Author Topic: Landed safely yet got ditched anyway?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline daloon

• Zinc Member
Landed safely yet got ditched anyway?
« on: December 05, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
What is the proper shutdown method after returning to your home field?  I flew a mission and returned safely to my home field.  When I shut down my plane and returned to tower I got ditched???

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
If you were on the runway when you did this, its a bug..report what field you were at.

If you were off the runway, then it is indeed a ditch.

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
Yeah, You need to be on a runway or taxiway when you exit a plane

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
Which brings me back to one of my favorite gripes.  :)

PLEASE make the whole airfield tile count as a landing. I really hate coming in out of gas, rolling 5 ft past the runway and getting a ditch. I guess the ground handling crew is lazy?

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
Raub join the club, for some reason I always manage to glide the plane untill 2 FEET from the runway.. With impecable precision lol.

Talk about frustration. I even tried to make flapping movements with the ailerons once to get the jug moving again lol.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
That's just the point.  If you didn't have to land on the runway, why bother to land on the runway?

HTC wants you to have to land on the runway to get a properly completed mission.  Otherwise isn't it a bit too easy?  They think so obviously.  I agree as well, properly landing on the runway as a requirement for a properly "landed" mission makes sense to me.  Don't run out of gas, or if you do, better be skilled at dead-sticking it for a landing.  This way when you DO manage a perfect dead-stick landing, it's actually an accomplishment.

Offline xRAM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr RiplEy:
Raub join the club, for some reason I always manage to glide the plane untill 2 FEET from the runway.. With impecable precision lol.

Talk about frustration. I even tried to make flapping movements with the ailerons once to get the jug moving again lol.

Have you tried to fart along with the flapping? I have found if you eat a lot of beans you can get and extra yard or two out of it.

xRAM

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
Lephturn, have you ever thought that anything about the game could be improved? You're like a broken record..."AH is great, I love AH, don't change anything"  :)

I see no reason why landing 5 feet off the runway can't be counted as a landing. That's just a bit ridiculous. especially considering that many of these planes regularly operated off of grass/dirt strips.

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2001, 07:36:00 PM »
It is really frustrating to come in with a badly damaged aircraft, bring it down for a landing, end up 2 feet off the runway and receive a ditch for your aircraft.  You get the same credit for bringing a wounded aircraft back to base as you would if you bailed close to any friendly base and completely lost your plane.  This makes sense?  At least the plane you brought back can be repaired.  I like trying to bring a wounded plane back home, but it isn't worth the frustration if you get a ditch for being two feet of the side of the runway because your gear was damaged and you slid sidways.  Give us some incentive, it's not a stretch.  Make it a successfull landing anywhere within the base perimeter.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
I'm with Lepgturn on this one.  If you aren't on the runway, then it shouldn't be a successful landing.  And yes, I hate it when I end up 2 ft off the runway too...

Otherwise, people would just smack their crates down anywhere on the field, knowing it would be a "successful" landing.  I prefer having ot actually land...

Maybe a reasonable suggestion would be to add another end of mission category, say "crash landing", and make that within the airfield boundaries.  With a 1.0 score multiplier instead of 1.25 say...

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
let us clear things up a bit

it's not where you "land" that counts , it's where you "exit" the plane.

i can "land ' on the grass and taxi to the runway and get good landing, i can "land" on the runway and end up on the grass and get "ditch", so it's not where you land , it's where you exit.

i have ground looped a F4U landing , ripped off a wing , landing gear , bent the prop , but ended up on the runway and got a good landing, then i have brought a damaged plane in , landed on the runway but had one wheel in the grass and got a "ditched", have any of you tried to taxi a P38 with one eng? it wants to go in circles.

i think if you end up inside the field boundaries on your wheels it should be a good landing.

44MAG

Hammerhead

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »
The only solution, IMHO is that the AcesHigh mission ending model should be varied a bit....
If u land a plane, and all parts are in the green then you must land on the runway and end it on the runway ot taxi-way....  :)
HOWEVER,
If u bringing in a broken bird, any spot on the airfield is a successful landing....  ;)
Sound's fair enough, don't u think??  :D .
And Yes, I too am a member of the club of pilots who land without fuel and gears and ditch on the greens  :D

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
i agree make the airfield area a sucessful landing .funny thing a few nights ago my la5 ran dry i came in hot went over the runway but luckly my plane rolled up a hill at the end of the runway so i was able to turn just enough to coast back down the hill to the runway for a sucessful landing.  :D

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »

rofl!

ive been very lucky with landings!

today i snaped my landing gear off (stupid me forgot they were down at 200mph) and all 3 snaped off. i was in a p-38 and came in hot. I lined up for a nice soft belly landing and for some reason stoped 2 yards or so from the edge of the runway  :D

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
A good landing should be rewarded (exiting on runway)

Otherwise where will it stop, increase the field tile because i landed 2 feet from it and got a ditch, needs increased again because i was 2 feet farther last time.

;)
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.