Author Topic: Getting worse NOT better!!  (Read 1818 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Getting worse NOT better!!
« on: July 23, 2000, 01:07:00 AM »
Been frustrating lately for me.  I am having a bad friggin tour and seem to be the ARENA DRONE!!!!

What are some helpful hints to improve and what do you do when "the slump" hits??

I know that this is probaly the most skilled bunch of pilots and that alone is a reason, but so many of you are racking up multi-kill missions............

Thanks

------------------
Skernsk
Fat Drunk Bastards

[This message has been edited by skernsk (edited 07-23-2000).]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2000, 01:48:00 AM »
Hey Skern,

Things which helps me greatly but take some patience:

a) Use camera. Record you fights, watch you mistakes which make you to perish and your opponents moves which gives them advantage over you.
b) Consider .join <name> some of you friends who has good k/d ratio.
c) I know that it may sound strange, but try to make 1 kills missions, for example, get alt, get kill and return home to refuel even if no enemies around and plenty of fuel and ammo left. Make it 3-4 times, then try 2 kills mission. Helps me to break "bad" days.

Hope it helps,

Festina Lente

[This message has been edited by Fariz (edited 07-23-2000).]

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2000, 01:49:00 AM »
Slumps sure do suck don't they  .  It seems like I've been in one for two months now. I haven't been able to post the kill to death ratio that I could back in the spring.  But even now I have my off nights and my on nights.  Some days I can fly right through a big furball pick off 3 bad guys and come out without a scratch on me.  Other days I try a slow dead 6 approach on a B17 and get my hiney blown off.  Slumps you just gotta work through I think.  One thing that I know I fall victim to is I become kill hungury and I start start to lose my patience and do stupid things that end up getting me killed.   So just stick with it and things will start to look up.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2000, 04:49:00 AM »
http:// [url=http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000185.html]http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000185.html[/url][/URL]

Crabo went thru this- and the advice is still good.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

[This message has been edited by Sorrow[S=A] (edited 07-23-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2000, 05:07:00 AM »
hehehe, rings a bell  

Don't worry, it'll come back  

------------------
SAW/Saintaw
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info

"It's supposed to be hard; that's what makes it great!"
Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

.squelch creamo

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 07-24-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2000, 06:19:00 AM »
I know wery well whats the feeling...
I am playing AH till December and i am (still) at lower steps....
Some days i feel like smashing my joy for my frustrating performances... but day after day i realize im improving my skills.
If it can help i may add few words:

-Dont  I repeat dont look any more at K/D  
 ratio (at least less possible   )
-prepare well yor attack, watch for all    contacts around and if its necessary abort it
-prepare your escape window
-In case of kill go away take a rest (even land and roll again Ok!)
-If possible fly with a wingman
-practice and practice and practice again...

I know this is a poor thing in the ocean of words we may say on combat tactics, but u see im a newbie   , and those thing are helping me a lot (since i've not yet smashed my joy,i can say it!)  

Ciao

------------------
Stefano  "Nibbio"
4°Stormo CT "F.Baracca"
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2000, 08:41:00 AM »
 Skernsk, find a mentor and ask him to film as many flights as possible and allow you to watch them. Better yet ask him (or "her", don't want to 'diss' the ladies) if you can ride along on several flights as an observer to see what they do. Take notes.
 Most do not wade in solo against many enemies. And most are members of a squad and have a good repertiore with thier wingies.

-Westy

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »
skernsk,

It's pretty common to take 1 step back for every two steps forward. I'll try and not recap a lot of whats been said before...

1) limit your plane type in a slump, work with 1 plane at a time.

2) Use a drop tank and lower internal fuel load. this gives you range and optimum performance in fight.

3) ALWAYS engage from a position of strength on initial encounter...use your drop tank to gain alt and then avoid neg E initial encounters if possible

4) After 1st victory...always climb to alt before re engaging, don't chase a 2nd bogie low.

5) ignore your score ... it doesn't matter anyway.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2000, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I need to be more patient....(rule #1).  Especially when I get frustrated I rush it and get into bad situations.

I also noticed that it is rare to find a lone wolf out there.  Most guys fly with a wingman or several wingmen.  This makes your odds nearly impossible.  Still, I see several guys with multiple kills on text buffer and they are up against the same odds.  

At least once a night I get outflown big time.  I see some pilots have improved tenfold over me -- and that is disconcerting.  

I'll keep flying drone for the rooks and knights until I earn my wings

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2000, 10:46:00 PM »

Originally posted by skernsk:

I also noticed that it is rare to find a lone wolf out there.  Most guys fly with a wingman or several wingmen

Uh yeah...I must be the only stupid who flies alone in the MA...
and so I'm kicked in the bellybutton all the time  

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2000, 07:42:00 AM »
OK here goes my advice :

1.Fly a fast plane .  Why ? If your plane turns great so what , u turn and someone comes and shoots your bellybutton off . Fast can get u home most times . What I like Mustang first choice , 109G10 , P38 .

2.If bandit higher than you , keep him at your three or nine oclock till you are above him or dive and run like hell away . Most important in climbing up above bandits (IMO)is to keep that speed up . I think I get more kills by rope a dopeing players in high speed climbs under 1000 to 2000 fpm , remember if you are above ( if not you forgot rule 1 )
he has to climb faster to shoot and will most likly lose E before you    Listen to the wind , if you don't hear the wind in your ears u most likely too slow .

3.Use high yo yo's , keeping that speed up and you above your target . Most times I die is when I get in a hurry and try to turn with bandit     vertical moves are most always better , sometimes I think lets just crank a hard g turn and get this over FAST . LMAO as takes lots more time to climb back up after I get my bellybutton handed to me for forgetting #3 .

These won't most likly get u lots of kills quickly but will IMO help you live to land more .

cheers spro

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!http://www.airsquadron.com" TARGET=_blank>

[This message has been edited by airspro (edited 08-01-2000).]

My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
damn another double post  

My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2000, 02:48:00 AM »
Back in beta I was in a slump I thought I'd never get out of.  My shooting was bad, I got killed by newbies...man I felt bad.  

You know what I realised, I was too eager.  That is, I was launching from capped fields and trying to fight every fight.  My K/S was below one until I started launching from different fields and getting alt before a fight.  Once I started getting kills again, my confidence went up and the rest followed - ACMs, SA, gunnery.  I still get killed heaps, but my K/S is at least above 1 .. where I like it  ...

Something I said to a former pupil who was trying to get a 10 kill streak, "don't check your score".  As soon as he did that, he got the 10 kill streak he was after  ..

Ex.

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2000, 04:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sorrow[S=A]:
http:// [url=http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000185.html]http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000185.html[/url][/URL]

Crabo went thru this- and the advice is still good.

Hehehe..have to tell you:crabo still sux.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »
  Don't feel alone. Last night during the Knits revenge against the Rooks slaughter, I died 20 times to one assist, and one kill. Even had a B-26 nail me from 1.6d from a front 3/4 low alt ad attack. Seemed like 2 pings and both wings were gone. I finally ended the session in disgust.
  But I will be back though.

...Weav