Author Topic: GV hit sprites not visible  (Read 256 times)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
GV hit sprites not visible
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:26:01 AM »
Was in the CT yesterday in an M8 shooting at an M16 and the hits where going through the GV and you could see the plume of dirt come up through the GV. The damage did register so I could kill the M16 but there were never any hit sprites on the GV itself.

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 08:12:50 AM »
There are some explanations to this. There has been a graphic bug in AH1 and 2 for a long time. If you shoot at Gvs at long distance, sometimes the kicked up dust from a missed shot will show up INFRONT of the vehicle, even if your shot is long. This makes it very hard to judge if your shots are long or short. If you are using HE-rounds, even a near miss will damage the target vehicle, especially if it is "soft", like a M16 or M3 (making HE the preferable round to engage those targets with).
So possibly you were just missing the target, but still damaging it from the near miss.
I have, however, also seen AP-shots glance of an M3 or M16. There are also accounts of AP-shots going THROUGH an M3 or M16 without doing much damage, i.e. passing through a soft part, just punching a small hole, and getting out on the other side (kicking up dust). With the current level of rudimentary accuracy regarding the effects of different ammuntions and armors on vehicles I strongly doubt that this would be modeled, however.

Litjan

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »
sadly I wasn't filming but the m16 did get close enough that I could see the dust plume come up through the middle of the vehicle with no visible hit sprite. I was using HE rounds btw. I realize that without film it's just an anecdotal account but the m16 did get close enough that I could use the crosshair without much elevation to give you an idea of how close he was.