Author Topic: AH II Freezes at startup  (Read 1312 times)

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 04:52:08 PM »
Ok so how do I downgrade to DX 9.0b?  It's my only option.

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 06:46:12 PM »
Well, I've givin up.  Just completley uninstalled direct x and fresh install of dx 9.0b and it still will freeze both at the DX tests and AH II.  I can't think of anything else I haven't tried already.  The strange thing is, I've never had this problem before installing DX 9.0c but I uninstalled it and tryed DX 9.0b and still will not work.  If anyone can think of anything let me know please.

thanks for helping

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 10:49:38 PM »
Did you try removing your video drivers, rebooting, then reinstalling them?

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2004, 11:35:43 PM »
yep and just tryed version 9.0 and it doesn't work either.  Im totally confused as to what it could be.  I've done practically everything.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 12:15:13 AM »
you need direct x version 9.0b ... thats the only one that works correctly on all my pc's (I have 5 of them) i just tried 9.0c on my newest pc and it crashed the game ... white screen then ctd .

luckly i have my old trusty gamer still (ive had 3 decent offers for it too .. )

anouther question how did you unistall direct x ??? Ive never ever ever ... been able to uninstall direct x and go back to a previous version without reformating .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 12:50:47 AM »
Good news!  It seems my geforce 3 card doesn't likehe new set of nvidia drivers.  So i tryed an old detonator and I can run the direct x tests smooth and perfect.  But now AH II CTDS at the white screen instead of completley locking up.

I uninstalled direct x with a program called "DirectX Happy uninstall V1.2"  real easy to use.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:54:14 AM by madness »

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 09:39:10 PM »
Well can anyone help me solve my white screen CTD problem now that my directX is fixed?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2004, 09:57:09 PM »
Check for IRQ conflicts.

By the way, I"m using DX 9.0c.

I haven't had any problems with it thus far.

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2004, 02:00:42 AM »
Hmm nothing wrong with IRQ. I don't understand where the problem lies here, all other games now run great.

And also can anyone help me fix the film viewer?  When ever I open it up I get the a white screen that looks like its about to load up the textures but then it gives me an illegal operation.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 02:40:44 PM »
I was having similar problems.  I didnt have IRQ conflicts, but had several that were shared multiple times over.  Since I had gone over everything else, after reading the sticky on IRQs I upgraded my MOBO to one that gave me some control over assigned IRQs, and upgraded my OS to WinXP from my good old 98se (in a dual boot setup).  I tried it first with just the MOBO upgrade still using 98, and still couldnt get rid of the stacked IRQs on my hardware completely.  Tried it with the XP setup, and all problems went away.  

HTC found the one thing that could make me upgrade to WinXP lol.  Take away my flying time for a couple months and I get crazy.

NVIDIA nForce MOBO
Athalon XP1800+ @ ~1.54 ghz
NVIDIA 5900 128MB 8x AGP
512MB 2700 RAM
WinXP w/SP1 and Win98se dual boot
DX9.0c

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 09:18:46 AM »
Use System Retore in Windows XP to a time prior to installing the new DX and it will (in effect) uninstall the new DX version.

Offline madness

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 12:28:01 AM »
No irq being shared irq is fine.  Still doesn't work bout to cancel account and quit.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 03:03:49 AM »
I understand how you feel man, game was unplayable for me from the time AHII came out until just the other day.  I cussed and pulled out plenty of hair.  Finally I had to face facts that no matter how many guys are lucky enough to get by with old systems and video cards, I aint one of em.  A new MOBO, new power supply, new video card and a new OS later, I can play with good frame rates and no problems.  The new processor thats on the way should help even more.  Main reason it took me so long to get the game playable was I didnt have the money for all these things and had to stretch out the purchases; and still, I've done without other stuff to get my upgrades.  But it was worth it to me.  Maybe you can find a way to get by with what you have.  My guess is though, you are hitting the end of the road where software and hardware are going to be compatible and your games still be playable.  I found alot of good advice in different posts on this BB, and found more on other BBs until I had a good picture of what I needed to do.  I suggest you do the same and start drawing a picture of what you are going to have to replace.  You can get frustrated and quit, like I swore I would do a hundred times.  But at the end you are still going to have the same computer and same hardware you have now, which is only going to get more dated with time and be less compatible with new software.

I wish there had been a cheap and easy fix for my problems that would have kept me flying, even if I had to give up alot in the graphics and frame rates for a few months until I could afford the upgrades better.  There wasnt.  Best of luck to you in your efforts.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 02:52:13 PM »
Zero problems with SP2 and DX 9c, but let us know if you find a video driver that works for you.  I still need to get AH2 set up on my Guam machine that has a Gforce 4 4400.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline 2point6

• Zinc Member
AH II Freezes at startup
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 08:47:04 PM »
Originally posted by madness
LOL, ok so I installed directx 8.1b to see if that would work now when I try and start AH it says my video card(Geforce 3 64mb)does not support hardware T&L???

i get the same thing this sucks... i played AH1 for a long time now this...

i have ati radeon 7000 64mb... and i know this should work becaus ei play all games with this card... please help

system spec....

1000mhz celeron
WIN XP PRO
512mb Ram

direct x 9.0c