Author Topic: Radar Detector  (Read 1199 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Radar Detector
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2004, 02:01:11 AM »
PS
I have been in 5 accidents in ~18 years of driving.
Three took place at less than 5 mph.  Reversing, pulling out of a parking space, etc.  Two were my fault, but there was no damage in one case and only minor damage in the other case.
The other two accidents took place at ZERO mph.  In both cases I had stopped my car (either for a stop light or stopped traffic) and the person behind me failed to brake in a timely fashion.  Neither driver was speeding.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2004, 03:35:36 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Why? whats your point?

Why don't you and Gixer get off your little soap boxes and take some literacy lessons you pair of uneducated neanderthals.

So what did our glorious road-nazi's do to fix this stretch of road?

Vulcan,

Your attitude and comments are immature. Discussion about radar detectors turns into a rave and personal insults. Leaving you as the only neanderthal.

...-Gixer

Offline baders

• Zinc Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2004, 04:58:55 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Why? whats your point?

Why don't you and Gixer get off your little soap boxes and take some literacy lessons you pair of uneducated neanderthals.

Whatever dude..............just trying to introduce the very real result of speeding is all, you know, another perspective from EM Services side of things. No need to get abusive.

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Radar Detector
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2004, 09:10:10 AM »
I worked in Emergency Response for over 10 years, as a Tow Truck Driver. I have seen & cleaned up more fatal accidents then I care to remember.  

With that said, I want to say that a bad driver is a bad driver whether or not they choose to use a radar detector. The same goes for good drivers.  

SA is key. For me, where I live (between SF & Sacramento) the type of radar I can expect to come accross depends on where I'm driving. Inside the city limits of any of the towns in my area, you will find an extremely active revenue generating force of motorcycle cops armed with Radar. The cops in my town used to use on/off guns which I thought were tuff to detect. They just recently switched to a solid mounted unit which they can use while in motion.  

The CHP uses Lidar on I-80 in my area, but not very often at all. Most speed enforcement on I-80 between SF & Nevada is done by Visual, Either from cops hiding at onramps, or by aircraft(very very very popular east of Sac). The CHP uses Radar on rural hiways, but interstate enforcement is mostly Mk 1 eyeball.

I agree that radar is more commonly used to generate revenue than to promote safety.  I am a very safe driver, I use a detector, it has saved me a couple times, Its a Bel. I dont get alot of false alarms, & it picks up my local motor patrol well before my eyes do.
When driving on the highways I forget I have it, use my training & trust my instinct. If it goes off while im on the highway, I still slow down to find out why ;)

Anton

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2004, 10:44:12 AM »
I don't own a radar detector,but this thread is interesting to say the least.

I did a google search on blocking speed cameras and found this.Some interesting videos in the link,from news stations and one from Tech TV.

Edit:Couldn't get the link with the news reports to work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 10:52:58 AM by Sox62 »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2004, 03:29:56 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Vulcan,

Your attitude and comments are immature. Discussion about radar detectors turns into a rave and personal insults. Leaving you as the only neanderthal.

...-Gixer

Well thats what happens when people like you regurgitate rubbish you hear without putting any thought into things. You wandered into this thread, mouthed off about something you have no experience with, then changed the topic to acuse those who do know what they're talking about of being speeders and endangering lives etc.

Immature is wanting to whip out a soapbox on topics you don't have a clue about.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Vulcan,

...-Gixer

Well thats what happens when people like you regurgitate rubbish you hear without putting any thought into things. You wandered into this thread, mouthed off about something you have no experience with, then changed the topic to acuse those who do know what they're talking about of being speeders and endangering lives etc.

Immature is wanting to whip out a soapbox on topics you don't have a clue about.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Radar Detector
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2004, 03:31:14 PM »
Originally posted by baders
Whatever dude..............just trying to introduce the very real result of speeding is all, you know, another perspective from EM Services side of things. No need to get abusive.

Yeah well maybe you should actually read what people are writing instead of taking a soapbox trip on the BBS.