Author Topic: Converting from WB to AH  (Read 979 times)

Offline Makofan

• Copper Member
Converting from WB to AH
« on: March 17, 2000, 10:22:00 AM »
Hi

I downloaded Aces High last night.  I have read all the help pages.  Being an impatient guy, I want to just jump in and fly (look out for that George!)

What do I have to know about AH that is different from WB to make the transition as smooth as possible.  I'm not talking about graphics here (I can see them!), more the habits in WB that have to change, and the little tricks in AH you have to learn.

Any replies appreciated.

Thanks!
Makofan

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
You might notice the planes will respond better in Aces High. It will take time but at first you will notice the head bobbing around the the cockpit but it will become unoticeable. Set your views to your likeing. And grab a trainer and go to the training arena to get some quick kills to see how the guns differ form WB. We act as drone for the cross over people. We are not the best fighters so you will need to get in the main to see how combat is different.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
Since this sim is not  hourly rate, most battles start at 18K and above.

If you'd like you can private channel me or any other trainers and we'll go into the TA with ya and  answer any questions you have.  I'll be up tonight at 7:00pm PST

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them."

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2000, 10:39:00 AM »
Planes bleed E faster in AH.  You'll need to be very aware of E management.

Flat rate = time to climb.  Watch out for the 30K 109's.

Guns are more lethal in AH.

Ack is deadly (for now).  Jabo = suicide.

Buff gunners are human.  There is no "secret" strategy for fooling Otto.  Some buffs are easy to kill -- some ain't.

In flight radar and sector counters makes SA easier. It works for you if you use it -- against you if you don't.  You will see friendlies all the time, and see enemies when they are close enough to a (functioning) field tower.  (Sometimes an entire country's radar will be out.)

Slip (skid) produces a lot of drag.  Staying coordinated in turns preserves E.  You can use slip to slow down for landings.

Three countries changes the Arena dynamics.  Watch yer back.

Real men fly for Rooks.  

Drop by the Training Arena.  An hour of practice will make the transition quicker.  You can schedule a session with a trainer, or just drop in and find a willing opponent.

popeye

AH Trainer
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Makofan

• Copper Member
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Right now, I just plan to fly around off line and get used to things.  After a while, I will probably go for my two free weeks online.  Then, I can make a decision.  I probably have enough discretionary cash to afford both games, so it's a question of enjoyment.  I noticed the headbobbing, but didnt know what it was!!

Are there any off-line drones?

Makofan

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2000, 09:09:00 PM »
Hi Makofan,

Popeye is right.  There appears to be more inertia in AH than in WB.  You'll get the same amount of energy translation as in WB (kinetic energy to potential energy, and vice versa), but it will take a little longer to 'squeeze it out'.  This results in a little more of thinking ahead, so to speak.

Oh, and fly Knights  

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
No "drones" at the moment.  However, word is that in the next couple of versions AH's promised 8 player free H2H will be available.

One more thing that wasn't covered in detail above.  In AH you can adjust your head position for every single view.  Before you roll in each new plane, sit on the runway (offline) and adjust your head position using your arrow keys and PgUp/PgDwn then hit F10 to save for each view.  You need to do this for each plane.  Also, note the "Z" zoom feature.. handy for long-range gunnery and for making out the direction of a long range contact.  You can adjust the zoom level using the [] keys.  There is also two forward views.  I use the second forward view by adjusting it down and back.. so I have a view where I can look down at all my instruments when doing things like adjusting Man. pressure and prop pitch for fuel conservation.

Fuel is one more big difference you will find in AH.  There is a fuel multiplier in effect that forces you to use things like drop-tanks for longer missions.  This means that a bird like the P51 can have an advantage based on fuel load since it is very good on gas.  One common tactic is to take 75% fuel and a drop tank, climb-out and ingress to the target on the tank, then drop it before fighting.  If the fight it close enough, you can cut down to even 50% internal fuel which makes you light as soon as you drop your external.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 03-18-2000).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Converting from WB to AH
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2000, 10:29:00 PM »
MAKOFAN!!!!!!

You'll find the Nik2-J George ROCKS!

8 way H2H should be out sometime soon. (2 weeks pyro? )

Looking forward to the day when I see the 27th Sentai in AH.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels