Author Topic: P-51D vs. F4Uc  (Read 783 times)

Ice

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« on: October 16, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »
The question is....

In a Co-alt Co-E hedon engagement at 10k, Pilot skill equal(no new pilot vs. veteran), should the 51D win this engagement, and if so how?

Just curious  

Ice

[This message has been edited by Ice (edited 10-16-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »
I would say probably not.

While the P-51 has the clear edge in speed and range, in a duel type meeting, the superior guns of the -1C will probably end the engagement with a snapshot at some point. If it was the -1D I would put it into the "tossup" category.

If I was piloting a P-51 in the arena and met a -1C in a coalt situation, I would turn into him and deny the HO. Then extend and grab altitude until I had the clear advantage.

Just my opinon tho  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2000, 01:56:00 PM »
While the P-51 has the clear edge in speed and range.....
====
Although the P51 has excellent range, I dont see how pertinent this is to the co-alt 1vs1 equation.

Speed!  Now here is an interesting discussion.
I recently was at 22k+ and passed an oncoming F4U1C in a near head on.  I was at maximum combat speed and did a minor 20 degree wingover then returned to level to spoil his possible shot.  He did not shoot!  Instead, the F4U pulled up and over and began a pursuit.  I was over 2k away by the time he leveled off slightly above.  Not normally worried in this situation, I stayed level and continued to my objective.  Several seconds later I looked back and he was 1.2  This is where I made my usual CHog sigh and put my nose down 15 degrees.  Soon I was creaking with speed stress and passing thru 15k.  The F4U was at 1.1   I put the nose down and neared compression leveling off at 5k
The F4U was 900 out and spraying lead like a shotgun.  I took a ping and the wing came off.

It doesnt matter who was in the Chog but speed isnt a good defence against the dweebiest ride in AH.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
Hrmm... I could easily beat a co alt 1C in a 1v1 situation in P51.  Use the P51s superior stall speed and zoom.  

------------------

IV.(Sturm)/JG 3 "Udet"

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 10-16-2000).]

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2000, 02:11:00 PM »
What is that supposed to mean? If you are using superior stall speed, how do you expect to "zoom" anywhere?

I would say at Co-alt/E states, it is a tough call on who would win (that is if the pilots truely were equal) If both manage their plane properly, it is just a matter of who's wingman shows up first. Otherwise, you could go at it all day until one ran out of fuel (that would be the Chog) or one made a mistake (Chog again, because choosing an F4-U over a P-51 is a mistake in itself  )

Midnight

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2000, 02:23:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ice:
The question is....

In a Co-alt Co-E hedon engagement at 10k, Pilot skill equal(no new pilot vs. veteran), should the 51D win this engagement, and if so how?

Just curious  

Ice

[This message has been edited by Ice (edited 10-16-2000).]

In this situation the 51 would lose. The chog would open fire from D1.8 and get the kill from a HO.

Mav

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Yeager:
While the P-51 has the clear edge in speed and range.....
====
Although the P51 has excellent range, I dont see how pertinent this is to the co-alt 1vs1 equation.

Speed!  Now here is an interesting discussion.
I recently was at 22k+ and passed an oncoming F4U1C in a near head on.  I was at maximum combat speed and did a minor 20 degree wingover then returned to level to spoil his possible shot.  He did not shoot!  Instead, the F4U pulled up and over and began a pursuit.  I was over 2k away by the time he leveled off slightly above.  Not normally worried in this situation, I stayed level and continued to my objective.  Several seconds later I looked back and he was 1.2  This is where I made my usual CHog sigh and put my nose down 15 degrees.  Soon I was creaking with speed stress and passing thru 15k.  The F4U was at 1.1   I put the nose down and neared compression leveling off at 5k
The F4U was 900 out and spraying lead like a shotgun.  I took a ping and the wing came off.

It doesnt matter who was in the Chog but speed isnt a good defence against the dweebiest ride in AH.

Yeager

Yada Yada Yada...got film?  

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
ZOOM ABOVE HIM AND STALL AFTER HE DOES! DUHH!! :P

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2000, 02:58:00 PM »
I dueled zigrat in A8 vs his 1C 2 times and I won both using the technique I described above... zoom and stall.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2000, 03:23:00 PM »
Superior Range is a great thing. You drag the -1C around the arena like a kite, until he starts to worry about fuel and now the fight is yours. He can turn around and run to base (giving you the shot and position) or he can try to fight you and run out of gas. Even with the large fuel load of the Corsair, its a very thirsty beast compared to the Mustang.

Yeager, I gotta agree with Ripsnort. Got Film? The only way in the world for this to happen is if the P-51 is carrying 8 rockets, and two bombs/drop tanks, and the -1c is fuel light. Not only is the P51 appreciably faster, it also accelerates faster.

Nath, yes a superior pilot flying better tactics can beat the -1C as you describe, but if the pilots are of equal skill what you descibe becomes very dangerous due to the -1C's cannons.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2000, 04:18:00 PM »
Proposition! Put yer best F4U1C pilot up against me; for a 5 frame co-alt match. Name the alitude.

Wire the triggers in both planes. (no guns)

Fly for position. Who's gonna get to the saddle first?

Bets??

Now enable the guns. Fly that set again.

Whole new ballgame; ain't it.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Ice

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2000, 04:45:00 PM »
Nath my young youngster

You are talking out of the wrong orifice

I've seen some show their hineys' on this board before you, but never in such a bold manner.

At Co-E you would be dead pulling your zoom and stall...not only by an F4 but other planes offered in this sim as well.

Of course I know you will disagree Thanks for your input...I did ask for it

Ice

Nath-BDP

P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »
Ice, my old fart friend.  Did you run out of grandaddy diapers? :P

Would you like to duel me (51) vs your 1C so I may prove my point?

You don't seem to understand what tactic I'm referring to.  Its not zooming straight up after merge but finessing the opponent with ropes.

------------------

IV.(Sturm)/JG 3 "Udet"

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
yes nath11 did indeed beat me he in 190a8 me in f4u-1c,. I know how he did it now tho, i don't think he would rrouncce me so readily again, but he is definitely one of the best pilots in ah and not typical  

anyways, fighting a 1c in a pony is stupid, run. The f4u turns better and rolls better. and has bigger guns. i fight them anyway cuz thats how i am, but everyone knows the f4u is supposed to and dues turn better than pony.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
P-51D vs. F4Uc
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
hello all:

gee Verm, have you ever been in a p-51 or any other plane since the F-16 (F4Uc) came out.
the F-16 (F4Uc) needs to be looked at by HTC.
and as for what Yeager said, I dont need film to know it has happened. I have been in a p-47-30 and have had a F-16 (F4Uc) do the same thing, no I have no film. but the p-47-30 is suppose to be the best diving plane in this game, but yet a F-16 (F4Uc) can dive faster and pull out better then the P-47-30. please loose or fix the F-16 (F4Uc)

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS