Author Topic: GV's WAY too strong.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2004, 07:56:28 AM »
I took a Yak up against a panzer that was trying to vulch our VH in AH1 once. I hit him in the rear, top and sides at least a dozen times firing ONLY the 37mm before his pintle gun got me in the forehead. I re-upped and completely unloaded the 37mm into him again only taking a few pings from the pintle. There must have been 30-40 hits on him from the 37mm and he wasn't even smoking.  Most of these hits were from point blank range (100 meters). I just ignore the GVs any more, they are a distraction to me.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2004, 08:01:28 AM »
Originally posted by Edbert MOL
I took a Yak up against a panzer that was trying to vulch our VH in AH1 once. I hit him in the rear, top and sides at least a dozen times firing ONLY the 37mm before his pintle gun got me in the forehead. I re-upped and completely unloaded the 37mm into him again only taking a few pings from the pintle. There must have been 30-40 hits on him from the 37mm and he wasn't even smoking.  Most of these hits were from point blank range (100 meters). I just ignore the GVs any more, they are a distraction to me.

Not surprising at all,the yak 37mm is loaded with HE.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »
Kweassa, if what I know should work, and what you say does work, actually did seem to work, I wouldn't be in this thread.

I still think the risk-reward is skewed in favor of GV's.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2004, 09:57:53 PM »
I still think the risk-reward is skewed in favor of GV's.

Which side you play for? Do you ever use GVs yourself?

I know you don't like to tell others your game ID, so I suggest this. When you see me online, try a Panzer assault with no AA vehicles and air cover at the base I'm operating out of.

I love flying IL-2s. I've recently discovered from Innominate's career stats that my second largest of number of kills in a plane type was in an IL-2 against Panzers. The chances are if there's an armoured assault going on somewhere, I'll be there to break it.

So, get in a Panzer and drive to my base when you see me online, and see if the "risk-reward factor is skewed".

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Which side you play for? Do you ever use GVs yourself? ... I love flying IL-2s. ...

Rook. Yes. So do I.

This is not about my personal score. I'm talking more about what I see going on every night when GV's are in the area.

One big problem is that there's no way to practice this offline. I've read where the Hurri IID flyers in N. Afrika went out on training missions to plink away at burned out Panzers ... just to get the feel for the guns, the attack approach, and where they could penetrate.

-DoK

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2004, 04:32:00 AM »
I think you should be able to customize your GV with diff rims & tires,  put a drop kit in and have different paint jobs.

The GV's are fine...............leave um alone

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2004, 07:31:20 AM »
Another good example - a huge Rook assault into A38 of the Trinity map. Initial assault caught us Bishops by surprise. The spawn point was less than 5 miles away from the field.

Some 6~7 Panzers were on the way to the field, at least 2~3 already near the field. However, the fatal mistake proved to be that they had no air support at all, and there was only one AA vehicle around.

My first sortie in the IL-2, I was shot down by an Osty I didn't see. Realizing that these 9~10 Panzers were too much for me to handle, I called in my squaddies to support.

A group of 4~5 IL-2s took off from the field, and during the next 4~5 minutes decimated the whole armoured column. The Rook armoured assault did not give up, and sent more vehicles spawning to the field. However, by this time our own GV drivers arrived to A38 and formed a strong defensive line around the field.

The IL-2s kept cutting down their tanks, and slowly but firmly our own tanks pushed them back to their spawn. Only when the Rooks realized that they needed corresponding air support, and sent lots of jabos to A38, did the tides turned.

A huge furball formed, both on the ground and in the air. But in the end, the Bish held A38.

Perfect example of how an independant GV assault without any air support, avails naught.

Another ironical example: right after the battle of A38, our squaddies gathered around and spawned to capture V7 with tanks. Total 7 of us began the attack. Only two enemies were guarding V7 in tanks - they hid themselves well, and knocked us down one by one.

In the end, an organized assult of 3xJu87Ds, 1x IL-2 and 2x Pzr.4, 1xM3 - is what took V7. Two Ju87Ds killed all three VHs at the field, the other Ju87D destroyed the defending GV. The IL2 knocked down field acks, and then the Panzer and the M3 advanced.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2004, 11:25:38 AM »
Tanks should be almost immune to plane cannons. loosing a track or damaging the engine is the best you should hope for.

Bombs are another issue. What I think is wrong is that you can drop 250kg of explosives on it's head and it will just sit there in the crater. Not to mention that it should blow the gunners right out of the ostie's turret even if it only lands a few meter away.

another thing I think is wrong is that trees stop bombs from hitting tanks. they explod on the leaf canopy above the GV.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2004, 12:49:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm beginning to love the Hurri D.

But we need a way to spawn tanks offline and practice.

We also need the Ju87 with the 37mm ap's.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2004, 02:03:48 PM »
Well when I am in a GV 80% of the time I am killed right off, Bombs not even close and poof I'm dead. My Osti usually loses it turret with one pass from any plane. Then there are those rear times it seems a Nuke wouldn't even hurt me. GV model is not the greatest and can be very frustrating. So next time I am in a GV I will let you know so will can have an easy GV kill. :)

I think they should eliminate NME GV icons all together. Make it harder to spot them. This way you could use the trees and other things to your advantage. But that's just me.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
GV's WAY too strong.
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »
I like fly'n the IL-2,  it can take a lot of damage, and still stay up in the air.. I espically love it when I'm patrolling for ground targets, and someone sneaks down for an easy cherry pick and they find out that their 2-3 second burst only chiped the paint... :D

I've been thinking about trying out the hurr2d.  But have stayed away from it since I don't think it can absorb much damage.