Author Topic: How should rookies test Planes?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Thumper5

• Zinc Member
How should rookies test Planes?
« on: October 17, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
Hey all I have been here for abou ta month now and I have tried to find a ride I really enjoy.  I am pretty good in a Lanc and can pop a CV from 18K and any building from 25K.

My problem is findin g a good fighter/attacker.  Maybee im too used to my jet sims, F-16 & 18, but I caont seem to find a plane that suits me yet.  I admit that I usually fly one a a few times and if it seems really slow, or immobile I chose again.  

Lately thoug i have stuck with either the f6 or p47 for fighter, or attack.  I am trying to use them only this tour to see how I do.  Shoule I use a plane this long or longer or shorter.  How did you Aces find "your plane".

Thankcs for any help, oh and where do we find our Kills, v deaths, stuff on this page? or can we?

Thumper5

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Goto Scores under Community. You then have several choices then to find various stats and such.

As far as planes are concerned... it depends on what you want. If you feel you need help with ACM and such ask for a trainer. Post on this board for advice as well concerning varoius planes,tactics, etc.

Good luck
xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
You've got the right idea.  Pick one plane and stick with it for a while.

As for your choices, the F6F and P-47 both have a few very good attributes, but in general are "challenging" in the Main Arena.  It might be better to choose a good all round performer like the Spit IX, to get a feel for the game, THEN move on to more challenging rides.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Stick to the BNZ/E fighter planes like those 2. Although ill admit the learning curve is much steeper in those type of air craft, it will pay off eventually because when you master BNZ (Boom and Zoom) you master survival.

A Turn and Burn(TNB) plane is great for practicing aim though becuase you have plenty of attempts at taking shots which is differnt from the BNZ air craft where you get one shot. But the chances of surviving a conflict are slim in a TNB air craft because you are always in the furballs and at higher risk of death.

Im new my self so i can offer much tactical advice that would suit you. But one thing is for sure, and anyone will tell you, keep those air craft high and fast(20k or more). What ever altitude you loose gaining speed, use that speed to get your altitude back once you make a pass at you target. after 2 or 3 passes i would bug out and get alt back. Also dont make high G turns when booming down on someone, you loose a lot of energy that way and become an easy kill, even on you Zoom out make low G turns (2-3)

hope that'll help ya out some. Your in the right place though these guys here on this BBS helped me out a lot when i was new.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
Any aircraft you pick to be your JABO (fighter/bomber) platform will be dog arse slow when fully equipped.  Personally I like the Corsair; however, with 2K bombs, 8 rockets, and a full tank don’t expect to climb and arrive anywhere quickly  ;).  It goes for the P47 and F6 also.

Popeye pretty much said it.  IMO the “E” fighters are much harder to handle than the angle fighters are.  If you’re going to stick with the heavier frames I would try it without ordinance attached first to get the real “feel” of the aircraft.

<S>

Zippatuh

Offline Thumper5

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2001, 05:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I got a few aa kills in the F6 today as well as a few AG.  

I have notined that the F6 turns quite well at about 5K and 300MPH.  I out turned a yak and a am6 at low level for 2 ofr my 3 AA kills.

Oh by the way, how many times must I hit a gv with bullets to kill it esp a panzer. I unloaeded about 300 rounds into him, (saw the sparks or hit graphic) and not even an assist.  Are they that heavilt armored?

Thanks again for the advice.

Thumper5

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2001, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Thumper5:
Oh by the way, how many times must I hit a gv with bullets to kill it esp a panzer. I unloaeded about 300 rounds into him, (saw the sparks or hit graphic) and not even an assist.  Are they that heavilt armored?

Despite what you may hear on this BBS gv's are almost impossible to kill with machine guns.  You can disable them if you are lucky but it takes a lot of rounds to do so.

If you want to kill gv's, use bombs, rockets or another gv.  Even cannon armed fighters take a lot of hits to damage a gv.

As for flying a plane, my suggestion is to use a turning plane (such as Spit IX, F6 or Hurricane IIC) until you are enjoying yourself and getting kills regularly.  Then you should try to use energy planes (109G10, P51, P47, F4 etc).

The most important thing though is to have fun while looking for your ride of choice.  If you use a turn n burn plane at first you will get more kills which is a lot more fun than continually dieing trying to learn an energy plane.  Try to learn as many planes as possible on the way to choosing your favourite and you'll be a more balanced and useful AH pilot for the effort...
--------------------

Click on image to go to the 412th home page...

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Blue Mako ]

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2001, 02:04:00 AM »
My suggestion is to try em all out breifly at first. Pick to the one that seems to suit you the best which is not at either ends of BnZ or TnB extremes. Learn the basics of it, then re-evaluate your choice, pick another that is more of a BnZ or TnB plane and learn the basics of that one, if you like the direction its taking your flying style then pick and master the one at the extreme end of the direction your second ride took you (either TnB or BnZ which ever way you like most).

I guess you could master which ever one along the way, but, IMO, its worth learning several and mastering one.

Or, just fly the P51 and be a real man  ;)

When i started out, I started out in the spit 9 for a month or so, then to the la5 for a month, then to the p51 which is what im happiest in and been flying for over 2 years now  :)
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
A lot depends on your style, skill level, and what you find "interesting".

The first 4 years I flew online (warbirds) my fav ride was the zeke. While I'd try a new plane for a sortie or so. Nothing else "felt" right. When I moved to AH I tried everything available. Spent some time in spits, and niki. Tried 190A5 for a tour but it just didn't feel right. Then got turned on to the C205. Flew it for a couple of tours then one day a friend suggested we try a sortie in La5n's. WOW, I was hooked, now this bird had SPEED! Once the La7 came out there was no question about it.

Pick a plane, master it to the best of your ability. But once a week grab a plane you havn't flown & take it for a spin. Also as skill levels change with time you'll find
your tastes may change.

Offline Thumper5

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks again for all of the advice guys I really appreciate it.  THis week I tried the Pit IX and I think I found my plane.  

She turns really well for me and I can use som eof my f-16 moves to finally get 200 yards off 6 and blast away.  so far im 27 kills to 20 deaths, most of the deaths were bad ideas to get into.!

If you have any advice on how else to use the spit 9 let me know, and thanks in advance for any more finding my plane advice.

THumper5

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Am0n:
A Turn and Burn(TNB) plane is great for practicing aim though becuase you have plenty of attempts at taking shots which is differnt from the BNZ air craft where you get one shot. But the chances of surviving a conflict are slim in a TNB air craft because you are always in the furballs and at higher risk of death.

True if you just dive into the first enemy infested furball you come across.  However if you use the head a bit and choose your fight's carefully and keep an eye on the escape route your chances of rtb'ng go up exponentially.
Thumper:
Use the 50 Cal gun loadout and make sure you hit the target, cause the 'ol spit don't have many rounds, it's surprising just how quick you can run outta ammo.

g/l
--------------------

Flt.Lt.Gremlin
56th Firebirds "Fighter" Squadron RAF.

"Heavy Tiffies, 100% Fuel, Were on a mission."

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gremlin:
However if you use the head a bit and choose your fight's carefully and keep an eye on the escape route your chances of rtb'ng go up exponentially.

You shoulda used that therory last night Gremlin, before i turned your pony into a flying coffin  :D
(j/k)

But you did stick to your own rule on knowing your escape route, you turned 400 yards into 3k quickly, just didnt make it back hehe

Good flying
<S>!