Author Topic: RW. A whole new world!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
RW. A whole new world!
« on: February 02, 2000, 10:59:00 AM »
Flew online for the first time using RW a few nights ago.  WOW!  Talk about a whole new world!  

It was only with 1 other pilot but created a major advantage in SA and the sense of realism.

If you have it, attempt to use it anytime you can.  If you don't have it, I suggest you get it and give it a try.

The other pilot(s) letting you know their action, their location, 6 calls,  aircraft callouts, wtg's, climb here, turn there.

Truely an insight.  Brings a whole new meaning to the words "flight simulation"!!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
Totally agree with you there Swager. The first time I used RW it opened a whole new dimension and cuts down on the amount of you typing you have to down. A major advantage in any situation  

------------------
BaneX
=357th Pony Express=
"Need a package delivered? Call the Pony Express"

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2000, 11:20:00 AM »
Started using RW in WBs when it 1st came out. Nothing like it for winging. But,you need to set some rules when you have more than 4 people on it. Even with Mik clicks enabled you still overlap voice.

Also noticed that in WB i can use Voice activation,but in AH i need to use Key activation..

It the only way to wing  

Wardog
= 357th Pony Express =

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2000, 11:31:00 AM »
We use RW all the time and have found that voice activation caused feedback of messages from the person using it.

We turn off mike clicks also, think it messes with framerates in some sims.
For me this is evident with CFS and SDOhEll, every time a mike clicked my plane would stop while online, just for a second but really stop.

RW sure reduced the number of typing related crashes too.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
When I use RW, I plug in the headset/mic and use voice activation.  It prevents the speakers from triggering the mic when others talk.  Works great for me.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
Can one of you RW guys post under the HELP forum on where to find it, what it requires,(mic, but what kind? wheres the best price to find one? where does it plug into?) how to find my IP address, etc. I know nothing about RW, and have been somewhat out of touch on its abilities for 3 + years now.  Thanks!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Defected~)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2000, 12:44:00 PM »
 www.resounding.com

All the info you need is right there.  Any old headset/microphone combo works but apparently there is alot of problems getting the Ensoniq audio cards working with Roger Wilco (RW).  Check site for details.

-Ding

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2000, 12:55:00 PM »
Been using RW for a year now. Definetly adds to the game.

Words of advice,

Use a headset with a boom mike.
Echo from the room you are in can really cause problems with understanding just what the h*ll it is you are saying when using a stationary mike.

Don't use voice activation.
It may work just wonderfully for you, but 9 times out of 10 the other guys are getting mike clicked to death whenever you make the slightest move, yell at the kids, cough, etc. or hearing themselves come out your speakers only to activate your mike and hear themselves again. In the case that the voice sensitivity is not high enough, the other guys get broken messages. I know, I used to use voice activation, it aint all its cracked up to be.

I have my mike button mapped to my joystick. Believe me, that is the way to go.

------------------
hblair,
<===< The ASSASSINS >===>

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 02-02-2000).]

-Catman-

RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2000, 12:55:00 PM »
I just started using RW about 4 days ago and the very first time I got on a base station server I got 4 kills in the first fighter sweep!  I was also able to evade several badguys once they were on my tail due to the communication from the pilots in the sweep using RW.

It was great we had about 8 fighters all using RW on it brought a new feel to AH.  I use it everytime I'm on now.

The only problem I have with it is I cannot seem to get the "talk" button mapped to a joystick button...

Catman

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
 What key(s) does Aces High NOT use now, or more importantly in the future, that would make a good mike activation
button?? P is the sims intended vox button I believe - even though vox is not implemented.
 I've used RW but with the "P" key. I'd like to change that because when the sim has it's own built in VOX program going then that key will be used. The sim vox and using RW will enable users to have TWO vox channels open at once.  A flight com and a wingman com. This can work very well in a scenario, or TOD, where you can still monitor your countries text channel, you can then listen to your group leader direct your flight via the sims vox channel..however, when the weinerschnitzel hits the fan you still have your wingman on the RW vox com program.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 02-02-2000).]

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
Hblair,

How did you map it to your JS?  i've tried but no joy.  I have a CH Combatstickand want to map it to my pinky button.

Right now I use the DEL key.  Maybe I should find if AH uses that!!      I had no problems  so I guess it is okay.

Had problems with voice activation.  Turned on even when I breathed.

With RW you people are in a world of hurt now!    

Wardog  good advice on the more than 4 people scenario.  Things could get alittle "BUSY"

I have the Labtec 324.  It works pretty good!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 02-02-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
Yes. AH uses the [DEL] key and unless you remap your keys you're better off finding another one like the [P] key for now.

-Westy

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2000, 02:48:00 PM »
The key I use and quite a few others from what I understand is the "T" key.. this one is not mapped to anything in Aces High as far as I know.

------------------
BaneX
=357th Pony Express=

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
Also, forgot to add this.. for those people using a SB PCI128 sound card with RW you absolutely have to have the most recent drivers or RW will not transmit for you. Also, if you need some setup information to get it running feel free to email me at:

encallain@stic.net

and I will send you my settings since they have me working fine.

------------------
BaneX
=357th Pony Express=

-Catman-

RW. A whole new world!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by BaneX:
Also, forgot to add this.. for those people using a SB PCI128 sound card with RW you absolutely have to have the most recent drivers or RW will not transmit for you. Also, if you need some setup information to get it running feel free to email me at:

If anyone needs help with a SB64 Value send me a email.  I read on the RW web site that many people have problems with using the SB64 Value but I downloaded the newest drivers and it worked, no screwing with it, it just worked.

Catman
catman@royal.net