Author Topic: New Aces High Flight doc loaded  (Read 5086 times)

Offline indian

• Copper Member
New Aces High Flight doc loaded
« on: March 11, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
I created ane Aces High Flight info doc and loaded it onto my web site. It contians info on various part of the airplane, briefy how they work and how they are used in Aces High.
I would like input form others on weather I should get more detailed in the info or keep it breif and what to add. Already plane to add some merge topics and some e retention topics. What more should be added.

So give me some input if you got any ideas.

It is easier to read on my website or you can down load it and use wordpad.

or see it here.
 http://www.geocities.com/tltoon11/AHFlight.html

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

[This message has been edited by indian (edited 03-11-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2000, 07:53:00 AM »
wow. Printed and entered into my AH 3 ring binder.

Very nice document with mucho needed info!

-Westy

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
Westy it a work in  progress. Going to add more ACM and more data on sbjects already in it. Pictures will be added also.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »
How about more info on the RPM setting.  Mayby a simple explanation of how RPM/Manifold settings effect performance...

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

WAKINYAN

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2000, 06:49:00 AM »
  Wonderful document, one of the best I have ever seen in a sim forum!

Can I do a remark? The induced drag is not caused by the control surfaces,a more accurate description is that is the component of the lift in the direction opposite to the flight path of the plane. So it grows always that for any cause the direction of the lift diverges from the perpendicular direction  of the flight path; i.e.with increase of the AoA, so yes, with the movement of the control surfaces, and as you tell at the end of the document, due to the vortices that originate because the wing is of finite lenght and force backwards the air flow and the lift over the wing surface...I love to speak about all this!

This is a question from a fool lover of physics and aerodynamics: Have you data from the designers about that all those physics that you are describing in such a good manner  is in fact contained in the aerodynamic model of the game? Could the game designers write a little document about the issue, similar to yours, only to make the deligths of the people like me? (he,he...)

The game feels outstanding.Thanks!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
Thanks Indian, well done!

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2000, 09:18:00 AM »
CTRL D !

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
KNIGHT'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-14-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2000, 09:32:00 AM »
WAKINYAN Dont know if it is in the game but why I am adding it for is those techno junkies like me that are going to ask about this later. Going threw my books is remindiing me how much I forgot about the basic stuff. The induce drag is when you trim the plane for flight abd the control surface is sticking out in the wind, it is creating some drag. Ill check how I wrote it and fix it if needed.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
A.F.W. Homepage

[This message has been edited by indian (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
Indian,

I think you would call that 'trim drag'.  Induced drag is a byproduct of lift.

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
Doesn't the trim cause changes in lift?  Which in turn would cause changes in "induced drag"?  I mean even the rudder will cause changes in lift, just in the Horizontal(sp?) plane?  All the control surfaces cause the same effect on their corresponding wing/surface.  They change the shape of the "wing" (whether verticle or horizontal) to cause a difference in pressure on opposite sides of the surface.  Which in turn causes lift on the surface, which then causes drag.
There is always "induced" drag, just that in level trim flight the engine is is adding more energy than what is being taken away by drag.  I sure I am oversimplifying things, but I think I correct.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I am no Aeronautical Engineer by any means...

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
Ok like I said I will look it up again in the document I will list all references. so if anyone disputes it they can post a new reference.Science is changing daily so my references can be old.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
A.F.W. Homepage

WAKINYAN

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2000, 02:08:00 AM »
  Hey! you´re interested! at last a forum where we can speak about it!

Induced drag is a subproduct of lift, is too the horizontal component of this lift taking as reference the flight path.: is directly proportional to the square of the lift force, and to the AoA thru the coeficient Cdi,(mainly) and inversely proportional to the aspect ratio of the wing.

It increases always that you increase the production of lift, changing in any way the AoA; during turns when you pull, pulling up,....

thanks!

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2000, 04:51:00 AM »
According to my reference all deflection of Flight controls will cause induced drag. Trimming a plane will either bring the flight controls in or out of the air stream. Which would line up the airplane to lower the induced drag caused by being out of trim. You are right about the AOA but must also include the other movements of the airplne also.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
A.F.W. Homepage

WAKINYAN

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »
 I agree totally; each wing and each surface produces its own lift and its own drag; each one maintain also its own A0A with the relative wind, and any change even at a local level produces a local according change in the lift and drag.

As an example this is a part (among other reasons)of the mechanism that explains the adverse yaw phenomenon during turns; the upper wing has a higher A0A and generates more drag than the lower; this causes that the plane shows a yawing moment opposite to the direction of the turn for which the rolling is being made.

Most of the posts here are fairly correct; this is not a dispute but a very pleasant conversation between people with common interests. thanks, guys.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2000, 01:09:00 AM »
Well done, Indian.

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz