Author Topic: Question for HT or anyone who may know  (Read 515 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Question for HT or anyone who may know
« on: October 06, 2004, 01:52:22 PM »
Lets say I have 100 rounds of 12.5mm left.  Is it worth trying to get a kill or should I RTB.  I ask because once I was out of 37mm in a YAK and got cornered by a 51.  Somehow, a 2 second burst while he was under my nose and I could not see him, killed him.  I am wondering if this is because by pure luck, I put a lot of rounds into the pilot killing him, or if it was due to him having damage from a previus fight.

In any case, could lets say 80 50cal or 200 7.7mm or what ever the low number of ammo, give you a kill if you can hit the pilot?

Could 2 50 cal hits kill him?  YOu get the idea.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JB35

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 01:56:22 PM »
Usually a Melon Shot is an instant Kill , I try to hit the pilot in buff on a slight dive from 10 or 2 , and if its a good hit I get an instant Kill  :aok

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:12:54 PM »
Originally posted by JB35
Usually a Melon Shot is an instant Kill , I try to hit the pilot in buff on a slight dive from 10 or 2 , and if its a good hit I get an instant Kill  :aok

Thanx 35,

Using 20mm right?  I 'd like to know what the BBs can do.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

VWE

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:15:57 PM »
I landed 6 kills in an A6m2 in the CT last night, 3 of those kills were using only the 7.7's! If only I had a pair of 12.5's imagine what I could have landed... :aok

Offline JB35

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 02:21:22 PM »
Also I tend to find that when im hit with the smaller gunns , it's an instant pilot wound .

Anyone else notice this ?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »
I tend to get pilot wounds from smaller guns and not from larger guns, but I have never noticed any progression from pilot wound to dead.  If a smaller gun kills my pilot it is just as sudden and istantaneous as a larger calibre gun.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 03:07:33 PM »
I once killed a La-7 with a P51D and only fired 75 rounds total from all 6 guns. I believe I hit him in the cockpit cuz he just exploded :D You can kill with ust 2 12.5mm guns but you really need to be aiming for the cockpit. With that amount of ammo though I would just rtb.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 03:37:37 PM »
I know one guy that said he got a kill with 1 .50 round left.  I can't even remember who it was now.. but it was a pilot kill.  He had one round left, shot it.. and boom, the guy died.  Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
Generally speaking once I'm out of cannon in the 9T I try to RTB. However the enemy isn't always so cooperative.

While I don't expect kills with bbs only, esp up close they can make a difference.

I've had them finish several cons that I'd damaged. And you do get lucky now & then with a close shot with just the BBs.

But as a general rule once cannons gone I try to RTB.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 06:48:58 PM »
I actually had an interesting event today...I had mapped out my stick to fire primary & secondary seperately last night on a jabo hop. anyway, I took of for my normal "dawn patrol" without bothering to check. bounced a buff formation acouple times and thought something was funny but I had a pony on my -1 hog and had to break off...finally got a manuver kill on him after an in the weeds 1 vs 1...got a second kill (guessing one of the bombers bought it later) when I came back (wife ack) but had been killed by roman while afk...anyway relaunched and caught him rtb "fat dumb and happy" (his words:))...flew a perfect bounce and got nada...popped gear etc to follow him on evasives to find out I'm firing 2 guns locked in near stall with a 109 on the deck...anyway stayed with it and caught him at 75 yds with a full belly shot on evasive and he went down...ammo counter had 560 (remember for some reason) at the end on that counter so I used 240 rounds total...I'd say the "killing burst" was about 40-60 rds point blank. So you can kill with 2xmg but you need to be close and you need to land em in one spot I'd guess....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 07:08:40 PM »
Fly the C202 for a tour...you will become a much better BB gunner.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 07:40:53 PM »
Well, anything without much firepower.. I like to use 109F or E.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 08:06:17 PM »
I took down a P47 with just the BBs in a 109E once, it was a great feeling to stay in the saddle and just blast away. While it took awhile, it was earned.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 08:19:19 PM »
flying the P40B other night i got behide a Nik and fire a long burst and his hole tail fell off

8.88 perks for it to

i found the Spit1 and hurr1 guns are fun to play with

:)
known as Arctic in the main

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 03:33:28 PM »
An awful lot of my kills in a P-51 seem to be pilot kills.  The more maneuverable planes I shoot at tend to generate a lot of angles so I'm usually resorting to high deflection shots, often under the nose.  That means that my bullets rake nose to tail straight down the top of the fuselage if I open fire at convergence.  Inside or outside of convergence I'm lucky to knock off an aileron or half an elevator, but at convergence a shot like that tends to lead to an instant pilot kill.

I've been killed like that lots of times too... I think I'm making a great breakturn but the attacker gets in a good deflection shot and the rounds go straight into the cockpit and the next thing I know I'm the tower.

If you're that good of a shot and your opponent cooperates by exposing the top of his canopy to your guns, then it's definately possible.  Lots of things have to go right though.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.