Author Topic: P-38 and Fowler flaps  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« on: March 14, 2000, 08:52:00 PM »
Is the P-38 gaining maneuvering benefit in the current FM from its Fowler flaps?

If so, I would sure appreciate the opportunity to train with someone who can show me how to use them effectively.  (Actually, I need to train for a bunch of stuff, but this is one that I don't expect to understand well on my own, at all ... )

[This message has been edited by Gator (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2000, 11:55:00 PM »
Gator,
  My understanding is that the flaps on all planes are not creating the lift they should.  All they do at the moment is induce a ton of drag.  HTC said in the next release they will be corrected and creating lift like they should.  S!

Rocket

------------------
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

Offline wells

• Copper Member
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2000, 01:15:00 AM »
Fowler flaps increase lift in 2 ways.  

1.  Increase in wing area
2.  Change in camber (lift coefficient)

From a drag standpoint, it is better to increase lift by #1 as much as possible.  The reason being that if you double #1, you double the drag, but if you double #2, you quadruple the drag!  

Since speed varies with the square root of drag (turn rate), there is no turn rate benefit from a simple flap design.  Only the radius is smaller.  

The fowler flaps on the P-38 will increase wing area by about 40 sq ft or a little over 10%.  By using just the first notch of flaps, they extend out but deflect very little.  There should be an increase in turn 'rate' by using that setting as well as a smaller radius.  

The flaps are 'broken' right now, so wait until version 1.02.

[This message has been edited by wells (edited 03-15-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2000, 07:34:00 AM »
As I understand it the flaps of ALL aircraft need a patch AND the Fowler flaps on the 38 are not implemented yet at all - yet.

-Westy

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2000, 10:22:00 AM »
Gator;

I am by far not an expert, so keep that in mind.    

The P-38 can do some pretty slow manuvers, especially looping.  For some of my loops the IAS may drop to 30-60mph easing over the top.  At these times I might drop up to 3 notches of flaps.  The trick is to stay wings level.

The P-38 will often then do a pretty rapid down pitch right after topping out.  Basically I believe stalling, but then falling nose down.  I get the flaps off before my airspeed gets back above 200mph.  

You can also start loops at slower speeds than most other planes.  Use a notch as you get about vertical.  Then use 2 or 3 notches to get over the top using very light stick back pressure.

You can really stretch every bit of E out of these turns and many times watch planes shooting at you that just quite can't get their nose up to you.  

Although it might also help to get slightly out of the shooters plane of flight.  Do this with  a couple of rudder kicks / small ail rolls while zooming and while going vertical.

BTW this never works on Torque.  

IMO flaps are not yet modeled to their full potential yet, especially for the P-38.  Practice these manuvers anyway to become proficient at them and be ready when the flaps get completed.

Best of Luck!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
Be aware Mino.. .until we get the 1.02 version popping flaps will do nothing but slow you down and affect your trim condition.  They won't help you over the top any more than trimming in the right direction would.

Once the flaps get fixed though, it's going to be a whole new ball of wax.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 03-15-2000).]

funked

P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2000, 06:07:00 PM »
Flaps is broke.  Right now they are just big airbrakes.

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
P-38 and Fowler flaps
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
  Thanx, guys, that's the kind of info I was interested in learning, stuff as to when to use one notch of flaps, or when to use more.  And when the extra lift is beneficial or when the extra drag cancels out the benefit of the extra lift.  It does sound like I can benefit from training with a P-38 expert, tho, who is confident on how many notches to use when.