Author Topic: Hellcat anyone?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« on: September 25, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
Is there any special qualities that sets this aside from other planes? seems to be just another average BNZ plane to me.

Does it accell at anything better than other air craft?

How would you compare a f4 and the f6?

I havent read anything at all on the boards about it and was just wondering if it was any good at'll

I figure anything called a "hellcat" should be a mean machine!   :D

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
One of the best in the hellkitty is mathman.  He is flying Bish now.. if ya see him give him a yell he can point out the finer side of flying the kitty.

The basics.. flown against E type aircraft this is an excellent angles plane.  Against angles planes this is an excellent E plane.

It will turn slightly better than a F4U but doesn't quite have the top end the hog has.   Tho it is a very stable gun platform and 6 .50s are just awesome  ;)  :)

Flown against a Hog it should excel in a turn fight at lower speeds and low alts.  Its E can be surprising to its opponants.

S!
Rocket

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
She dives like a dream.  She'll outdive just about any plane in the short term, and you still get decent response over 500mph.  She seems to hold E a little better than the Hog, but I could be mistaken.  The Hog will out roll the Kittie.  

The Hellcat isn't all that bad, I'm 12/7 in her this tour, and I am not a great stick.   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Ill have to check it out when i get home. (at work) Ive rarely seen people flying it so i thought that it was a bad air craft. Although i really love the roll rate of the F4, it can really get you out of a jam if you treat it right, UNLESS ROCKETS FLYING A F4 on your 6!!  :mad:   lol

But being able to retain more energy is a mayjor plus. Can it turn as sharp as a corsair at high speeds? thats got to be one of the nicest/overlooked things about the F4. Having that has gotten me out of some serious trouble.

just recently during a raid on a enemy base, i found my self alone with 2 spits and a 109.. it quickly turned into a dog fight because they were all over me and i had no other choice but to shoot my way out. They ended up on my 6 @ around 1+k each, i promptly dove hard and at 450+ they had pulled closer i yanked the stick back hard, my wing growled like a bear but i shot up like a missle rolled to a new heading and  leveled out at the celing of it flipped over and left them all sucking my fumes, i got away.

thanks for the info guys, sounds like a mean machine to me already. Im sure its not called a hell cat for nothin!

More input is welcome of course, i like to know my air craft in and out if possible.

Rocket i think you owe me another shot at you F4 vrs F4. u smoked my 205 twice and i came back in a F4, got gunned and when i returned couldnt find ya again.. its only fair!   :D

you can really make that thing move, good flyin <S!>

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
I don't think she has quite the instantaneous turnrate that the Corsair has, but she can turn a bit longer than the Hog.  I've seen Mathman do things in a Hellcat that I just didn't think possible, though.   :)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
I've been flying the Hellcat for a couple tours now and have had a little bit of success.  Most people would probably tell you to fly the hellcat like a Jug that can turn.  I seem to be able to out turn most E fighters and if anything can dive away from most angle fighters as long as you have some alt.  

The plane that gives me a lot of trouble in the hellcat is the George since it has an edge in the turn fight I think and seems to have comparable speed.  Hellcat is a great plane as long as you keep your SA about you since it doesn't have the pure speed to get you out of a jam.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2001, 11:25:00 AM »
f6f is a great plane except against a n1k since at low alt the n1k outclimbs,outaccelerated,outruns,outturns, and outguns the f6f

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
If you have a few K of altitude, the Hellcat will escape from the George with a 0G dive to very high speed.  That's about your only "out" card.  The George is definately the most dangerous plane to the Hellcat, specifically for it's excellent accelleration.  Your the E fighter vs. the George, but it's accelleration means that your E advantage will vanish very quickly.  If you have a decent E advantage you can make 1 pass on a George, maybe 2, then it's time to bug out.

I love the Hellcat, it's a great little E fighter and it can turn some.  It's the best accellerating single engined plane in the US stable.  It dives very well, and accellerates in a dive at what must be one of the best rates in the game.  One other thing the Hellcat has going for it is it's toughness.  It's almost as tough as the Jug, and it will get you home many times when lesser planes would be fluttering to earth in bits.

The ticket with the Hellcat is E and hiding it.  It's an E fighter and a damn good one, but you really need an E advantage at the start of a fight to expect to win.  The Kitty can turn some, but she only really turns well if you can afford to burn up some E to do it.  The best way to engage in the Kitty is to shallow dive into combat to gain speed, and level out nice and early so you "hide" your speed.  I'll also not head directly for the enemy if I've got more E, I'll angle off him a bit as we approach to cut down the closure speed.  You want to come in slightly lower but faster than him, and manage your closure as you approach so that he mis-judges your energy state.  If you can accomplish that, you've all but won.

BTW, if you are getting hassled by La7's, the Hellcat is a great ride.  It's my La7 killer.  :)  It will out-turn the La7's and for some reason they never seem to expect that.  If you can get close to them in terms of energy state, you'll eat 'em up.  The second they try to dive away you can eat their lunch.  The La7 will escape eventually, but for the short term in a dive the Hellcat will gain fast and get you close enough for a shot.  In the early stages of a dive, the Hellcat may be the best in the game, so use that to surprise folks who think they can run away from you in their "faster" planes.  The guys in F4Us, P-51s, P47's and FW's will under-estimate your diving ability most times and when they try to dive away you eat them.  Just make your shots count, because once you are level on the deck, the faster planes will start to pull away fairly quickly.

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
Maybe Mathman could response to this one. I had a couple extremely good fights with him in the past whith me in a 109G6 (he mostly won those fights) and he in the Hellcat. He's been flying it for a couple of tours and is very good in it.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
Ive noted one great thing about the hellcat, extremly accurate stable shot. You can unleash a crazy amount of fire and its right on the money.

Other than that i havent had much success in it, more than like not flying it right. I dont have much success at all BnZing so thats probably got something to do with it.

I just read all i can on the boards and bug you people to death with silly questions and eventualy ill get the hang of it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Am0n:
Ive noted one great thing about the hellcat, extremly accurate stable shot. You can unleash a crazy amount of fire and its right on the money.

Other than that i havent had much success in it, more than like not flying it right. I dont have much success at all BnZing so thats probably got something to do with it.

I just read all i can on the boards and bug you people to death with silly questions and eventualy ill get the hang of it.

the DHog, Hellcat, DPony and Jugs have wonderful armaments.  6 (or 8 for the Jug) 50 cals are nice.  Great rate of fire, and most all those rides are stable platforms when firing.  You hit at convergence with these puppies, and your target will come apart.   :)

You probably just need more practice BnZing.  I'd suggest getting Leph or another trainer to show you some tactics/ACM and how/when to apply them.  Because just coming in hard, firing, then extending won't work unless the bandit is occupied or just not paying attention.  Leph would be a good choice as he flies Jugs and Hellcats quite a bit.

:)  This is what this forum is for.  To ask questions so that you learn and enjoy the game more.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Am0n = Rookie

What is a George?

:P

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
George = N1K2
or as mispronounced in AH Niki, which drives Pryo nearly insane to hear.  George is the correct and historical term for this AC  :)

s!
Rocket

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2001, 07:41:00 PM »
Hi Am0n.   "George" was the US code name for
the Kawanishi N1K fighter.  In Aces High we have the N1K2-J version of this aircraft.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Hellcat anyone?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2001, 08:20:00 PM »
Kawanishi N1K2-J
 Shiden('Violet Lightning') - Kai(modified)

to be exact.