Author Topic: Mouse Look  (Read 949 times)

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Mouse Look
« on: September 26, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
Is there anyway of setting up AH to so you can use the mouse to look around?

Thanks

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Mouse Look
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2001, 06:39:00 AM »
Yes, I believe you can do that.  I'll have to play around with the setup and see if I can figure it out, but I think it can be done.

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
Mouse Look
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
I would need a third hand to do that, I prefer to use the HAT on the sticks for that.

But I have also read an article about an optical gadget for mouse steering, where a IR Webcam and a strip taped to your forehead is used to control mouse movements. Problem with that is that you still have you eyes fixed to the screen in front of you while you moveing your head to change view, seems unnatural to me. I can't wait for affordable high resolution VR helmets! That together with a pressure suit and a cockpit setup would be the ultimate kick, hehe.

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Apar1 ]

highflyer

Mouse Look
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
You can do it pei, but its not good, because it does not:

A. Let you move the mouse around the complete FOV "360 degrees of visual looking"

For some reason It only lets you View 90 degrees of each X or Y axis.  What this means is that You may be able to only look completly down/up and only the Left hemisphere of the complete 360 degree circle of view.

B. You have to hold down a Mouse button down in order for the Mouse view to work, What this does is limit the idea of a "Free mouse Look"

I have tried this setup in IL2 and it works beautifully. In IL2 I have it set so that my Mouse controls the complete 360 degree FOV while at the same time allowing for the Left/Right mouse buttons to be Throttle controls.

I wish Aces High could get this straigtened out.

Pei in order for you to map your mouse to view so you can see what I am talking about, you need to open up your map view (esc key) choose  "Setup-->Joystick Setup-->Select Joystick.
  What you will see now is a screen that is called "Joystick Selection" What you need to do is select the "view pitch" from under the "AH control" category and choose the "MOUSE" (so you are assigning the pitch feature to the Mouse)then select the "X axis" for the pitch under the "Joystick Input" category(you do this because X is the axis where the Up/Down motion pivots on.

Now choose the Yaw, assign it to the mouse, and then to  Y axis.  

Make sure that after you choose the options you press "Set Input" otherwise it wont save.

I have the flu, so I may be explaining strange. (my brain is bleh right now )

anyhow.. try it see if it works for you.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Mouse Look
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
Thanks.

I have an X36 so in il2 I use the mouse controller on the throttle to look around (only draw back that this sometimes causes a big frame rate hit). I've got to like it so I was hoping I could do the same in AH.

highflyer

Mouse Look
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
hehe Pei, was wondering if you have had the chance to read my post.  :D

I use it in Il2 as well, But do not have any sort of frame rate hit because of it. Hmm.. ? strange.

Did you wind up having the same results that I have with Aces? Let me know what worked/ didnt work for you with AH mouse look  :D