Author Topic: Formation Bug  (Read 937 times)

Offline JAZBO1

• Zinc Member
Formation Bug
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 10:17:56 AM »
No Pyro...it happens on all takeoff directions and fields and differnet maps.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Formation Bug
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 11:06:35 AM »
It happens everywhere.  Lastnight I took off with b24's.  The left drone went past me then slowed up and lost alt.  It then went into the ground but cont to fly.  Then it eventually caught up and all was well again,lol.  Btw, I was full throttle when the drone past me.

Dogg
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
Formation Bug
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 03:28:35 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
If you are full throttle, how are the drones suppose to be able to ever catch up? The key is to reduce throttle slightly untill the drones get tucked in.

HiTech

Hitech this does NOT work... I am sick of it.  This is not  a new complaint I have sent in films demonstrating this with all types of bombers - never one reply.  can it be fixed?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:32:54 PM by 6GunUSMC »

Offline magic2n

• Zinc Member
Formation Bug
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 05:41:08 PM »
I've tested looked for this problem on B-17s, B-26s, JU-88s, Lancasters and Ki-67s.  The B-24 is the only bomber that seems to have this takeoff bug.  

As noted above, the work-around is to takeoff in a direction clear of high obstructions, level off at 300-500 feet above ground level and reduce power to 30-35" manifold pressure.   The drone will join the formation in 90-120 seconds and then behave normally.

- MAG1C

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Formation Bug
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 04:09:37 AM »
I rarely have a problem with losing drones on take-off; just takes a bit of patience.  On one flight last night I wasn't paying attention and the take-off direction wasn't the best with hills close to the end of the runway.... I lost both my drones.  I tried again, this time taking off into the opposite direction - OK, I'll have to turn after take-off, no biggie.....   This time the end of the runway was clear and flat, so I hit full throttle and took off.  After getting airborne and gear up, I then levelled off at about 500 ft, went to outside view and pan view mode (F8) to watch as the drones caught up and formed.  Usually they will form OK at 100% throttle, but backing off slightly sometimes helps them to close a bit easier.  As soon as they were formed, it was back to full throttle, I started my turn and began climbing.  It only takes a few minutes, but its well-worth taking the time needed.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
Formation Bug
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 11:09:55 AM »
I dont have the problem EVERY time, but often enough.  If I take off in a certain plane, say a B17 from a set alt with a certain bomb load, the software should be consistent enough that the same method under the same circumstances should produce the same result.  I followed Hitechs instructions to the letter.  I even sent them films 3 times demonstrating this.  They were not interested enough apparently to correct the problem, nor were they even courteous enough to respond to the emails after i took the time to be sure that I followed their instructions AND send them films demonstrating the problem.  This software bug seems to mainly affect the heavy bombers... the b17s, lancs and probably the 24 (i dont fly it)

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Formation Bug
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 02:05:21 PM »
Test Conditions:
B24J
Bomb Load:  8 x 1000 lbs
Fuel: 100%
Flaps: Down 1 notch
Gear: Raised at liftoff

The #2 bomber in the B24J formation out accelerates both the #1 and #3 bombers during the ground roll and gets airborne first.  The #2 bomber then passes the #1 bomber.  What happens next depends on what the #1 bomber does.

If #1 stays low, #2 and #3 will continue to fly runway heading and will attempt to form up either after a certain distance from the runway or when #1 climbs to a certain level above the terrain.  In this scenario there is a danger of loosing both #2 and #3 to the left or right if #1 does not also maintain runway heading.

If #1 climbs at best angle (1 notch of flaps, weak stall horn) and climbs to that certain level above the terrain, both #2 and #3 will attempt to form up immediately.  The #3 bomber will form up quickly – close to the end of the runway.  The #2 bomber, being in front and above #1, will cut its throttles in an attempt to fall back into formation.  But slowing down putts it close to the stall.  #2 then goes into a dive in order to maintain flying speed with cut throttles.  By the time #2 is behind #1 it is well below the formation and cannot accelerate and climb to get into position. Unless the formation levels (or descends slightly) and slows to near stall speed, the #2 bomber will be lost.

I consider the rapid acceleration of the #2 B24J bomber during the takeoff roll a bug.

MachNix

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Formation Bug
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 12:35:20 AM »
I have more problems with the left drone on the 17's than the 24's. With the 24's if I am gentle and stay at a constant light angle I usually don't have much of a problem but the 17's on the other hand go nuts even if I lvl out and cut throttle after achieving 200ft. The left drone shoots over leed then falls back diving and drags on the ground and is usually lost at this point, although I have managed to save it time to time but this usually involvs 5 min of playing with the throttle trying to find that perfect speed.
  And today I managed to get a flight of 17's up intact with some difficulty and after flying for some time made my turn for target and the drones seemed sluggish and acted like the invisible rubber band they are on was getting weak. The drones dropped back some and took awhile to catch up again. Never have this happen on any other bombers even the 24's seem to be ok in this regard.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!