Author Topic: Tiffie training...  (Read 734 times)

washedup

Tiffie training...
« on: December 03, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
Any Tiffie aces out there who want to give me some tips?  I'm trying to increase my knowledge to fighter-fighter flying in the tiffie...  Correct engagement strategy, best maneuvers etc?

Thanks given for any helpful info...  

eskimo

Tiffie training...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2000, 08:32:00 PM »
I have been flying the Tiffy as my main fighter for the past 9 weeks and love it.
I recomend:

#1. Keep her above 240 mph in the combat zone.  I think the Tiffy has better acceleration, or equal, than all but the 109 above 240.  Under 200 - 240, most other planes have better acceleration.  Acceleration and top speed are your 2 saviors in the Tiffy.

#2. Don't turn beyond 90 degrees with Spits, N1Ks, Zeros and other Angles Fighters.

#3. Never climb to escape.  Always run flat or dive to escape.

#4. Go for snapshots.  1 or 2 20mm Hispano hits often result in kills or hindering damage.  The Tiffy has the same gun package as the hated F4U1-C, with a little less ammo.  I even take 500 yard, 90 degree deflection shots that pay off often enough to make them worthwhile.  If you wait for dead 6 200 yard shots, you might wait all day.  This is a difficult plane to fly onto a guys 6.  When he breaks, shoot.

#5. Keep it under 20K.  I spend most of my Tiffy time under 10K.  

#6. It's a great buff killer, but not a very good climbing interceptor.  Don't go after buffs if they are already significantly higher than you.

eskimo

washedup

Tiffie training...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice esk...  Will try it out...

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Tiffie training...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2000, 07:16:00 PM »
Eskimo has it about dead on..

But i dont turn more than 45 degree for Spits or N1K2s, it you cant land a shot in the 1st 45, your not going to,level for speed or start grabin a little alt for the next pass.

Tiffy is the most fun ive had in a long time. I can turn with N1s and Spits but its important to do damage on the 1st shot.

I also have a better shot at deflection shotting that dead 6 at 200, not sure why, think the cannons are spread wide on the Tiffy..

And allways keep in mind, Tiffy is a damn big target so they will come to you.

Sparks started a thread on Tiffy a while ago,ive got a few films posted there ya can look at.
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum2/HTML/000450.html

Dog out.......

[This message has been edited by Wardog (edited 12-04-2000).]

eskimo

Tiffie training...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
Wardog;
Good point.
I think your right about 45 degrees for max turn.  When I fly smart, I think I also prolly stick to that.  When I am careless, and turn well past 45 degrees, I prolly get myself killed more often than I get a kill.

But sometimes I just can't help but to fly like a targetfixated-newbietard.  It seems as though other newbietards do things even dumber, just often enough to temp me...  

eskimo

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Tiffie training...
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2000, 09:14:00 PM »
Eskimo..

Yup, the temptation is so great,ya wana keep pullin on the stick hard,just in case ya can land that 1 hit that counts.

Washedup..

Here is a film i took a few weeks ago in the Typhoon. a34 was under heavy JABO attack by Rooks, so i came up a35 and headed to a34 for field defence.

Watch this film from F4 mode and in the cockpit, you will see a few good lead shots and a few bad ones. Had a real problem landing any hit on 1 of the p47s.

I managed 8 kills then landed a34 under Rook cap for a hot-rearm, as i am takin off after rearm look out the right rear for an F4U comin in hot. This was tense. I got 4 more kills after rearm then outa ammo ran back to 34 dragin angry Rook Air Force.

Was a fun sortie just doing field defence, 12 kills total.

Enjoy..
This film will self extract to your AH film directory. Film name is a34-12.ahf

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/wardog/tiffy.exe

Ill add 2 more films for you here. Surprise.zip is where 2 of my Squadies changed countries and came gunnin for me, i didnt check roster and thought i was joining up with them. So you have 2 p51 v my Typhoon at about 20k..
 http://mypage.direct.ca/w/wardog/surprise.zip

And as i found out later, Packrat had filmed this sortie too. Here is his film so you can get an idea of tactics employed by both sides.

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/wardog/other-view.zip

Dog out........

[This message has been edited by Wardog (edited 12-05-2000).]