Author Topic: Need tips on straffing ostwinds  (Read 831 times)

Luke Skywalker

Need tips on straffing ostwinds
« on: December 07, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
In fact I dont use to do this a lot in the main arena as I know it means a very high chance of dying.

But for sure in the H2H sessions where one guy always gets an ostie I try to straffe it. But I never manage to kill him before he gets me ,thing that is pretty annoying  

Now, how do you kill an ostwind with no bombs?. I know that Hispano can kill them-as they can kill PzIVs,but can Shvaks and Mausers do the job too?.

And 12.7mm?. I ask this because I always try to get a long range burst on the Ostwind, as they have an open roof that should destroy the turret, but It doesnt work many times  

Ok, ears open, and ready to listen

------------------
Hey, dont shoot me! I'm on the light side!!

[This message has been edited by Luke Skywalker (edited 12-07-2000).]

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
It's tough to kill Ostys with Mausers, but you can do it. It takes 3 or 4 passes sometimes. The key is to attack at a steep dive angle. After your pass, make sure you're not just extending straight, or you might get nailed.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2000, 04:25:00 PM »
do what I do ..... don't  

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

bike killa

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
hunting osty's with mausers? with no eggs? brrrrrrrr... you need to have to assign some other bail out key, quicker then 3xenter   with auto open chute command  
but if you really need to, try to don't dive straight to target 'cuz it's easy for gunner to take you down. you can also try this:
fly reversed over the target about 1.2k above, when you'll be A BIT behind him start diving and schooting then. if gunner following you all the time he'll nedd to change his turret position and maybe he'll be not fast enought to sight you  
i hope you know what i mean (can't explain in better in english   )
there is another tip. try to attack flak with some other pilot. it'll give you 50% chances that gunner 'll be schooting to the other guy  
<S>

[This message has been edited by bike killa (edited 12-08-2000).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2000, 05:43:00 AM »
As a osty driver I can add a bit more to the above.

Bikekil is right on both counts, come in as
vertical as possible, use a wingman as a distraction makeing passes to the SIDE of the osty if at all possible.  Break off by 600 at the latest, most of my kills in the osty are 700 & closer.

On egress don't fly straight, or even a straight zoom. Twist, turn, yank & bank that bird around. (This helps when killing ack also)

Also don't fly the same pattern twice, predictiblity will kill you.

Last, the panzer's & osty's weakest point seems to be the hulls frontal armor. (shouldn't be but there it is)Set up your passes to hit him in the front as low as you can.

Sleeman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
Use the force Luke ... use the force ...

Sorry couldn't resist!

Sleeman

Luke Skywalker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by Eagler:
do what I do ..... don't    

Eagler

Hehe, that may be the best of the answers . But when there is an ostwind near, you can't hide and say "he is going to kill me!" ,right?  

Bike Killa, that is the way I have tried it but seems I dont even scratch them   the turret keeps on firing and I keep on dying.

"use the force"...I could do it, but well, then someone could yell that I'm a hacker  

------------------
Hey, dont shoot me! I'm on the light side!!

[This message has been edited by Luke Skywalker (edited 12-08-2000).]

funked

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2000, 01:34:00 PM »
If the Ostwind gunner is good, and you attack alone, you will die every time if you try to strafe.

The only ways to survive:
1.  Work with teammate(s).
2.  Use bombs or rockets.

Remember to attack the Ostwind like you would attack a BUFF or AAA at an airfield.  Flying straight or with a constant g-level will get you killed.  Keep your lift vector moving, i.e. roll and pull.  Concentrate on not getting hit, align your guns for a brief burst, then concentrate on not getting hit again.

Hopefully they fix the Ostwind in 1.05.  The turret SHOULD be vulnerable to all calibers of guns but it's not.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 12-08-2000).]

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
If you and a wingman are attacking an Ostwind, stay on opposite sides of the vehicle.  Whichever side draws fire peels away while the wingman continues the attack.  The most effective fire from any weapon set occurs when all of the guns are harmonized to the same point at 300 yards or closer and your fire is accurately hitting the vehicle at this range.  Start firing about 800 yards out and correct aim so that you maximize the number of hits when all of the bullets converge at the harmonization range.  Hits made beyond 600 yds do significantly less damage per hit than shells that hit at 300 yds or closer.  The sides and rear of the vehicle are the most susceptible to this converged fire.

MiG

Offline onyer6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2000, 11:23:00 AM »
What some newer pilots don't understand unless they get into a vehicle, is that if you come in straight from far out and I line you up as you approach, you, as a target, just get bigger and bigger and easier and easier to hit. When I get sick of being the ded dog in a dogfight, I get into a vehicle where sometimes I renew my spirits. With the right gang up in the air, though I get blitzed before I can set up my guns.

------------------
WW2 veteran combat pilots, in a recent poll, preferred a reset button to realistic flight mode.