but will never leave.  Welcome back.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 06:27:03 AM »
I guess if we like AH2, we must be weird.  I admit that it still needs some polishing but so did AH1 when it was out.  At least with HT, we know there will be constant work done on this game and I for one am satisfied with what I've seen so far.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
Good post RV6!

I like this positive stuff, so... refreshing.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:05 AM »
Welcome back RV6,
Any chance of some DNA to clone you as mentioned earlier.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 07:59:24 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Any chance of some DNA
:lol :aok

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 08:04:26 AM »
Any of us oldies remember playing flight sims with black and white wireframe graphics? Used to think they were the biz, lol.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:44:52 AM »
One of the best posts I've read in the last couple months.:aok
 I to am tired of the waaa waaa waaa sniffle sniffle attitude of so many of these posts l8ly.
  And yes I do remember the old flight sims, I started out on FS version whatever on a C64 back when it was an all monotone green landscape with a white grid and the nmy planes looked like sideways H's. I never played AW online but I do have a copy of V1.5 on cd right next to me that I used to play over a null modem connection with my brother. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 08:50:58 AM »
my puter died and I had to get all new controls and such and... life got busy... haven't even tried out the new controls yet... been a month or two..

not looking forward to the horde and the building battlers and the.... guys who must have the best plane in the game.

lazs

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:42:13 AM »
Good post rv6. Welcome back, and I wish you many happy hours in the virtual skies.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 10:10:58 AM »
Hiya rv6,

There's still a lot of us who aren't throwing temper tantrums and aren't leaving.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 10:47:52 AM »
Great to have you back rv6!

I know exactly how you feel. I took advantage of Fry's Labor Day weekend sale to pick up all new pieces and build a box that rocks. Like you I have all my sliders full left, what a difference from my old system. Last night I went for the ultimate max by switching to the 1024 textures and 1600x1200 res. The game was beautiful. However the 1024 textures caused an occasional screen micro freeze, so now I've switched back to 512.

All I can say is if you're stiil using a lower end system, when you finally upgrade you won't believe the difference. AH II is a great game.

Here's what it cost me:
Antec mid tower w/350 watt PS, sale + rebate price: $  69
AMD Athlon 64 3200 plus MSI K8N Neo mobo            :$ 169
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro                                                 :$ 199
2 x 512 Corsair Value Ram                                         :$ 180
SB Audigy (not Audigy2)                                             :$   59
Sony Floppy                                                                :$   14
Mitsumi CD-RW                                                           :$   39
Maxtor 80 GB HD 8 mb cache                                      :$  59

Total                                                                            :$ 788

I put off the new box build for as long as I could stand it. Now I'm completely satisfied with my new system and the and the way the game runs.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 11:10:49 AM »
Any of us oldies remember playing flight sims with black and white wireframe graphics? Used to think they were the biz, lol.

LOL, I remember those.  There was one I used to play on the old Apple II+ that was just the green and black screen.

Part of it was  WWI air combat.  No matter what you did, it was always a head on shot.  You could not get on the guys tail.

Seems like a long time ago :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 11:18:23 AM »

I remember the very first Microsoft Flight Simulator for the PC - all the planes were like "not equal signs" to represent bi-planes, and they were always either coming straight at you or straight away from you. Black & White (Green & WHite?), no such thing as a joy stick.....
When I think back to the hours I put in on that thinking how cool it was (it beat the crap out of playing PONG on the Atari IMHO...), I wonder if anybody cold of envisioned what we hhave available today.  Then, just think what it'll be like in another 25 years or so...!