Author Topic: buff tips for those pesky fighters  (Read 860 times)

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
buff tips for those pesky fighters
« on: January 02, 2002, 01:00:00 AM »
these tips are meant for use against the majority of pilots, they do not always apply to the more expierienced fighter pilot.
most buff pilots by nature are patient you have to be for those long flights.where as most fighter pilots are not.many won't bother climbing above you and will fly up your six or attack from below.usually within a 30 deg cone seen from your tail turret.

thier basic approach usually gives away their skill or lack of it.
a tactic which works well against a fighter struggling to climb up to you and close the distance,is to drop back to 1/4 throttle.the distance between you now closes much faster,sometimes faster than they were prepared for giving you maybe that extra second you need.
resist the temptation to aim dead centre of his spinner because in the case of the lanc or the b26 you will only have 2 guns on him if he is low on your six.rather aim for a wing,chop one of those and they are on the way back to the tower.

as you will know you can still turn your buff while in a turret.learn to fire whilst in that turn, a b26 will turn sharp on very little throttle and quite often a fighter will slow with you.and those stubby winged little la7's which make up the majority of ah seem to go into an epileptic fit at that point.

planes diving verticaly down at you are another matter.they are harder to hit as the angle is not so easy to judge and if it's a full house 190 then it only needs a few hits on you and tata.

p51's with they lighter weapons will need a more sustained burst at you so as they come within gun range turn sharp firing as you do.you may take hits but once again if the pilot is a rookie he will try to get back on you as quickly as possible bleeding his airspeed as he does so.
killing the throttles altogether sometimes causes the fighter to fly down in front of you as you may have been under his nose during his initial dive.

against a lanc or the 26 a ho attack is nasty as if he comes down on you all you have are the lanc,s 303's 4 of them or the 26's upper turret.strangely enough i rarely get attacked from this position.
as i have said these tactics work well against the larger potion of attackers,

there are of course the minority who seem to know exactly what you will do before you do it and to those i give a hearty salute.
if you kill one of them then it is usually by luck.a patient well executed attack by a cannon equiped fighter will kill you 9 times out of 10 on the first pass irrespective of your defensive capabilities.

if you are one of the masochists  who insists on flying a ju88 into the local hotspot then there is one good tip i can suggest.as the fighter turns towards you.jump out.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: dracken1 ]
   ;)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: dracken1 ]

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 10:03:00 AM »
Good advice, Dracken, but can you format it a bit? Reads a bit like a WOT (wall of text  :) )

Do you use the set speed command much in a buff? I often set speed to something like 250 mph and jump to the tail gun, keeps 'em behind the tail gun that much longer  :)and you can porpose up and down by playing with the throttle.

I used to use set speed to land Lancs too - drop gear and flaps, set speed to 120, jump to the nose gun for the better view of the runway, you can steer with the rudders (as you know); and control the glide slope with throttle, jumping back to the pilots position just in time to kill the engines and slam on the brakes. I don't do it much now, but it was a big help when I first started.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2002, 11:59:00 AM »
Wiat, a second. You can steer the aircraft while in the tail turret? How do you do this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2002, 12:03:00 PM »
Wiat, a second. You can steer the aircraft while in the tail turret? How do you do this?
use your rudder either foot or on the joystick or keyboard.  ;)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2002, 12:04:00 PM »
While you are in the turrets, the rudder controls will turn the aircraft without disengaging the auto-trim mode I believe.  Try it.

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2002, 08:24:00 PM »
And if you are one of those pesky fighters remember to aim only for the wingtip of the bomber.  You can take out a wingtip with only a few .50 caliber rounds and they fall out of the sky nicely.  It can take all day hitting a Lancaster in the body to kill it, but take a wingtip and down they go.

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2002, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Frost:
And if you are one of those pesky fighters remember to aim only for the wingtip of the bomber.

Hit a wingtip??? I'm lucky if I can hit the damn bomber!!!!

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2002, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boat:

Hit a wingtip??? I'm lucky if I can hit the damn bomber!!!!

lol

btw, be afraid if your in a b17 and i'm in a moss (manage to piss snoopy off with that plane,and hurt his ego at the same time :))

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2002, 04:55:00 PM »
The best way to attack a bomber is from high 12, dive down vertically and open fire on the cockpit, tail or wingtip.

And I can't resist showing my stats fighter vs bombers from last tour.  :)

bluemako has 25 kills and has been killed 3 times against the B-17G.
bluemako has 20 kills and has been killed 1 time against the Lancaster III.
bluemako has 3 kills and has been killed 0 times against the Ju 88.
bluemako has 3 kills and has been killed 1 time against the B-26B.

Buffs 5, mako 51  :D

The only times I get killed vs bombers is if I do a stupid dead six approach.  If you are in a buff, my advice is to practice high deflection, high angle shots.  There are plenty of other guys flying AH that are a lot better than me so you better practice hard.   ;)

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2002, 05:39:00 PM »
dam right in everything you say blue, SALUTE.