Author Topic: Friendly Lock  (Read 759 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:33:07 AM »
AWC last night brought to my attention that Ctrl-Tab toggles something called "Friendly Lock."

What is it?  Or, better yet, what does it do?

- oldman

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Re: Friendly Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:12:06 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
AWC last night brought to my attention that Ctrl-Tab toggles something called "Friendly Lock."

What is it?  Or, better yet, what does it do?

- oldman

I think it lets you lock on to a freindly with the tab key, mostly for padlock view.

The only use I can think of for it is formation stunts.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 01:28:43 PM »
It is part of the padlock view system, F11 key.
In the Training Arena it also lets you use the LCG, lead computed gunsight, as a training tool for your primary and secondary gun.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline clouds

• Copper Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 05:13:47 PM »
Padlocking ?......Very nice argument to talking about even if unfortunately it isn't   usefull like it is right now.

I think it could be much better if every view changement could be done panning continuously (like using the mouse to change the views) and not discretely like instead it is now.

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 08:32:46 PM »
Blimey... friendly lock enables you to target a fellow countrymen so that in the unlikely event a con is in on them you can send a "check six".

Once friendly lock is establised contacts can be cycled.  Not sure if check sixes can be sent to the enemy though (but there's a thought).:D

ooops.. you're all vets.... hook so far in mouth it's almost coming out the other end.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:35:04 PM by Darkish »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »
Clouds, we do have instant, snap and pan views.

Snap Mode- The view quick-pans between each of your views.

Pan Mode- The view pans using the view keys.

Instant- Views shift instantly without the pan of the snap mode.

In preferences - views, there is a checkbox to use 'instant view' I believe.

Trainers have to accept 'hooks' graciously, we don't even look at the bait.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline clouds

• Copper Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 04:44:35 PM »
Hi fuze,

I knew how to use F7 -> F9 keys, I only said it could be usefull in a close dogfight  to use a padlock wiev that were panning continuously instead of making almost discrete views changements like in a snap padlock view.

On the type of "Falcon 4" padlock view to be precise, and could be usefull to have a cue on the direction of the lift vector while in padlock.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 05:52:41 PM »
OK cloulds, I understand. I have only flown one other WW2 sim before this one so all my padlock view experience was from that. Being WW2 ones, neither had very smart gunsights or padlocks being true to the times they represent.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 09:08:10 PM »
The best view is the one you use which allows you to never lose sight of the enmy plane. SOme folks like the pan view others like snap or instant.

Regarding padlock, it's not a WW2 type of viewing system. Regarding pan, I can move my eyes to look at something just about as fast as instant view. Whereas pan takes infinately longer than if you glanced or looked right on left to see which family member is walking past your computer right now :).
I suppose if your eyes moved about the same speed as pan then that would be realistic and acceptable.

Regards,
Ren

Offline clouds

• Copper Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 05:11:24 AM »
Hi,

I've never used pan views during a dogfight but.........like you can see, I was talking about pan view during padlocking and this is the best unconfusing view sistem for sure (if you wanna use padlock obviously).

I repeat, take a look at "Falcon 4" and you'll find your aswer.

Bye

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 08:27:44 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

Regarding padlock, it's not a WW2 type of viewing system.
Regards,
Ren

I meant in the WW2 sims that I've played and the gaming padlock view systems they have in game. Of course in real live they hopefully used that Mk1 Eyeball.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Friendly Lock
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 03:08:00 AM »
some super flying levi!

i fly just like you sir, with much less skill and experience ;)

like you, i think, my target is to have my nose always pointing at the bad guys more than just to evade their attacks.  your low S's and reversals are superb!

and when it comes to your aim, incredible!

thanks for sharing Levi and thanks for posting AKAK.

very educational!

most i ever got in a furball was 9. and i too died when bingo ammo.

if you ever have some spare time i would love a tutorial in the DA

batfink
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.