Author Topic: AH FPS Benchmarks?  (Read 728 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 03:21:42 AM »
Nope hes not kidding.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 05:53:42 AM »
Also im not sure if you noticed, but make sure you are NOT running the .NET framework drivers. The normal ones, old style (but newest release) are better performance.

The thing with DDR2 ram is that it is faster transfer but slower  latency. So when you transfer large blocks of information at once its faster, but ah2 needs smaller blocks of mem at a time. So on some applications the ddr2 is faster and others old ddr is faster.

Also if you run a firewall on your system, as is default with xp sp2, that will take some processor time as soon as data is transmitted. Giving free access for ah2 will make it run but slower... saw that in another thread i think not here. Running without will make you vulnerable to attacks though.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 06:06:09 AM »
Midnight, hate to tell you this but Dell is notorious for labelling something in a manner that the routine PC user will see as hot, but people in the know understand is not.  Now, let me put your mind at ease, somewhat.  

Skuzzy is absolutely correct about the memory and the cpu.  I knew this when I bought the system.  BUT, I also researched high and low, looking for the perfect combination of price and system to run AHII.  When you consider the $$, and the fact that we didn't build our systems ourselves, we got a very nice system at a price the boutique builders couldn't touch.  Believe me, I looked.  

This doesn't mean you shouldn't continue with tweaking, etc.  But don't get too bothered by the high latency memory.  If it troubles you all that much, it can be replaced.  Just make sure you match the motherboard.  Also...I ran the game last night at the default settings and it was smooth as silk at 1280x1064, 512 textures preloaded in sys mem and looked fabulous doing it.  Admittedly, we were on a large water map, but it works well.  One hint...turn off the frame rate info from time to time and see if that improves the game experience.  :)

Make sure to post your tweaks and how you're making out!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 06:44:42 AM »
Not kidding Midnight.

Scud, actually you can get some very nice hardware from boutique builders for competitive prices and end up with a better system as well.

Here is an example.
Intel 3.2Ghz Northwood P4
1GB ultra-low latency PC3200 RAM
ATI X800Pro 256MB
120GB HD
Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner
52X CD-ROM drive
Floppy
10/100/1000 Intel Ethernet Controller
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
480W Antec Power Supply
Full Height Aluminum Case (Antec P160)
Microsoft Optical Mouse
Heavy Duty Keyboard
8 USB 2.0 Ports
2 Firewire Ports
LCD Display thermal monitor
3 year warranty
Trade-in program
Windows XP Professional

$2,000.00 sans monitor, delivered

I think that is pretty competitive.  By the way, is Dell shipping an OS CD with the systems these days?  I know many OEM's do not.

NOTE:  This is not a recommendation.  Just information.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »
Skuzzy,

I did receive the OS CD, but that can change day to day.  You're correct that there are lots of competitive sellers out there.  My statement was probably over-broad.  For the specs that I desired, at the time of purchase, my system was the most bang for the buck of those I saw.  That included the monitor since I wanted to increase the size.

There were probably systems out there that may have been better, but I didn't find them.  For my system configuration, the comparable AMD system, at the time of purchase, was around $1k more than I paid for the Intel 3.6 mhz.  I just couldn't justify that delta.  But again, prices change daily and, at the end of my search, I closed my eyes, held my nose and hit the order button knowing that the very next day someone, somewhere, would show me a better deal.  Its just the nature of the pc market.  And believe me, I started out wanting to avoid Dell!!!

As always, your info is bang on.  Thanks for the continued lessons!  
:)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 08:55:05 AM »
OK

I tweaked some more. As mentioned, I'm using a seperate hardware profile for booting to play AH. I went to BlackViper's site and configured my services per his 'power user' configuration. This gets me down to 20 running processes after boot up. I still have some other services running that aren't on BV's list.

Anyway, I manually terminated a few of the other services like 'DVDsomething or other' that I know AH doesn't need, getting me down to 14 processes. Then I start TrackIR, so I have 15 total running before I start AH.

Now, OTR in a P-51D, I am reading a nice 75FPS at 1600x1200x32 with 1024 textures, range and detail sliders about 80% left. I don't get any higher than 75FPS however, even after takeoff and looking at a clear sky. (My monitor refresh rate is 75, so I am guessing that my video card won't push more than the monitor can refresh.)

So now I say.. SWEET... But I have to learn to fight again. I'm so used to <20FPS in combat, the smooth animation is making me miss too much :o

I will post a better detailed list of what processes I have going for the 'Gaming' hardware profile when I get home.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »
Midnight..you're correct that the refresh rate will put a ceiling on the FR with vsync enabled.  Let me know how you configured that pc!

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 09:46:35 AM »
Originally posted by FBScud
Midnight..you're correct that the refresh rate will put a ceiling on the FR with vsync enabled.  Let me know how you configured that pc!

Tell me what parts you want to know...

How to do a different hardware profile, how to disable services in one hardware profile but not the other? I'll give you details on whatever parts you need.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »
If you're willing...

what services you've disabled.  Or should I just hit the Blackviper web site and copy his power user settings?

When you say different hardware profile, if you're talking about the video card settings, I already have that part figured out.  I'm not sure what other hardware profile changes you would make.  After reading your post, if you're talking about something other than the vid card settings, it would be helpful to know how to configure a separate hardwar profile, how yours is set up and how you can choose which one to run.

Thx!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 01:36:47 PM by FBScud »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »
Scud

What I did was make my services list the same as BlackViper's, but in a different hardware profile. Just to give you a preview of what I am talking about, (assuming you are using WinXP) go to System Properties and then click on the Hardware tab.

At the bottom of the hardware window, there is a section that says Hardware Profiles - "Hardware profiles provide a way for you to set up and store different hardware configurations." with a button that says Hardware Profiles.

Click on the button and you go to the Hardware Profiles window. There it says "You can setup hardware profiles for different hardware configurations. At startup, you can choose the profile you want to use." Under that it says "Available Hardware Profiles:"

Then there is a list of the existing hardware profiles on your PC. You probably just have one that says "Profile 1 (Current)"

What I did was copy that and named the new one "Gaming" I re-named the current one to "Standard". Put the one you want as default at the top of the list.

OK.. now to the services

Follow BlackViper's instruction for getting the services window open (there's other ways too, but his way is just as simple)

I made my Gaming hardware profile match BV's "Power User" column on his configuration table. For each service that you want to not have running (disabled), follow this instruction...

1. Double-click the service name and a window pops up the says "service name Properties (Local Computer)"

2. Click on the "Log On" tab. Here you will see a table with 2 columns - Hardware Profile and Service. You should also see your two hardware profile names here now (Standard and Gaming)

3. Click on the "Gaming" profile then click the "Disable" button. The table should be updated to show that service as disabled.

4. Click "OK" and then do that for each service.

When you are done, reboot the computer. You will see a black and white text screen come up asking you to choose a hardware profile to boot with. Choose "Gaming"

Now your system will boot up and all the services you changed will be disabled. The good part is, you can also boot in the "Standard" hardware profile, so all those little helper services you need for printing, networking, file sharing, firewall, etc. are available.

So now, you have a computer that works well for gaming, and is still practicle for non gaming use without having to go back in and enable / disbale services everytime you want to switch what you're doing.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 06:08:58 AM »
THanks for the info!!  I'll give it a try when I get the chance.  BTW, I turned off Vsync yesterday, set video detail to default and my FR went through the roof.  I had a couple of kills and some assists so I'll try this for a while.  One of my squaddies said his kills doubled when he turned Vsync ON.  I'll try it for a while and see we happens.  With Vsync on, I'm getting 60s OTR and 70s-90s when flying.  

LOL...since I'm so bad at this game, its going to be difficult to figure out whether Vsync is affecting my hits or not.  :)

Thanks again!  :aok

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 11:58:19 AM »
Midnight, unless you are actually disabling hardware there really is no reason to create another hardware profile. Just makes you have to reboot before starting AH.

What I do is create a batch file AHPrep.bat and put a line in for each service I want to shut down before playing AH. The lines are like this:

net stop "servicename"

You can get the service name in the services applet. If there are spaces in the name enclose it in quotes.

I also have another batch file to restore these services called AHRest.bat with the lines:

Net start "servicename"

There are also processes that are not services. Look at the process list and if you are suspicious of one look it up in google you should find good info on the process and it it's OK to kill it. Also check your registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and see what's in there. Look them up to and see if you really need them.

Stuff like sound card software, digital cameras and other things will stick things in there that will eat up ram and processor time that you don't want when running AH. (also spyware, watch out for that stuff)

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
AH FPS Benchmarks?
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 12:06:07 PM »
Do an internet search for a program called FSautostart.  It will walk you through which services, and programs to temporaritly shut down, and then restart them when you exit the game.

Pretty slick for us.... non- programmer types.