Author Topic: For those that remembered I live in Pensacola...  (Read 208 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
For those that remembered I live in Pensacola...
« on: September 20, 2004, 08:06:27 AM »
I got my power back on last night.  My house made it through Ivan with flying colors.  Only house damage was two of the pillars that hold up the front porch were pushed in 2 inches or so, and the shed was lost (it was here when I bought the house, and I never used it so no real personal loss there.)   Lost my smaller trees that provided shade to my AC unit and my kitchen window.  An old wooden fence between my neighbor and me went down as well.

I've got everything back working at the house except that I don't think they've lifted the "boil water" order yet.  Hopefully soon on that, but I've still got plenty of pre hurricane water, and of course can boil it now that I have power.  Gas water heater, so I had hot water the whole time, but electric cook top and oven, so no boiling capabilities.  (no grill either!  shame on me for living in Florida and not having a grill, but I wanted my DLP TV more than a grill!)

For the few non-Mongrels that might have been looking forward to meeting me at the Con...  Sorry, but can't make it now.  I've had to use up the vacation time set aside for the Con as I'm gonna miss almost 40 hrs of work for the storm, and we either take vacation time or unpaid leave.  I can't afford not to get paid.  Also, the airport is closed for probably two weeks so I couldn't have flown out anyways.  :p

anyways, the Mongrels were extremely worried about me, so I figured a few non-Mongrels probably were too.  Just wanted you all to know I'm doing really well considering the circumstances.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 08:24:08 AM by Nifty »
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 08:19:35 AM »
Glad to hear you and your stuff made it thru. Did you do your Lieutenant Dan impersonation?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 08:22:43 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 08:29:56 AM »
LOL.  Fortunately I didn't do that.  We learned awhile back not to taunt hurricanes.  In 1995, Erin was supposed to pass south of us and go up into Mississippi and Louisiana.  About 2 am, my friend who had a little bit to drink decided to start taunting Erin.  He called her all sorts of nasty names, said "you ain't got s*** on us, b****!", and dared her to come after him.

Well, Erin turned north sooner than expected and came right across Pensacola.  When she left, she put a pine tree on my friend's house and uprooted a small oak in his front yard.  She was nice enough not to put the pine through his roof, but just laid it across the roof as to say "I coulda really kicked your ass, but I was feeling kinda nice so I let ya off easy."

So when the 100mph sustained winds were going across my house, and the gusts of who knows how strong were making awful sounds I didn't taunt mean ol' Ivan.  I just huddled in my hallway hoping that the terrible wood creaking sounds I heard wasn't my roof about to come off.   :(
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:20:10 AM »
How chitty is that that you have to take vacation time or leave without pay??????

I guess that's one thing good about govt work If I'm restrictd from doing my job for no fault of my own I still get paid. (<--when I was a civ of cours)  Now I work all the time and get paid the same no matter what.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 12:55:20 PM »
Glad you did not have anything major happen to you. Looked like a really nasty storm when it was hitting you.