Author Topic: B-24J "Booby Trap"  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« on: November 06, 2004, 07:00:59 AM »

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 12:15:42 PM »
nice  job   i like the art work   .the plane  looks really great
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 12:20:18 PM »
Looks great Arlo. :)

Did you do the metal or is it the stock look?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 02:24:28 PM »
Stock look. A couple of hours of cutting and pasting followed up by some touch up work.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »
Hey I like boobies too!
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 03:17:07 PM »
could use some blue on the top, i dont think that is just a lighting effect. probably some sort of camo because it was over the pacific and was probably over water alot of the time.
and the hood needs to be green

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 05:14:07 PM »
No, it's a lighting effect on polished aluminum. I gave the hood a slight tint of green but it had virtually no effect (pardon the pun). Most all aluminum B-24s had a black hood, though and it seems so did this one during at least part of it's lifetime. Looking at various photos of "Booby Trap" (all black and white) some portray the hood darker than others. Also, the hood paint line shifts, apparently revealing it was repainted (chances are black to green or olive drab). But thanks for the additional eye for detail.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 05:17:06 PM by Arlo »

Offline United

• Gold Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 08:50:49 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
No, it's a lighting effect on polished aluminum. I gave the hood a slight tint of green but it had virtually no effect (pardon the pun). Most all aluminum B-24s had a black hood, though and it seems so did this one during at least part of it's lifetime. Looking at various photos of "Booby Trap" (all black and white) some portray the hood darker than others. Also, the hood paint line shifts, apparently revealing it was repainted (chances are black to green or olive drab). But thanks for the additional eye for detail.

I do believe you are wrong there Arlo.  From what I know, most anti-glare panels (hoods) were olive drab, not black.

In the profile you have posted, it shows that the anti-glare panel is close to the same color as the vertical stabilizers.

In this one, you can tell it is green by comparing the color of the shark mouth with that of the AG panel.  The AG panel is lighter than the shark mouth, supporting that it was green.

Here is a website with the "Booby Trap" plane in a die cast.  Though the AG panel may look black, it is actually a dark dark green.
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA34006
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 08:53:09 PM by United »

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 09:35:20 PM »
Awesome work, Arlo..........Skull and Crossbones(or Crossbombs) :D
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 09:43:56 PM »
Yep OD anti glare panels.  Same on the fighters etc.

If you saw a black anti glare panal on a Mustang for example it was done in the field not at the factory.  

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 10:18:11 PM »
Ahhhh ... kind hard to distinguish in B&W. Must account for our default skin hood being black. :D But it sure seems they did a field touchup in the photos I'm looking at that lightened it.

Offline United

• Gold Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 10:24:30 PM »
Ahhhh ... kind hard to distinguish in B&W. Must account for our default skin hood being black. :D But it sure seems they did a field touchup in the photos I'm looking at that lightened it.

If you're looking at several different pictures you must take this into consideration.

In 1944 or so, film wasnt all that great, so it differed a lot.  Some film turned out bright, some was dark, etc so two pictures of the exact same bird using different cameras are probably not going to be the same.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 10:35:19 PM »
Easy enough fix. Personally I'd prefer the OD to this shade of green and even this shade is darker than the profile. Added a very slight blue tint lighting effect to the aluminum skin.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 10:36:47 PM »
Originally posted by United
If you're looking at several different pictures you must take this into consideration.

In 1944 or so, film wasnt all that great, so it differed a lot.  Some film turned out bright, some was dark, etc so two pictures of the exact same bird using different cameras are probably not going to be the same.

Oh, of course not. Which is why I keyed in on the hood paint border. Certainly appears repainted over time.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
B-24J "Booby Trap"
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 10:39:12 PM »
No, it's a lighting effect on polished aluminum. I gave the hood a slight tint of green but it had virtually no effect (pardon the pun). Most all aluminum B-24s had a black hood, though and it seems so did this one during at least part of it's lifetime. Looking at various photos of "Booby Trap" (all black and white) some portray the hood darker than others. Also, the hood paint line shifts, apparently revealing it was repainted (chances are black to green or olive drab). But thanks for the additional eye for detail.QUOTE]
I really think the blue on it is not a lighting effect, because there is no reason why blue would show up on top. If it were reflecting from water then it would show up on the bottom. I think the blue was a small attempt to make it harder to see from fighters above it. also if you look on that black and white picture you posted, you can distinguish some some spots are a little darker than the bare metal (if you look hard enough). I think it wouldnt hurt to go over it with a shade of light blue, then turn the opacity down to maybe 10 or so

(edit) I hit reply before you posted the fixes and  because i was talking on AIM and switching back to typing here you posted before I did, still think that the blue needs to be a little more visible in certain spots.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:43:10 PM by Raptor »