Author Topic: Tank Aiming  (Read 715 times)

Saladorm

Tank Aiming
« on: August 19, 2000, 02:43:00 AM »
What are the numbers on the tanks main gunsight....and how do i use them????? that's all i want:-)   is there a way to find out someones range..like today i saw 2 tanks and i was in a tank and it took forever to find out where to aim...it sucks...Anyways if anyone can help me i would love it alot

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Tank Aiming
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2000, 05:15:00 AM »
The numbers of the sight represents 100's of yards, so when shooting, aiming with the "12" line, the round will go 1200 yards (1.2K).
To make tanking more challenging all icons were removed for ground to ground purpose, so the only way you can really get to know their range is to either fire a shot and see how far it was off, or have maybe a friendly plane fly over the tank, so you can see HIS range and thereby also the tank's.

----------
Snefens
-=Aces High Training Corps=-
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

eskimo

Tank Aiming
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2000, 11:52:00 AM »
Just keep practicing and you will get it.  
I always fire my first round on one of the numbers, or 1/2 way inbetween.  I Zoom in all the way, unless it's point blank, and just take a guess as to how far away the bandit tank (or ground target) is.  The instant I fire, I move the sight back to the exact same spot that it was when I fired.  Then I take note of whether my aim was high or low and adjust accordingly.  
It is important to zoom in all the way so that you have a consistant size reference that you can use to estimate target distances.

eskimo

Sorrow[S=A]

Tank Aiming
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2000, 06:22:00 PM »
Each of the vertical and horizontal marks are measued "mills". With AP rounds a vertical gap is exactly the same height as a tank. Find a line that is the exact same size as the tank under zoom and you have the range. The gap between the HE rounds is a 40 ft Mil.  This means to hit a building you fit the roof to ground exactly within the gap to find a rough range. Also with HE the horizontal mills can be handy- 40ft is very close to the average wingspan of a plane. To get range on a plane on the runway line up it's wings within the gap.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Tank Aiming
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2000, 05:18:00 AM »
Hmm Sorrow, do you have different sight than me?

I went out and tried that, but to me it seems the sight is "backwards"?, that is, a short gap at short ranges and big at long?!? This way if a tank is very close to me he seems big and I maybe need to fit the gap between 28 and 32 to match his height, or am I missing something bad here?Same goes for the HE's.
Also my horizontal gap stays the same for all ranges, so how can I judge the distance of a plane?

Snefens
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Sorrow[S=A]

Tank Aiming
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2000, 09:01:00 PM »
sorry snefens- sight has changed since I used it last- don't have a farging clue how it works now. The mills all seem the same size roughly and ranges are out to the sides.