Author Topic: Rolling backwards?  (Read 929 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Rolling backwards?
« on: September 27, 2001, 05:06:00 AM »
Is there a way to roll backwards?

I always wondered if it is possible, cause than i could make my D9 Carrier operative.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
Yep, there is.

The trick is that if your throttle is at 0, there are "auto brakes" that come on and stop you.  To roll back on the CV, simply ease your throttle ahead a tiny bit.  It will be enough to release the brakes, but the headwind on the carrier will push you back.  It's a great way to get extra room for takeoff in a heavy fighter too.  :)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Naudet:
Is there a way to roll backwards?

I always wondered if it is possible, cause than i could make my D9 Carrier operative.

What Leph said.  It's fun getting B26's off the deck.  Arados with RATO are just too easy tho.   ;)  Well, maybe fully laden it might be tough...  Of course landing the Arado on the CV is the real challenge!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Hammerhead

Rolling backwards?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2001, 07:16:00 AM »
I got a question. Well actually two.

firstly:- whenever i try landing on a carrier, I notice that somewhere around 500ft the damn thing disappears from my view completely. By the time it reappears I can just barely manage to avoid hitting the deck. Does this happen to any of u guyz too?

secondly:- In AH can u land all aircraft on the carrier? Even the ones wthout tailhooks?

Bring the Mustang IA to AcesHigh

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2001, 10:30:00 AM »
to #1: that seems to be a graph card related issue

to #2: yes u can land all planes on a carrier, u need to close in slow and hit the carrier very early so u have enough rome to break, offline i landed a D9 on it. And rumors tell someone in here also landed a AR234 on a CV.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
Back when 1.05 was released there was a whole spate of carrier "guest appearances". A number of people landed B17s on carriers (though I doubt they got them off again). Anybody try a lanc?

Offline geistx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingwhirlpoolofsuck.org
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
I haven't had the carrier disappear on me, but it has a nasty tendancy to turn sharp at the last minute.    :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Rolling backwards?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2001, 06:49:00 AM »
3 days after the Navy appeared I was up in a lanc. Turned into a long harrasing mission then a pony got my fuel. Only thing in reach was the CV.

Not only landed it, but was stopped in the wires. (reload area) Takeoff's another matter entirely however.