Author Topic: Rather acknowledges--there are serious questions about the authenticity of the docs  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Politics/Vote2004/staudt_bush_040917-1.htmlRetired Col. Walter Staudt, who was brigadier general of Bush's unit in Texas, interviewed Bush for the Guard position and retired in March 1972. He was mentioned in one of the memos allegedly written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian as having pressured Killian to assist Bush, though Bush supposedly was not meeting Guard standards.

"I never pressured anybody about George Bush because I had no reason to," Staudt told ABC News in his first interview since the documents were made public.

The memo stated that "Staudt is pushing to sugar coat" a review of Bush's performance.

As Jon Stewart reported on the Daily Show, among some of the unanswered questions Dan Rather referred to about these memos is "Why the f#$% didn't you check out these memos before you broadcast them?"
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
Fun to go back and read this now that CBS is about to admit the papers were forged.

Anyone want any hot sauce with their order of crow?

I think the Clintons are the responsible party,

She wants 2008

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Originally posted by Scootter
Fun to go back and read this now that CBS is about to admit the papers were forged.

Anyone want any hot sauce with their order of crow?

I think the Clintons are the responsible party,

She wants 2008
The real question is, will Dan admit his error?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Was watching Fox News this morning. Col Killian's immediate superior during this period was interviewed. Basically he said that Bush was an exemplary officer and that he was sure the documents were bogus as well as their content. He even said that there were ANG in Vietnam and that Bush had volunteered to go. He said Bush wasn't sent as they wanted more experienced pilots.

This fraudulent attempt to discredit Bush's service has already backfired but may be far more costly to the Democrats than anyone imagined.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Ya know CBS was all over it when former Texas Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes claimed he helped Bush get into the ANG. Did they ever mention his daughter's rebutal? That seems like a newsworthy story to me.

CBS has proven their bias beyond all argument. It was a fun ride but the fantasy of media objectivity has been dispelled.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 10:40:07 AM by AKIron »

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
It's nice to know that if I ever decide to run for president that I'll be able to learn about things I did in high school and in college, regardless of if I did them or not. Sounds like a fun learning opportunity.

Never understood why something that happened 30 years ago is at the forefront of the elections. Must be new campaign tactics. I wasn't even around for Vietnam...why should I care if the canidates were there, either?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Guess this is as close to an admission of lying to the public as we're gonna get. I think the "good faith" part is particularly smelly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/20/politics/main644546.shtml