Author Topic: Alright Spit dweebs, speack up  (Read 284 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Alright Spit dweebs, speack up
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:23:47 AM »
Twice in the last two days I managed to stal a SpitV, at the top of a loop.  I ended up upside down floating slowly to the grownd and nothing I did could recover it.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a way to recover from that situation?  I even tried moving the beer case towards the nose to make it havier but it did not nose down.

Sudgestions please :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:23:13 AM »
Are you using a lot of rudder inputs at the top of your loop?  There used to be a nice move you could do in AH1 where you'd get really slow and then yaw over... it would basically kick your back end out into a slide as you stalled down onto someone.  You can't do that in AH2 however, and if you try it'll put you into that floating stall/spin thingy you described.

I've only gotten out of it once.  I wound up having to turn off the engine and try as hard as possible to push the nose straight down.  Mostly you can just expect to die.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Re: Alright Spit dweebs, speack up
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:23:30 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Twice in the last two days I managed to stal a SpitV, at the top of a loop.  I ended up upside down floating slowly to the grownd and nothing I did could recover it.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a way to recover from that situation?  I even tried moving the beer case towards the nose to make it havier but it did not nose down.

Sudgestions please :D

Possible recoveries:

1. Maintain entry airspeed high enough not to stall.

2. lower flaps, gear, try full delflection of all controls, pulse the throttle, whatever will get enough airflow over a control surface to get roll, pitch or yaw, but mostly, follow the 3 rules for flying a P-51...

Rule 1. Don't go too slow.
     Rule 2. Don't go too slow.
     Rule 3. Don't go too slow.

BTW, I have a friend who flies an F8F ( in real life ).  He was discussing aerobatics and mentioned that one of the critical check list items in the airplane is: when looping, at the top when inverted, check your airspeed. If 108 knots or less, pull through. If 109 knots or higher, roll out, you accelerate too fast to pull out ( before you hit the ground ).

Sometimes you just get outside the envelope and there is nothing you can do. The answer is "Don't do that!"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:40:56 PM »
Thanx guys.  I happens when very slow with another plane trying to lift its nose to get a shot at me.  Once I see him falling off, I try to loop over or if too slow use the rader.  I think using the ruder got me in that situation.  Another question is, if pussing full throttle on the grownd can flip your plane over, how come it cannot do it in that situation also.?

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
Quit drinking the beer before you try to use it as a weight, everyone knows that it takes a full case of beer (that means the beer is still in the bottles) to keep you looping without stalling. Your thought of, I'll just drink one bottle and put it back, pssft,  your 12oz short of making a full loop without that stall thingy.   lmao!!  ok?  thats whats happening!       another pilot saved from stalling..  i feel good!!!  hehehohohaha..

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 09:15:35 AM »
Originally posted by tactic
Quit drinking the beer before you try to use it as a weight, everyone knows that it takes a full case of beer (that means the beer is still in the bottles) to keep you looping without stalling. Your thought of, I'll just drink one bottle and put it back, pssft,  your 12oz short of making a full loop without that stall thingy.   lmao!!  ok?  thats whats happening!       another pilot saved from stalling..  i feel good!!!  hehehohohaha..

Thanx for your help.  I found the problem.  I was only using a six pack.  Tried last night with 24 pack and did not have the problem.  However, the plane did not turn as good as it used to