Author Topic: Question about the ENY  (Read 639 times)

Offline RacrX

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motrx
Question about the ENY
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 10:17:52 AM »
I have had no problems with the ENY lockdown system (being a Knight) until yesterday. First the LA-7 and Pony and Spit 9 went away, mildly annoying at first. Then the Spit 5 got locked down and that was surprising. I think it got as high as 18 last night for a few minutes!
But overall I can understand some peoples frustration. I would suggest limiting flights from particular fields over the ENY system but I am sure thats been shot down already..

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Question about the ENY
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 10:20:48 AM »
Yeah RacrX, had the same as Bish, but we did have a big numerical advantage so no real probs, I just grabbed a different plane.
I believe the field system was discussed and discarded because of moving fronts, probs with HQ etc. Plus whats the difference between a low ENV plane at 25k from a field 25 miles away and one from a field 50 miles away? None, once the conveyor belt is in full swing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 10:23:26 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Question about the ENY
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 10:31:45 AM »
I am fully aware some lose touch with the reality that this is a game, and therefore lose sight of the relavance of fundamental game concepts like  "score or balanced numbers or a fair fight".   I find it scarey that anyone takes a game, any game, to mean anything "more" to them than that.  

That is not meant as a cut down or anything like that, I am being 100% serious - it is not "normal" or healthy behavior.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Question about the ENY
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 10:51:20 AM »
There are 3 conflicting loyalties involved:

1) your close friends (squad),
2) a larger group of friends (country) and
3) the game itself.

I believe if you give all 3 a really close look and think, it will be evident that #3 is the only choice that preserves the life of the other two.

Our squad has had a continuous existence since 1992.  If our Aces High squadron fails, well, we would have to find another flight sim.  Out of sheer curiosity, I have looked and there are no MMP sims that approach AH in overall quality.  

Therefore, it makes sense for our squadron to make choices which benefit the sim first rather than self-serving decisions which benefit the squad or the country for the short run.

We are currently Knights (and have no plans to change in the immediate future.)  Having spent the last two years as Bishop, I can faithfully report I still have Bishop friends.  We gossip back and forth and do all the things that make community involvement a worthwhile endeavor.

A failure to make choices which benefit the sim is very short sighted.

All of this eny value (necessary) crap will go away when squads start making rational decisions about the future and stop crying that their favorite chew toy now has a bitter flavor.

curly

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Question about the ENY
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Still wouldn't appease the 'I want to fly what I like WHENEVER I want to' brigade.
In effect your still limiting the plane its just based on different criteria. In fact I blelieve if this was ever implemented you'd be waiting a lot longer than 5 -10 mins. e.g. if you base the limit on the current ENV limit, most still wouldn't 10 -15 mins to get one. (10-15 based on what the average ENV limit seem to be)
Maybe reducing the switch time from the current 6 hours would help?

Why would we have to base the limit on the current ENY limit?  I think many, if not most, people will agree that the ENY system is a rough draft that could use a revision or two.

Ok, so far what I interpret BlackSheep's original idea is this:

1.  If, and Only If, your side possesses a sizeable numerical advantage at the time, anyone and everyone can STILL fly WHATEVER plane they want, IMMEDIATELY, ONCE .  

2.  If they manage to land it, (or even possibly ditch it close to home), they can take it out again, immediately.

3.  If they die, crash, or are forced to bail out, then they can still fly that plane, but they are required to wait a short period to reup it.  This period really doesn't have to be any more than 5 minutes.

4.  If they did die, crash, or bail from a certain plane, they are still more than welcome to take a different plane, even if the difference is between an La7 and Pony, for their next sortie, immediately.

This would certainly seem to beat the current situation where somone can be deprived of their favorite ride the ENTIRE time they're on for the night (some people don't get to fly as much as I do, some people only do get half an hour, and a pony is one of those planes that can definately be unavailable for their entire nights' AH enjoyment time - which, bottom line, just isn't cool).

I really hope others can add on to how this might work, and offer constructive ideas, forsight, and concerns.  I sincerely hope that this thread is not hijacked into a "switch countries already".

And BlackSheep, if I was misinterpreting some or all of your ideas, please let me know and elaborate on yours.  

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Question about the ENY
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 11:32:46 AM »
Originally posted by Zanth
I am fully aware some lose touch with the reality that this is a game, and therefore lose sight of the relavance of fundamental game concepts like  "score or balanced numbers or a fair fight".   I find it scarey that anyone takes a game, any game, to mean anything "more" to them than that.  

That is not meant as a cut down or anything like that, I am being 100% serious - it is not "normal" or healthy behavior.

Then why are you arguing the point? Obviously, this "game" means enough to you to take extra time out of your day, read through all these posts and then reply with your own thoughts and ideas as to what you think is right.

Why should I or anyone be forced to switch countries because I want to fly a certain plane? If the P-51D got locked because I, ME, MYSELF, ALONE did something to loose it (like crashed it into the ground, got shot down, etc.) then I can deal with the loss.

However, I find it absurd to loose it just because a bunch of other players logged in and happened to be in the same country as I am. So basically, what I am saying is.... Quit logging in to play AH! You're ruining MY fun!

The current ENY system is not player controllable, and that is the real issue to me. What if I switch sides (to fly the P-51D) and then the side I switched to all the sudden has more poeple log in (for squad night or whatever) Now I am stuck until the country switch timer expires? That's BS, I'll log out.

Put aircraft availabilty into the player's hands so they can make things happen or not happen for themselves.